Better late than never!

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Better late than never!

Postby Robert Lamm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 am

Hello everybody!

What a discovery! A forum devoted to “Fucking Amal”.
It was last Wednesday when I sat there, tired of revising for an exam. While zapping through the TV Channels this masterpiece has aroused my interest. Unfortunately I only saw the last twenty minutes or so. Therefore it was merely like catching a glimpse of it. Nevertheless I was rather impressed and watched the complete film (except the final part which was not available) on youtube a few days later. What I felt is hard to put into words. I guess I reached this “phase of infection” which is described in the forum and I can hardly withstand it.
I love this film because it is so profound and thought-provoking. It blew my mind and I’m a bit afraid of watching it again. What will happen next?? I really got so much into it.
The only time I was so impressed by an artist’s work was when I heard the albums of the band Chicago.
I sincerely hope that this forum will exist forever! It’s so inspiring to read all the contributions which give this Swedish film the credit it deserves!!

Best regards to all! :D
Robert Lamm

Re: Better late than never!

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:32 am

Welcome Robert! :D *:)*

Always great to see new people discovering FA, and our little forum. Thank you for commenting! Feel free to pull up a chair and stay a while, we don't bite (well, snaps might, but only if you ask nicely :wink: ). :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 am

Hello Robert.
Welcome to the craziest, nicest bunch of people around.
Don't be afraid of watching Fucking Åmål again, I think it gets better every time I see it, and I'm also starting to understand a bit of Swedish. :T :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Kso » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 pm

One more infected is detected)) This virus is ineradicable! All of us are doomed))
Welcome to the zombie clan!
Kso
Crew Member

Postby Robert Lamm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Thank you for your warm welcome!
Today I did something quite unusual, at least for me. I ordered the FA-DVD. And believe me or not, the only DVDs I own are “Forrest Gump” and some Al Bundy seasons. :lol:
Robert Lamm

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 am

:lol:

I have several hundred DVDs :shock: :roll: .

In my defence, FA is one of the few I would grab if fleeing a house fire. :wink: :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am

That would be the "Married with Children" Al Bundy I guess. Love that show.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby bruno » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 pm

Robert Lamm wrote:What a discovery! A forum devoted to “Fucking Amal”

Hello Robert :D
bruno
Gold Member

Postby Robert Lamm » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

codyw1 wrote::lol:

I have several hundred DVDs :shock: :roll: .

In my defence, FA is one of the few I would grab if fleeing a house fire. :wink: :roll:

Quite strange, I know. Usually I only go to the movies and borrow a DVD from time to time. But in my opinion there are so many cookie-cutter movies which are not worth watching again.

fish wrote:That would be the "Married with Children" Al Bundy I guess. Love that show.

Yeah that’s right. Funny stuff! I couldn’t recollect the original title. In Germany it’s called “Eine schreckliche Familie”.

bruno wrote:
Robert Lamm wrote:What a discovery! A forum devoted to “Fucking Amal”

Hello Robert :D

Hi bruno :D
Robert Lamm

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:56 am

Robert Lamm wrote:
Quite strange, I know. Usually I only go to the movies and borrow a DVD from time to time. But in my opinion there are so many cookie-cutter movies which are not worth watching again.

D

Oh, I think we're entirely in agreement on that score! :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Belated Hi Robert :Y

These are scenes from a Swedish student musical production in 2007. Called ‘Fucking Alby’ it was based on the plot of FA, with the exception of moving action to a faceless suburb of Stockholm.

snaps
Crew Member

Postby Robert Lamm » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:55 am

Hi snaps! :D

I’m sure it worked out well.
Anyhow, at the moment I have to say that Moodysson’s idea of Amal with its characters is perfect and unchangeable. Maybe I just need more time to cope with the unexpected impact of the film.
Robert Lamm

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:24 am

Absolutely agree, Robert.

We should all be grateful that America is still so full of prudes and bigots, otherwise they'd have done a remake by now, like they do everything else. :T :roll: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby triddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Robert! (i'm a bit late as always...) it's kinda fun that so many Germans seem to like this film (well, yeah - "like" is the wrong word, I know.) I mean, how can it be that me and magnus are like the only swedes on here? It's truly a mystery.

That musical looks so cool, I would have loved to have seen it! Why, oh why, did I discover this film so late!?
triddy
Gold Member

Postby kant1781 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:57 am

triddy wrote:it's kinda fun that so many Germans seem to like this film (well, yeah - "like" is the wrong word, I know.) I mean, how can it be that me and magnus are like the only swedes on here? It's truly a mystery.

Don't know about the Swedes, but in Germany the film runs on TV at least twice a year and also gets shown in schools. Plus, there has been a huge amount of stage productions of FÅ in yout theaters all around the country, starting around 2006 or so. We used to post about these here in these years, but at a certain point, I just stopped counting. So there's just plenty of opportunity to get to know that wonderful film.

Of course I can't tell whether the Germans react to it in a specific way that is different from other countries... :T
kant1781
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)