Total Eclipse of the Heart

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Eldsjäl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 am

As some of you probably know Lukas actually had a few different songs in mind before finally going with Foreigners' I Want To Know What Love Is for the famous kissing scene. Very early on he had thought of using Scorpions' You and I when first writing this scene, but then later changed his mind and instead wanted to use Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart. This song turned out to have a really hefty price tag so it just wasn't possible for the crew to include it.

Ever since I heard about this I've always thought that Total Eclipse of the Heart would go really well with the moment Elin and Agnes kisses each other inside the car. With that being said I've now taken it upon myself to edit in Bonnie Tyler in order to get a feel of what might could have been.

Edit: New link https://youtu.be/Eh_BYMQVs3M

If I were to spend weeks on this I could edit out Foreigner more elegantly but right now I don't feel like doing that. You could see this as a first draft maybe. Perhaps I'll make another one with Scorpions later. Edit: Done! https://youtu.be/VBeoqsTS9Oo

What do you think? Would it have been better if we had got Bonnie Tyler in FÅ instead of Foreigner? :-)
Last edited by Eldsjäl on Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
User avatar
Eldsjäl
Faithfull Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Santi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:19 am

I like what you have do...
The most important is to be happy!
(sorry for my mistakes I don't speak english very well.
I write and read with the help of Google Translate)
Catalonia, new state of the world!
User avatar
Santi
Crew Member
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:31 am
Location: Catalonia

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby fish » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 am

Mmm????
It played once, then I wanted to watch it again and it crashed. :?
Now I can't get the link to load.
Only error messages. :(

Made a nice alternative to Foreigner.
Not sure it was a better choice or not for the film, but I always liked Bonnie Tyler and Total Eclipse suits the scene. :D
Fish
User avatar
fish
Crew Member
 
Posts: 13427
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:34 am
Location: Adelaide, Oz

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Eldsjäl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am

The clip got flagged for copyright infringement which kind of was to be expected. I just didn't think it would happen so fast.

Let's see how long this one stays up: https://youtu.be/Eh_BYMQVs3M

Hopefully it will only get demonetized so that people still can watch it.

fish wrote:Not sure it was a better choice or not for the film, but I always liked Bonnie Tyler and Total Eclipse suits the scene. :D

Foreigner still fits the scene well but I actually think Bonnie Tyler would've made it even more powerful.
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
User avatar
Eldsjäl
Faithfull Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby snaps » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 am


I'm not a great fan of Bonnie Tyler and I think 'Eclipse' would haver been too powerful as a song and OTT. I really do like the Foreigner song with its mood of quiet depression exploding out into the anthemic chorus. Looking through the list of what was around in 1998, frankly doesn't look like a memorable year for music. The only 'natural' one that comes to mind, like Foreigner goes further back. It's 'There is a light that never goes out' by The Smiths. It would have fit in with the preamble to the written script by Moodysson quoting Morrissey and the link to the photo of him in Agnes' bedroom. The Smiths generally would have been Agnes type music of lonely misunderstood teen. Musically the song is not too invasive. Lyrically it encapsulates Elin's wreckless desire for adventure and passion: 'take me out tonight etc' but resounds in the second half with Agnes desperation 'And in the darkened underpass I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask' from which a sample could have best been taken.
*:)*

You can hear the song with Lyric subs in English on this link >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfCFxA6Jvj8
'Jag jagar drömmen som blev sann.' Image
User avatar
snaps
Crew Member
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: Fiskargatan 9, Södermalm, 11620 STOCKHOLM

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby fish » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 am

Eldsjäl wrote:Let's see how long this one stays up...

First thing I did was download it before the powers that be removed it.
May have been for the Vid rather than the Audio though. :roll: :P :lol:


Like The Smiths too, but that song is so dark.
Not sure it would help Agnes' depression in any way at all. :cry: *:|* *:)* :P
Fish
User avatar
fish
Crew Member
 
Posts: 13427
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:34 am
Location: Adelaide, Oz

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:23 am

Love Bonnie Tyler, but I do like it the way it is.
I actually used that song for a Bex/Bear's Kiss vid, ironically enough. :wink:
User avatar
Ian
Webmaster
 
Posts: 12749
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:39 am
Location: Round the Bend

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Eldsjäl » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:40 am

snaps wrote:I'm not a great fan of Bonnie Tyler and I think 'Eclipse' would haver been too powerful as a song and OTT.

I can absolutely see where you are going with this. I asked myself before whenever or not it would be too much for the scene. It would definitely give it a different tone.

snaps wrote:I really do like the Foreigner song with its mood of quiet depression exploding out into the anthemic chorus.

Well I don't know about it being depressive. I'd say that it's more neutral, especially when the chorus is taken out of context.

snaps wrote:Looking through the list of what was around in 1998, frankly doesn't look like a memorable year for music.

Perhaps not a particularly good year for deep and expressive love songs that hit the mainstream. ;-)

I actually look back at 1998 as a pretty good year for music. :-) But that's relatively speaking now as I thoroughly enjoy the dance songs of the era that's generally considered to be devoid of any substance. The Danish dance act Crispy for example, one of my favorite groups of all time (at least on a sentimental level), released their only album that year. Not to mention some of the songs from the FÅ soundtrack which was brand new in '98. But I'm going way off topic here.

snaps wrote:The only 'natural' one that comes to mind, like Foreigner goes further back. It's 'There is a light that never goes out' by The Smiths. It would have fit in with the preamble to the written script by Moodysson quoting Morrissey and the link to the photo of him in Agnes' bedroom. The Smiths generally would have been Agnes type music of lonely misunderstood teen. Musically the song is not too invasive. Lyrically it encapsulates Elin's wreckless desire for adventure and passion: 'take me out tonight etc' but resounds in the second half with Agnes desperation 'And in the darkened underpass I thought oh God my chance has come at last, but a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask' from which a sample could have best been taken.

It could very well add a greater meaning as you're describing it but I think the overall mood of the scene needs something slightly more uplifting at least. If it were to leave a pronouncedly positive impact on the audience, which I believe is necessary.

fish wrote:May have been for the Vid rather than the Audio though.

Possibly yes. :-)

Ian wrote:Love Bonnie Tyler, but I do like it the way it is.
I actually used that song for a Bex/Bear's Kiss vid, ironically enough.

Care to fetch me a link or is it long gone? :-) Were you aware of all this at the time of making that video?
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
User avatar
Eldsjäl
Faithfull Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Eldsjäl » Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 am

I made a new version with Scorpions' You and I in it: https://youtu.be/VBeoqsTS9Oo

Worked out better than I thought it would!
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
User avatar
Eldsjäl
Faithfull Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby fish » Sun May 06, 2018 3:43 am

Very nice.
I saved it too, just in case it disappears, you know how it is. :T *:)* :lol:
Fish
User avatar
fish
Crew Member
 
Posts: 13427
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:34 am
Location: Adelaide, Oz

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Ian » Sun May 06, 2018 9:26 am

Nice. :D

This is my Bear's Kiss/Total eclipse vid (from 10 years ago! :shock: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VP1XZZoZIw

:D
User avatar
Ian
Webmaster
 
Posts: 12749
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:39 am
Location: Round the Bend

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Eldsjäl » Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 am

I realized now that I've seen a good amount of your videos throughout the years, particularly the interviews you've uploaded. :-)

Ian wrote:(from 10 years ago! :shock: )

Wow, I have a hard time processing that YouTube is 13 years old.
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
User avatar
Eldsjäl
Faithfull Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby fish » Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 am

Another nostalgia post.
Klubb Åmål is a gay (mainly lesbian) club in Göteborg.

This little vid was posted on Insta back in Jan 2015.
I made a gif, but it's well worth watching the vid for 15 seconds. https://www.instagram.com/p/yAGrpnw8zz/?tagged=klubb%C3%A5m%C3%A5l
The song being played is Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart".
It's like they knew we'd be discussing it three years into the future.
Ooh! Spooky. :shock: *:)* :lol:

Image
Fish
User avatar
fish
Crew Member
 
Posts: 13427
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:34 am
Location: Adelaide, Oz

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Ian » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am

Eldsjäl wrote:I realized now that I've seen a good amount of your videos throughout the years, particularly the interviews you've uploaded. :-)
.


I am ubiquitous. :P :mrgreen: :wink:
User avatar
Ian
Webmaster
 
Posts: 12749
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:39 am
Location: Round the Bend

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Eldsjäl » Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 am

fish wrote:This little vid was posted on Insta back in Jan 2015.
I made a gif, but it's well worth watching the vid for 15 seconds. https://www.instagram.com/p/yAGrpnw8zz/?tagged=klubb%C3%A5m%C3%A5l
The song being played is Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart".
It's like they knew we'd be discussing it three years into the future.

How oddly coincidental, thanks for sharing this!
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
User avatar
Eldsjäl
Faithfull Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am
Location: Sweden


Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron