Better late than never!

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: Better late than never!

Postby fish » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:59 am

kant1781 wrote:...Of course I can't tell whether the Germans react to it in a specific way that is different from other countries... :T

Judging by the others on this forum I'd say the German reaction is exactly the same as everywhere else. :P :T
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Robert Lamm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:47 am

triddy wrote:Hi Robert! (i'm a bit late as always...) it's kinda fun that so many Germans seem to like this film (well, yeah - "like" is the wrong word, I know.) I mean, how can it be that me and magnus are like the only swedes on here? It's truly a mystery.

That musical looks so cool, I would have loved to have seen it! Why, oh why, did I discover this film so late!?

Hi triddy!

Well, in this context I feel a bit like a hick who discovered a technology twelve years after its invention. But I think there are still many potential admirers who haven’t found the film so far.

Comparing the German and the Swedish version I have to confess that I’m keenly impressed by the Swedish language. Although the badly synchronised German version was not capable of ruining my first FA-experience the original version gives me the chills. For instance the word “snalla” (probably spelled wrong) which sounds so delightful when expressed by Elin.
Robert Lamm

Postby triddy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Robert Lamm wrote:Well, in this context I feel a bit like a hick who discovered a technology twelve years after its invention. But I think there are still many potential admirers who haven’t found the film so far.

Comparing the German and the Swedish version I have to confess that I’m keenly impressed by the Swedish language. Although the badly synchronised German version was not capable of ruining my first FA-experience the original version gives me the chills. For instance the word “snalla” (probably spelled wrong) which sounds so delightful when expressed by Elin.

One of the interesting things with this film and forum is that, since it's not a new film, there aren't exactly masses of people who come on here. But now and then someone new drops by, someone who accedentially came across the film and needs somewhere to pour out their feelings about it. Like you, and like me a few months ago. And since that has been going on for twelve years, I don't think it's going to stop really soon :) and that awesome thing is what we call the FÅ-effect *:)*

And yes, Elin's voice is something I could listen to all day :P as a Swede, I find it interesting to hear how other people get touched by the Swedish language when they watch the film. But then again, I suspect it simply is the girls' real voices, and not the language in particular, that put a spell on people.
triddy
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:35 am

I do like the way the language sounds, though. It's very cute.

Well, coming from them, anyway.... :oops: :wink: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:58 am

I think that's one of the main reasons in favour of sub-titles over dubbing. You get a closeness to the actors invloved, get to hear their own voices, their tone, feel what they're feeling, things that are missing in dubbed versions.

Even better is that after a mere ten or twenty times seeing the film you don't even need the sub-titles to know what they're saying and you can concentrate of their faces and actions. In the case of this little film that's worth its weight in gold. :D
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 am

Have you noticed too, that when you remember back, you don't remember the dialogue in susbtitles - you just remember Agnes & Elin saying the words.

Or maybe that's just me. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby kant1781 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:13 pm

fish wrote:
kant1781 wrote:...Of course I can't tell whether the Germans react to it in a specific way that is different from other countries... :T

Judging by the others on this forum I'd say the German reaction is exactly the same as everywhere else. :P :T

That wasn't under dispute, just that there might be more people showing the reaction hereabouts... not different, but more, you see? Like so:

:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T

:lol: Bratwurst!
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:41 am

codyw1 wrote:Or maybe that's just me. :wink:

Definitely not just you.

kant1781 wrote: :lol: Bratwurst!

:shock:
Couldn't have put it better myself. :lol:

More would be nice but quality over quantity is nice too.Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Just wanted to give everyone a reminder. Tomorrow 27th April (or today if you're in Australia and just woken up :Z ) is the anniversary of Agnes' birthday. Where the film starts. I wanted to say something clever, then remembered that I'm not :T I guess this is just a dedication to all those boys and girls who are 16 years old on 27th April, and the day after that etc etc. Waking up knowing it's probably meant to be significant but not perhaps really feeling any different. Being partially excited and partly terrified at the prospect. Being partly bored with the whole thing. Not fully knowing who you really are yet nor who you are going to become. At least let's hope as many as possible get to see SML/FA sometime soon. It will help reinforce those who need encouragement against parental, family, peer, and institutional pressure. Let's hope they feel able to strike out in directions that defy other people's notions of convention.

Happy birthday Dear Agnes. May she live for a hundred years! :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 am

Indeed! *:)* *:)* *:)*

To all those who still FEEL 16 too.

Like me. :lol: :T :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 am

Don't mope around on your birthday,

things are bound to get better.

Happy Birthday Agnes.
May you live for a hundred years.Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 pm

snaps wrote:Happy birthday Dear Agnes. May she live for a hundred years! :D

*:)*

Agneses of the world, unite!
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:16 am

Nice first photo, fish! *:)*

Can't see the second one. :( *:|*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:35 am

codyw1 wrote:Can't see the second one. :( *:|*

any better?

Went like that for me too, but just for a while after I posted it.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 am

Yup, MUCH better. :D *:)*
Ian
Webmaster

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)