New Lukas Moodysson Film - "VI ÄR BÄST!"

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's other films and films featuring actors in his films here.

Moderator: Ian

Re: New Lukas Moodysson Film - "VI ÄR BÄST!"

Postby fish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 am

Excellent stuff.

Can't wait to see it now. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 am

Nice work all. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:27 am

fish wrote:Excellent stuff.

Can't wait to see it now. *:)*

It's well worth checking out, it felt so good to see him back on the happier more feel good films. It reminded me very much of Fucking Amal except for the Lesbian love story :D, but the joyous and feel good streak both films have.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 am

The Observer
Mira Grosin: school, football… and a movie on the side

The star of Lukas Moodysson's new film, We Are the Best!, on landing a movie role at the age of 11

Moments after Mira Grosin arrives, four of her schoolfriends requisition the table next to us, kicking back their chairs and studying the junk shop decor in an exaggerated display of inconspicuousness. "Oh my God, they're stalkers to me," she moans, throwing out her arm to block them from view. "They're true stalkers."

Grosin's portrayal of the pushy, mohican-sporting Klara is one of the joys of We Are the Best!, the new film by Swedish director Lukas Moodysson about three 13-year-old girls starting a punk band in 1980s Stockholm. But for Grosin, making the film already seems long ago. "I don't remember much because it was one-and-a-half years ago and I was only 11."

We're in Café String, an institution in Södermalm, Stockholm's southern island of sourdough cafes and hipster beards. "I live 100m around the corner, and my school is 50m away, so I'm pretty much 'here'. This is my place," she says. She was cast after Moodysson came to her school looking for the modern equivalents of his wife, Coco, whose comic strip about growing up in the area forms the basis of the film. It's easy to see why he chose her. Now 13, she arrives unaccompanied and greets me with a vigorous handshake.

"We have the same energy, me and the character Klara," she says. "We both talk too much and I can be a little bossy. It sounds bad, but she likes to own people, to be the leader." Before the film, Grosin knew nothing of punk. "I'd heard about it, but I'd never actually heard it, and I thought Elvis Presley lived in the 80s."

Nonetheless, she and the other girls worked with Moodysson to write the band's main song, Hate the Sport!, and improvised most of the dialogue. "We got to read the script just once before each scene, and he gave us a feeling we could work with, like 'you're going to be happy', and then we could improvise as much as we wanted. That's why it feels like it's me in the movie."

The film is a big-city counterpart to Moodysson's breakthrough, 1998's Show me Love, when he cast two untrained teenagers as girls growing up in small-town Sweden.

"It's easy to work with girls my age," Grosin says: "He kept telling us how easy we were to work with, because we are so relaxed to the camera."

Still, it wasn't all smooth. "We three girls were living in the same house and we were fighting a lot, like sisters," Grosin recalls. "It was hard to act happy and like I loved them when I was kind of mad at them both."

And far from hating sport like her character, Grosin actually wants to be a professional footballer as well as an actress, which is why she recently turned down an offer of a second film role.

"I thought it was too much. With school and playing football four times a week, I don't have time."

At this point, she notices a friend standing in the cafe window.

"That's my best friend, Liva," Grosin says. "Oh, she's going. OK, thank you very much, it was fun." And with a handshake, she's gone.

We Are the Best! opens in cinemas on Friday
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby snaps » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 pm

2014-04-21 ‘We are the best! / Vi är bäst!’ Review. I’ve been to see it in Nottingham this afternoon.

I loved it, but there again I am biased. I would watch it again. The sort of film you put on when you feel ‘down in the dumps’. Excellent performances extracted by Lukas from a very young cast. Very funny, but somehow very safe.

It deals with the universal themes of how it feels to be 13-years old. It’s about music, fandom, being an outsider, youthful rebellion and the pain and pleasure of being 13-years old.

Occasionally. Just VERY occasionally, just fleetingly it references SML/FA themes. The uncomfortableness of a birthday party. The feeling of being considered a ‘freak’ by contemporaries. A huge packet of ‘O’Boy’ being opened up when the trio go in search of a ‘sugar high’ A flashback by Lukas to his enjoyment/influence of the TV serial ‘Twin Peaks’

Overall? It’s fun and a good romp but VERY dated. Very time-set. In concrete. Historical romance. It’s like the TARDIS has landed in 1982.

FA/ SML was ‘of its time’ So was ‘Tillsammans’ as a retrospective.

I have done a test-run on my own Faceboook site. The feedback is poor. Young people are not that much interested in Psychological archaeology.

If the basic storyline of ‘We are best’ had been transplanted into a contemporary setting of (drop the outdated punk) ‘ ‘’Visual Kei’( itself a rather out-dated mode) then maybe it would have a flood of support.

I don’t know. The World has moved on. People who follow me include contemporaries of Agnes and Elin. THEY want to know ‘What happened after the O’boy’

Well? Tell us Lukas You are so out of touch.

This clip is so fucking hilarious if you understand basic Swedish. ‘homosexuelle’ :DDDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nD2Xquc4N0
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 am

Nice reviews.

Lovin' the O'Boy. *:)* :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 am

Twin Peaks? More like 1991/2 than 82, snapsie!

Sounds like I'll like it. I never did that whole "moving on" thing very well. Always seemed a bit too close to "being fickle" to me. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Official Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtd5A9hnjaU *:)*

Different Trailer from Toronto Fimfest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfPytPjV1xc

Exclusive Clip From Punk Film 'We Are The Best' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xek8RWxLjys
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:12 am

Cool. *:)*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:15 pm

It's now out of the cinema's here in Ireland sadly. Only one week screening, saw it twice and have to say it was as joyous the second time as the first. I think Fucking Amal has a rival for Moodysson's best film, The ending rival's Amal's ending for me. The montage of deleted scenes in the end credits is so cute too.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Q and A at London Film Festival in 2013 with Moodysson, Liv and Mira https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpljiCKS5o

Liv is very well spoken and very friendly seen as Hedvig doesn't have a lot to say in We are The Best!, poor Mira is really shy.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:51 am

Sadly, I suspect Hell would have to freeze twice over before it comes to any cinema near me, so this will definitely be a case of waiting for the DVD.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Ian wrote:Sadly, I suspect Hell would have to freeze twice over before it comes to any cinema near me, so this will definitely be a case of waiting for the DVD.

Yeah sadly anyone will be lucky to see this at a cinema outside the big cities, it was only shown in three cinemas in Dublin and no where else in Ireland and only got a week release at that, even though it got rave reviews.
I'd say the DVD release will be by the end of the summer, I know it's already out on DVD in Sweden cause some people posted on Tumblr they had blu-rays and DVD's already.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby bruno » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:58 am

I am curious about this one.
Any way to buy a DVD with english subtitles ?
bruno
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Bruno.
Nice to hear from you again.

I ordered a copy from a seller on EbayUK.
It hasn't arrived yet but it promised English subtitles and there seemed to be plenty of copies available.

Good luck with finding it. :W
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to General