any other films involving lesbians?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby t.A.T.u.4ever » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:27 pm

You guys have named most of them but what about fingersmith or D.E.B.S?Rent also has a lesbian relationship in it also and i just loveeeee that movie! :D I didnt really like my summer of love because like both of them were like psycho in it!I loved better than chocolate it was awesome!Im ordering "all over me" and i was wondering if it was any good? :?
name-Tiffany
D.O.B-April 9, 1990
location-usa
sexuality-lesbian
music-t.A.T.u.,Missy Higgins,avenged sevenfold,evanescence,the veronicas
t.A.T.u.4ever
Gold Member

Postby Kolya » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:18 pm

No. Despite All over me having quite a few similarities with FÅ (americanised you could say) it's characters never really become someone to relate with. And the ending is just: "Mkay, so this it?"
Kolya
Gold Member

SPLASH

Postby Kolya » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:37 pm

Okay, I only wish the best for you folks, really I do, and this time you gotta trust me ... SPLASH
This movie is not about lesbians, it's about a vegetable seller looking for a love that he can't find. This girl he met one time when he was 6 years old. And okay yeah, she's a mermaid.
Now don't give me that look... :roll:
NOW DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK!
I know how this sounds! But hey, you know how FÅ sounds when you try to describe the action? Exactly.
So why do I even post this here? Because I think that at least some of you are really looking for a movie about romance and impossible love, captured in a way that makes you smile,feel bad and laugh with it's characters. And I'm not just talking about some cheap Warm & Fuzzy Feeling(TM) here, but pure, unadulterated joy. :D
Those of you who are looking for adult-rated stuff instead should have given up by this threadlength anyway, am I rite confirm/deny. :P
Splash is from the dark ages of the eighties of the twentieth century (1984), but it has dated very well. Just read some of the imdb reviews, if you don't believe me.
Then get this movie and an extra blissful smile on your face (at the end).
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby jaret » Sun May 14, 2006 9:45 pm

I just saw "all over me" i'ts not bad, but can get a bit boring at times, but it's still good. I'm not sure if it's the poor NYC area it's set on o if it's the firector's fault but it turned out slightly slow. I'd still recommend it to anyone, so TATU4ever, go for it!
jaret

Postby Max Lynx » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:15 am

You can try the english movie ''My Summer Of Love'' great surprise!!! :D
Also the american Thirteen.Also ''Body Shots'' has interest thought great film with Tara Reid :)
Max Lynx
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:14 am

The only other one I like is DEBS. It's goofy as hell, and not in the same league as SML, but it's sweet and fun and likeable.

I don't really call either of them 'lesbian movies', though. They're love stories. And I like a good love story, slushy git that I am. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:25 am

I was going to post this in the other thread but then remembered this one and since I haven't seen it to know what sort of story it tells it probably fits better here for now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0869977/

Naissance des pieuvres

Summer in a new suburb outside Paris. Nothing to do but look at the ceiling. Marie, Anne and Floriane are 15. Their paths cross in the corridors at the local swimming pool, where love and desire make a sudden, dramatic appearance.

I'll probably catch it sometime this week and report back but if you see it in the meantime and it's awful don't blame me. :)

Also keep in mind that this isn't a genre I've spent much time watching and the only thing I've seen in this thread that I've watched and liked so far (and it's only tangentially related as it's both TV and not about lesbians, though it is really good and has the life-affirming aspect of FÅ down) is Dead Like Me.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 am

I love Dead Like Me!

:wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby hcd » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 am

D*ng, you beat me to it. I wanted to recommend this movie too.

I'll probably catch it sometime this week and report back but if you see it in the meantime and it's awful don't blame me.

It's definitely not awful. It's very cool in its way. I like the music which is used in the trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJCYVn6Hb4)
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby mpox » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 am

hcd wrote:

D*ng, you beat me to it. I wanted to recommend this movie too.

Did you see it on Cinema Obscura as well? The story reminded me a bit of FÅ, like the girl who looks a bit like Charlotte Gainsbourg as Agnes and has a crush on the popular girl, etc. I'll catch it sometime this weekend.

codyw1 wrote:I love Dead Like Me!

There's supposed to be a direct-to-dvd movie out sometime soon, and if that does well it could make a return to TV. There was a trailer on youtube that didn't look too great, but most of the cast is back and if they do get it back on TV odds are good they could get Mandy back as Rube. I mean, he's not busy now since he quit his other show.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby hcd » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:15 pm

Did you see it on Cinema Obscura as well?

No, I did it old-school. I bougth the French DVD. (It's French only without subtitles. The English DVD will be released on July 7th. Well, that's what Amazon says.) Btw, what's Cinema Obscura? www.cinema-obscura.com?

Here's a canapé for you all: You're gonna love this [Edit: Video deleted because some jerk flagged this originally unrated scene.]

Charlotte Gainsbourg

Never heard about her. But google spits out a lot of information...

Offtopic: Why is this forum software not able to encode UTF-8 automatically? That's so reactionary.
Last edited by hcd on Fri May 30, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby mpox » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:38 pm

hcd wrote:
Did you see it on Cinema Obscura as well?

No, I did it old-school. I bougth the French DVD. (It's French only without subtitles. The English DVD will be released on July 7th. Well, that's what Amazon says.) Btw, what's Cinema Obscura?

Ah, sorry to steal your thunder then. :(

CO is a private torrent tracker dedicated to obscure, foreign or arthouse films. It just seemed an odd coincidence that you'd have seen it around the same time that it showed up there.

I have English subs for it though, and can get Dutch. I think we've had the subtitles discussion though. :lol: If you watch it in VLC you should be able to use them, let me know if you want them and I'll PM you a link.

Here's a canapé for you all: You're gonna love this.

Noo... I can't watch any previews of anything before the actual movie, I want to see it fresh.

Never heard about [Charlotte Gainsbourg]. But google spits out a lot of information...

She's Serge Gainsbourg's daughter with Jane Birken. She's done a lot of film work and just had an album out with support from members of Air, Jarvis Cocker, etc.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby mpox » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 am

OK, I finally got around to Naissance des pieuvres (Water Lillies)...

Like I mentioned there are some surface similarities to FÅ. There is a shy quiet girl (Marie) who doesn't associate with the in-crowd and the popular girl (Florianna) she has a crush on. It's a darker story though, the crush is more like an obsession and Florianne is more like Camilla. I'll have to watch it again to get a better idea of her intentions, right now I'd say Florianne mostly just seemed interested in herself and didn't care what the reults from her actions are. Then again, she's 15. It's easy to forget how emotionally immature kids can be when they're played with complexity and depth like in some of these films, but more often than not they aren't going to really be like that.

Of the films I've seen in this thread this is the one I'd recommend. The acting is a bit hit & miss but the girl who plays Marie is great, her performance reminded me a bit of how Rebecka played Agnes, both characters were on the taciturn side but the actresses' non-verbal acting conveyed volumes) and the story is compelling. I like it when things aren't given to you on a silver platter and there are enough undercurrents and unresolved issues here where you can have a discussion about the film afterwards rather than just be like - oh, OK then.

There's one more film I'll probably see in the near future with lesbian characters (Auf der anderen Seite) but I think it's more of a political drama than a love story so I'll skip the writeup here unless it turns out otherwise.
mpox
Gold Member

Postby hcd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:58 am

Ah, sorry to steal your thunder then.

Don't worry about it.

If you watch it in VLC you should be able to use them, let me know if you want them and I'll PM you a link.

I've got the English subs already, but still thanks. I had to save the whole movie as an avi file to watch it with subtitles. Since I got MPC (Media Player Classic) to play flv files, I prefer it. In contrast to VLC, MPC allows you to move through flv files just by moving the slyder or clicking somewhere on the timeline. If you do that in VLC, the slyder always snaps to the beginning of the movie. So you have to use fast forward instead, which is more than annoying.

Noo... I can't watch any previews of anything before the actual movie, I want to see it fresh.

Wow, really? Well, okay, if you use torrents you can do so. But if you're going to buy a DVD you woudn't do it out of the blue, right?

She's Serge Gainsbourg's daughter with Jane Birken. She's done a lot of film work and just had an album out with support from members of Air, Jarvis Cocker, etc.

Uh... I don't know any of them. Seems that I'm way behind the times somehow.

Like I mentioned...

Good description.

the girl who plays Marie is great

I second that. Have you noticed how she holds her hand just before she eats the rest of the apple? I've tried to copy it - but boy, no way.

I'm gonna love the music. And I like the end (the last frames).

edit:

I've found a comparison between "Naissance des pieuvres" and "Fucking Amal" here. Unfortunately it's completely in French. So I've tried google translate, which offers this rough translation. (I know, the translation sucks, but it's okay to get the idea.)
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby mpox » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:51 pm

hcd wrote:

Wow, really? Well, okay, if you use torrents you can do so. But if you're going to buy a DVD you woudn't do it out of the blue, right?

If I didn't use a torrent I'd use netflix but part of the problem with that is knowing what to watch, I suppose we'll all have official download services we can use soon. Anyway, I just meant that if you saw that scene out of context it's likely you'd have a very distorted idea of the film, I like it better when you can go into the movie without any preconceived notions. Of course they spoil movies in trailers all the time, and maybe they showed that scene in a trailer as well.

Uh... I don't know [Serge Gainsbourg, Jane Birken, Charlotte Gainsbourg]. Seems that I'm way behind the times somehow.

Oh, they're all quite old and possibly dead, well, except for Charlotte. When I first started checking out music online a few years ago I got into this podcast that had a mix of garage rock & old French pop, so I started checking some of that out and Serge Gainsbourg was one of the big movers of that time. Jane Birken was one of his girlfriends or something and mainly an actress but they did do some music together. Charlotte is their daughter who has done both movies and some music. So nothing to feel out of the loop about. :)

the girl who plays Marie is great

I second that. Have you noticed how she holds her hand just before she eats the rest of the apple? I've tried to copy it - but boy, no way.

I'm gonna love the music. And I like the end (the last frames).

Hah, no I'll have to pay more attention when I see it again, that was a hard scene to watch because it showed the depth of her obsession.

I wasn't crazy about the Anne character, but it was nice to see that they'd still be friends. There were hints that they were more than that but my impression was that Florianne was more inclined towards that direction than Anne, just that she didn't want to give up guys and if push came to shove it was Marie who would be shown the door. It could be too that she was just using Marie, and maybe she just wanted to see if she could get her to acknowledge her attraction, but that doesn't seem right either.

I've found a comparison between "Naissance des pieuvres" and "Fucking Amal"

Cool, I'll have to read that. It's sad that there are so few Swedish translation services online. I did like the translation the site I found made for part of the poem in FÅ (that we see when Elin bumps the mouse) better than the ones I saw later, it'd take too long to try to dig up more of it but it was the part where it talks about people as planets revolving around Elin, it translated what is down here as "turn" as "whirl" instead, which I liked because it doesn't sound so ordered and deliberate, so maybe the machines aren't all bad. :)
mpox
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)