First impressions of Mammoth

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's other films and films featuring actors in his films here.

Moderator: Ian

Re: First impressions of Mammoth

Postby kant1781 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:34 pm

Well he didn't exactly say that there's no planning or careful attention involved in the process of making movies, didn't he :lol: . That would be rather ridiculous. What he said is that his movies do not start from some strategic planning committee session ("Okay guys, we want to make a blockbuster. What could it be about? Ideas please!"), but rather develop out of some (rather funny or strange) ideas that just come to him as a matter of chance or luck. That's the part that "just happens" and I think he's quite serious about that. Of course, turning the lucky idea into a finished product then involves hard work and careful planning.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:47 pm

I rented the DVD. I was impressed and didnt expect to be after ''A Hole in My Heart'' etc :roll: This was Moodysson on big budget with simultaneous action in NY, Philippines and Thailand. The lead actors put in great performances, which helped leaven the rather ''preachy'' style Moodysson has sometimes. A zillion miles from FA. To be fair though he did successfully interweave very personal life stories with his concerns over global issues. Personally, I don't think you need a huge budget to make a film of a good story. A good story is just that, and as far as I am concerned it could be just as easily be told with puppets in a stage show. He clearly now has the personal confidence, technical expertise, and commercial credibility to produce a follow-up to FA. Ima guessin I might even hate it. Doesn't matter. WE want to see where he takes the story next. It has a life of its own. He won't be able to bury it forever. It will eat away at him. If he could produce a story as compelling as FA, with a budget to match Mammoth, and with actors who had the sparkle of Bex and Alex, he could bring FA to the attention of an entire generation who by-passed FA.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:54 am

snaps wrote:...If he could produce a story as compelling as FA, with a budget to match Mammoth, and with actors who had the sparkle of Bex and Alex, he could bring FA to the attention of an entire generation who by-passed FA.

Now there's an Idea I'd like to see come to fruition. *:)* *:)*

I just hope Alex and Bex pass your thoughts on to Lukas when they next visit us. :P

I'm glad you enjoyed Mammoth. I thought it was excellent. 8)
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Much though I would love to see Bex and Alex together again, I'm still unconvinced its a good idea. Still too easy to cock it up entirely and even retrospectively spoil FA to an extent.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby oeb » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think a re-visit to Fucking Åmål is very likely, but you never know. The announcement of Lukas Moodysson's next film shouldn't be too far away. Up until Container he released a film every other year, but there were three years between Container and Mammoth so I guess a 2012 release is the earliest possible considering nothing is known yet.
oeb
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:15 am

Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 pm

and that is connected to ''Mammoth'' in what way Magnus? :shock: Sorry, it flew over my head. :roll:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 am

Since when does Magnus need a reason? :roll: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Interesting four pages of discussion on XIXAX about Moodysson's films, but of especial interest is an interview with him published 5th March 2011. The english translation is in the last post on page 4.

http://xixax.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=nv7c1lt07vjnio7938agok4s05&topic=1740.45

the Swedish original is on: http://tinyurl.com/3kjbg7z
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:30 am

Hmmm. :?

Maybe it's the translation or just a poor interview(er?) but he seemed all over the place. :T
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby katka » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:30 pm

hmmm :roll: it seems that he will not be already director...at least for a long time :T
katka
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Yes it says Mammoth wasn't a success, and he might not make any more films at all

I guess this means we'll have to make that FÅ sequel ourselves :shock:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 am

Hmmm.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:29 am

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:...I guess this means we'll have to make that FÅ sequel ourselves :shock:

It could happen. :roll: :T :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Previous

Return to General