original (swedish) manuscript?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: original (swedish) manuscript?

Postby triddy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Larsen wrote:
triddy wrote:found it *:)*

http://fucking-amal.droopy.sk/subpages/ ... venska.htm

hope it works, it did for me anyway. There are some mistakes regarding the language though, it sometimes crosses over to norwiegan or something, and sometimes seems to not be entirely correct. But I guess that only matters if you know the dialogue in Swedish by heart :lol: But hey, it's the only version around. It's really weird that the other links aren't working anymore, I mean, why would anyone go aroung deleting scripts from eleven-year-old movies? :T

This is nice! Thank you so much. And thanks to droopy too (whoever he is).

I think that the actors improvised a bit, since many lines are different in the movie. Also, the language seems strange sometimes, as you already pointed out (e.g. huvet - huvud). Any idea why?

like agnes & elin forever said, they often use slang and spoken versions of words in the movie, and you can't really write all of that in the script. Apart from that, the script on droopy's page seems to have some other mistakes that I don't get. but I suppose this lovely man is not swedish himself, so we'll forgive him cause he must have put an huge effort into all the FÅ-stuff he's been able to save :D

Larsen wrote:Reading at bit in the script, I stumbled upon a few strange similarities with German, that German and Danish don't share, e.g.: "duschen" (D: Dusche, DK: bruser(en), "fraaga" (D: fragen, DK: spörge), "moped", (D: the same, DK: knallert)

Yeah, swedish is very heavily influenced by german when it comes to vocabulary. In fact, swedish is pretty much a mix between german, french and the old "nordic languages" (the kind of language they speak only on Iceland nowadays). Which means that either if you're german or for example english-speaking, you are still able to understand a bit of it when it's written. But when it comes to pronounciation, danish and german are much more similar than swedish and german.
triddy
Gold Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Larsen wrote: I think that the actors improvised a bit, since many lines are different in the movie.

The other thing i was going to say was, as far as I am aware there was NO improvisation in the film. Certainly like any movie there were rehearsals and try-outs. Some ideas were incorporated from suggestions by the actors e.g. the so-called ''foot fetish'' scene. There were re-writes of scenes, certainly as many as 16 for some that I know of, and the final ''O Boy'' scene was an add-on. There were also some ideas that didn't work, either because of the ''chemistry'' or maybe the juvenility of the actors and the sophistication of the concept the writer was attempting to get across. If this was a Hollywood film, by now we would have had a ''Director's cut'' version with out-takes and all the other packaging and padding that the film industry uses to make us pay all over again for something that was alright in the first place. As the actor's won a national award, it would seem superfluous to do this and I think we can be grateful for that economy. What we do have on the boxed set version is the short film ''Talk'' by Moodysson, which is well worth seeing.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:24 pm

triddy wrote:
like agnes & elin forever said, they often use slang and spoken versions of words in the movie, and you can't really write all of that in the script. Apart from that, the script on droopy's page seems to have some other mistakes that I don't get. but I suppose this lovely man is not swedish himself, so we'll forgive him cause he must have put an huge effort into all the FÅ-stuff he's been able to save :D

Do you mean this droopy-guy actually TYPED the whole script by himself? WOW. Droopy, if you read this, THUMBS UP!!! :W

BTW: This reminds me of the motto of those monks of the Order of Saint Benedict, ora et labora: ora means praying to Saint Agnes and labora means typing the script of FA (again and again), collecting pictures of Rebecka and Alexandra, making music videos and so on :)
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 pm

triddy wrote: But when it comes to pronounciation, danish and german are much more similar than swedish and german.

Hmm, I don't find the sound of german and danish very similar, but maybe that's not what you mean by 'pronounciation' ?

Swedish and german have some similar words like you also say, but the grammar is very different.

Swedish and danish are more similar on the whole, but they sound pretty different which is why swedes and danes sometimes have a hard time understanding each other :lol:

So swedish, german and danish all sound pretty different to each other. All 3 languages have a lot of similar words (and some that are not) but german have another type of grammar, with the verb always coming last in a sentence.

Like english, swedish have some words that are of french origin, I don't think this is true for german and danish?
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:
Hmm, I don't find the sound of german and danish very similar, but maybe that's not what you mean by 'pronounciation' ?

Swedish and german have some similar words like you also say, but the grammar is very different.

Swedish and danish are more similar on the whole, but they sound pretty different which is why swedes and danes sometimes have a hard time understanding each other :lol:

So swedish, german and danish all sound pretty different to each other. All 3 languages have a lot of similar words (and some that are not) but german have another type of grammar, with the verb always coming last in a sentence.

Like english, swedish have some words that are of french origin, I don't think this is true for german and danish?

Oh, there are thousands of French words both in Danish and German (in Germany, you can recognize a persons education or social status by the way he/she pronounces words of French origin). French was the court language in Germany (e.g. Frederik the Great frankly despised the German language, he spoke French with humans and German with his dogs and horses ;))

BTW: Verbs are not always in the final position - only in certain constructions. ;-)
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Larsen wrote:BTW: Verbs are not always in the final position - only in certain constructions. ;-)

Yes of course, but you know what I mean

Anyway I speak and understand a fair amount of german, and it's not an ugly sounding language like some say, I guess it depends on how you speak it

It can sound rough sometimes, but also very elegant on other occassions

There are many words from english in modern german
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:18 pm

It can sound rough sometimes, but also very elegant on other occassions

Thank you for the flowers :D

Anyway, in terms of sound I clearly prefer French. Or Norwegian (sounds like birds singing). Swedish is fine too. Especially when AGNES is talking.

BTW: Speaking of Scandinavian languages - Do you know these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjksfgC ... 26&index=0

What say sing should be roughly similar to Old Norse.
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:29 pm

I speak some French and a little Portuguese. A lot of people assume Portuguese must be similar to Spanish, but in fact it is much more difficult. Many words in Portuguese are more similar to French. Quite a few of the older generation in Portugal speak French based on their experience of being migrant workers in France. In the Algarve though, the second language is German. When I'm there I always get addressed in German because shopkeepers etc think I ''look German'' whatever that means :roll: When they find out I'm British (not actually, I'm Canadian by birth) I soon get second-class service i.e. British = No Money :lol: :lol:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Larsen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:44 pm

snaps wrote:When they find out I'm British (not actually, I'm Canadian by birth) I soon get second-class service i.e. British = No Money :lol: :lol:

You handle the problem in the wrong way. Just pretend being American - they then will tread you with the utmost respect, because otherwise they would risk an invasion. :lol:
Larsen
Faithfull Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Larsen wrote: You handle the problem in the wrong way. Just pretend being American - they then will tread you with the utmost respect, because otherwise they would risk an invasion. :lol:
I've almost totally flattened out my Canadian accent because I don't want anyone to mistake me for American and terrorize me. It's bad enough being British. Everyone in Europe pretends to like Americans cos they think they have the money but only the Irish and the British really feel kinship towards Americans. Apart from the Swedish who love Minnesota because its the largest Swedish state not in Sweden :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:14 pm

snaps wrote: In the Algarve though, the second language is German. When I'm there I always get addressed in German because shopkeepers etc think I ''look German''

Ok, so now we know what snaps looks like :lol:

Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:32 pm

snaps wrote: Everyone in Europe pretends to like Americans cos they think they have the money but only the Irish and the British really feel kinship towards Americans. Apart from the Swedish who love Minnesota because its the largest Swedish state not in Sweden :D

Americans don't have any money nowadays, since the world economy collapsed, do they? :shock:

Not everybody in the UK loves America? Aren't there some rivalry too I would think? :P

There are many Swedes in Minnesota that's a known fact, but other than that there's not much knowledge among people about that place here in Sweden :T
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote: Ok, so now we know what snaps looks like :lol:

You are so wrong baby! :lol:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby triddy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:38 pm

triddy wrote: But when it comes to pronounciation, danish and german are much more similar than swedish and german.

I personally think that danish and german sound more similar than swedish and german. I mean, for example the danes and germans have their "r" in common, whereas the swedes use the same "r" as the russians and spanish and so on. When written, I think danish is pretty easy to understand, but, like you say, when spoken it's trickier :)
And yes, the grammar is very different for all the three languages. But don't forget that a few hundred years ago german was considered the coolest thing in the world by the swedish royal family, and everyone who was anyone spoke german :wink: and because of that, loads of german loanwords entered the swedish language. And when I studied german, I was constantly surprised at how similar our languages are.

And I absolutely don't think german is ugly. :P I mean, it's just received bad reputation because it's been used in less flattering ways and circumstances throughout history, if you know what I mean :(
triddy
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:43 pm

snaps wrote:
Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote: Ok, so now we know what snaps looks like :lol:

You are so wrong baby! :lol:

You mean you don't drink beer? :shock: :lol:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)