What does everybody think? [Ett hål i mitt hjärta]

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's other films and films featuring actors in his films here.

Moderator: Ian

Re: What does everybody think? [Ett hål i mitt hjärta]

Postby bruno » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 am

thanks!
bruno
Gold Member

Re:

Postby kant1781 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Kolya wrote:Did Moodysson actually expect people to like this movie or Container? I guess not. Why did he make them then? For art? To prove a point? I really don't know. All I do know is that he didn't make these movies for the people who liked FA.

Why shouldn't the people who like FA be the same people who like Hjärta?

The important thing is to make a distinction (which I tried to make before) between "liking" a film and appreciating it for its artistic value. Probably, when I like something, that means that I enjoy it. I am having a good time experiencing it, it pleases me and makes me feel good (in certain ways). That's beautiful. But surely there are lots of books, films, etc., which no one in a sane state of mind would "like" in that way, but which equally no one in a sane state of mind would not regard as great works. Do you "like" the Diary of Anne Frank or Primo Levis novels about the concentration camps? Do you enjoy reading them, do they make pleasant reads? Of course not. It is a nightmarish experience, it will make you cry and shiver and sob, and you will feel thoroughly bad afterwards. But you can appreciate these books nonetheless for the infinite human value they embody, because they touch you so much - in a way that hurts. And in that way they can be dear to your heart even if experiencing them will, every time, completely ruin your day. You appreciate them because they have that power. Now, all I say is that the same goes for certain films. They should be appreciated in the same way, even if one cannot possibly like them. Lilja 4-ever, to me, certainly is such a film. And Hjärta, even though it is not an exceptionally good film, is, too. At least it deserves to be given a chance on that count.

That is why I do not see why Lukas should not have had the very same people in mind as his audience when he did FA and when he did Hjärta. True, almost everyone will love (enjoy) FA, and almost no one will love (enjoy) Hjärta. But that doesn't mean that one could not appreciate them both because they both completely succeed what they are trying to do, which is making us see aspects of our world which are real. FA depicts something beautiful and wonderful, the triumph of love over hatred, fear, and prejudice, so seeing it is a wonderful experience. And these things really do happen! Hjärta depicts something terrible, the victory of stupidity, greed, and isolation over humanity, decency, and love, so seeing it is a terrible experience. Nevertheless, these things are also real. They also happen. Moodysson shows them, with the same kind of directness and naturalness as he depicts the beauty of love. (I still cannot understand why showing things like that is automatically considered to be "preachy".) You will love the one and dislike the other, yet both of them succeed in the same way. One can appreciate that, and in that way one can appreciate both types of Moodysson films. I do. So he probably had people like me in mind O-) :wink: .
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby ivana » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:01 am

So hello!
I am a new member here, but have been reading forum for some time, surprised at the commitment and longevity that it has sustained for years, which is unusual for internet forums, and also the depth of discussions about films and art here.
I watched all Moodysson's feature films, except the last one "We are the best", put I plan to watch it soon.
I watched "Ett hål i mitt hjärta" 9 years ago in cinema, but since then it didn't leave my mind. I still vividly remember many scenes and dialogues, as well as my thoughts and impressions. It was one of rare films that made me feel fascinated and nauseous at the same time.
This discussion is very interesting to read, as it touches upon many themes. I agree with kant 1718 that there is something like "Moodysson-verse" - the view of the world characteristic for him, where all of the characters and topics of his films feel connected. Also, it is very fruitful to think about "Ett hål i mitt hjärta" as grimmer and darker version of "Fucking Amal". I like that interpretation and find it useful when thinking about how and why his first two films differ from the next two films he made. He did change in style, but not in theme. It is still depiction of lost innocence, outsiders, young people inhabiting soul-crushing capitalist world and surviving via dreams and love.
However, maybe i am the only one who didn't actually mind the preachy and obvious stylistic devices Lukas used in this film. I actually liked that the message is so obvious and so crude, even when it's overdone, I think it provoked people to ruminate more on it. He didn't want people to enjoy the film, au contraire, his intention was to disgust them and create cognitive dissonance that would inspire them to think deeper about the film.
But I did enjoy some aspects of the film: I enjoyed the way it was acted and directed, sometimes I really like when directors go over the edge, and are not afraid to give in to their creative impulses, even if they know that they are creating messy and flawed art (someone said John Waters :D ) and that is what I appreciate the most about this great film.
I remember an interview where Lukas said that at some point in his life he began watching regularly some reality show (probably "Big brother"), and thinking about that, he wanted to find out why people have the need to watch this kind of a "product". You can see that they way he directed "Ett hål i mitt hjärta" resembles in a way those reality shows (shocking images, sexual and aggressive behaviour, shallow characters, the way the camera moves, "realistic" style of filming etc), but he decidedly goes much deeper than that and decides to show us the other, humane side of those characters and depth of their desperation. So, in a way, this film feeds us with all the filthy media images, but not in order to shock or amuse us, but in order to purify us, to help us overcome them. And that is exactly how I felt when I walked out of the cinema 9 years ago: cleansed, excited and thoroughly shaken.
There, those were my two cents :)
ivana

Postby fish » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:54 am

ivana wrote:...There, those were my two cents :)

Wow.
For two cents we sure got a lot. *:)* :P

Hi Ivana, and welcome to the Forum. :W
Yes. I think we're an unusual bunch too.
Maybe we should all be committed. :T :P :lol:

As I've said in the past I haven't seen "Ett hål i mitt hjärta", mainly because it got such bad reviews that I thought it would be a waste of money.
In fact I think yours are the most positive words I've ever read about it.
Maybe I need to have a fresh assessment of it in the near future.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:13 am

Welcome ivana! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Well come ivana!
Benvingut!
Ongi etorri!
Santi
Crew Member

Postby ivana » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:42 am

Thanks a lot for welcoming me :D
I hope we will have many interesting discussions :)
Heheh, yes, well, the words just kept on coming, so yeah, my two cents seemed to actually be bigger coins :lol:
ivana

Postby fish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:39 am

ivana wrote:...I hope we will have many interesting discussions :)

I hope so too. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:07 pm

I think it's happening right now! - and your English is perfect, Ivana.

Welcome. 8)
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby ivana » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:13 am

Thanks again :oops:
Well, yes, I read and talk in English quite a lot, even if it isn't my mother tongue.
Btw, fish, this is the film that I never recommend to anyone :o Simply because I am aware how specific it is, and I know that most people don't experience it in the same way that I did. When I watched it in the cinema, more than 30 people walked out of it, in protest and disgust. So, it isn't quite likeable film, and it's hard to say: "Hey, you should watch this. Great movie. Btw, they throw up in each other's throats and there are documentary scenes of vaginal plastic operation." :lol:
Also, here is one of my favourite scenes, which also reminds me a lot of FA (and has none of the scenes mentioned in my previous sentence xD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U_w-UAlckM
She looks so lost there, like a cross-over between Elin and Agnes.
ivana

Postby fish » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:05 am

ivana wrote:... like a cross-over between Elin and Agnes.

Yes.
The blonde, the brunette and the bridge.
Superficially similar but obviously a much darker story.

I'm still very unsure but I'll certainly do the research on it.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:12 am

This movie don't like scenes
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:29 am

ivana wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U_w-UAlckM

I saw a bridge.
FA!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby ivana » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Heheh, yes, the usual scene on the bridge, typical for Moodysson :o
But not only that, the character and vulnerability of the blonde girl remind me a lot of Elin.
ivana

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:56 pm

My computer is 24 hours sharing movies. *:)*

I see all movies in the computer.
First I look it, jumping minutes and if I like it then I see whole it. :Y

The minuts jumping of Lukas don't like me much.

Perhaps sometimes I lose good films... :cry:
and other wastes no time on silly "the end" of movie. :D
Santi
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to General