Who is the most sympathetic character *POLL*

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Who is the most sympathetic character?

Pappa Olof
80%
Johan Hult
20%
Markus
No votes

Total votes : 10

Who is the most sympathetic character *POLL*

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:05 am

Who is most sympathetic?

Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Re: Who is the most sympathetic character *POLL*

Postby fish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:07 am

Couldn't vote for Markus because he was a self centred arsehole.

Couldn't vote for Johan because he was a dork who got to sleep with Elin and was going to sleep with Jessica.

My vote goes to Olof for trying to be a good parent to Agnes. That would be a really tough gig and he tied so hard.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:15 am

definitely Johan Hult, because Elin treated him so badly and he deserves our sympathy. Besides, han är så söd!

PS: Why was he going to sleep with Jessica? Did I miss something here?
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 am

I went for Papa Olof. Clearly loved his daughter, and couldn't see anything unsympathetic about him.

Johan wasn't a bad guy but he was too dim and weak-willed.

Markus was an ass. :evil:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:04 pm

Larsen wrote:....PS: Why was he going to sleep with Jessica? Did I miss something here?

When Johan was being consoled by Jessica outside the school near the end of the film it was obviously going to be the start of a new relationship for them both. IMHO.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:52 pm

OK so the ladies have a ''prettiest'' poll while the guys have a ''sympathetic'' poll? :T Duuur well Papa Olof gets mine for being sympathetic, AND he's also sexiest of the three. So there. :Y
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm

My vote goes to Olof as well
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:17 am

fish wrote:
Larsen wrote:....PS: Why was he going to sleep with Jessica? Did I miss something here?

When Johan was being consoled by Jessica outside the school near the end of the film it was obviously going to be the start of a new relationship for them both. IMHO.

This is a rather bold theory, imo. To me this looked like a friend consoling another.

My overall impression of Johan was that of a kind, insecure guy. If you think about it, Johan was the only one of the main characters who would never hurt anybody. One of my favorite scenes is the one where Johan is sitting on that bench, deeply depressed, after Elin dismissed him by phone, without Johan having the slightest clue WHY. He was realy in love with Elin, I'm sure that he would have treated her kindly. After all, he is a rather tragic figure, this pure guy.
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:36 am

snaps wrote:OK so the ladies have a ''prettiest'' poll while the guys have a ''sympathetic'' poll? :T Duuur well Papa Olof gets mine for being sympathetic, AND he's also sexiest of the three. So there. :Y

Given the preponderance of heterosexual males on this forum, I suspect a "sexiest man in FA" poll would have, er, one voter - ie you.

:P :wink: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:17 am

Larsen wrote:This is a rather bold theory, imo. To me this looked like a friend consoling another.

As backup to my theory I need only look as far as the hockey training scene where Jessica says words to the effect of "Johan seems nice. If I wasn't with Markus I'd.......".
Johan is nice, no doubt about it, I just think he wasn't what Elin needed. His personality and goals in life seemed more compatible with Jessica. As you say, in that scene it was one friend consoling another, but I was looking into the future when she dumped Markus and started seeing Johan.

codyw1 wrote:Given the preponderance of heterosexual males on this forum, I suspect a "sexiest man in FA" poll would have, er, one voter - ie you.

Naahh!
I'd have found the courage to vote for Olof too. I've told you before, I have no pride. :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:21 am

I concur with my learned colleague Mr Fish, having watched the film again last night. Jessica quite clearly states her dissatisfaction with Marcus and her warming to Johan. It is partly why she is annoyed by Elin's seeming indifference. :evil: In my longer term project about FA ten plus years on Jessica and Johan end up happily married as Mr and Mrs Amal Average :Z Elin ends up in a mutually unhappy relationship with Marcus after Agnes goes off to university in Stockholm, that is until on old flame is rekindled ... :)P
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 am

snaps wrote:I concur with my learned colleague Mr Fish....

What a very nice kind of thing to say. :oops: No one has ever agreed with me about anything before. :lol:
Tell you what, in the next "prettiest" poll you're going in there, right after Moa. :P
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:01 pm

snaps wrote: Elin ends up in a mutually unhappy relationship with Marcus :)P

Sorry, snaps, but I would have to refrain from reading such a piece of fan fiction on the grounds that it would make me want to poke my eyes out with sharp sticks.

:shock: :T :W
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:35 pm

fish wrote: Tell you what, in the next "prettiest" poll you're going in there, right after Moa. :P

I'm playing second billing to a sheep :shock: I'm overwhelmed with flattery, thát's the nicest things anyone's said to me in a long while. :oops: Normally I'm typecast as the rear end of a pantomime horse. :Y

codyw1 wrote: .... it would make me want to poke my eyes out with sharp sticks. :shock: :T :W

These things can be arranged :evil:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Lukas Moodysson also says on the commentary track on the DVD, that if he were to make a follow up Jessica and Johan would end up together
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)