what I didn't (or did) like about the movie

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: what I didn't (or did) like about the movie

Postby fish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 am

Dahls wrote:Wow :shock:
She can be a powerfull drug/weapon, must never end up in the wrong hands :!:

And I'd be willing to take her into my care, just to make sure that didn't happen.
How nice of me. O-) :roll: :lol:

Hey Cheevers4ever, welcome to the forum.
You may be right in your assessment of Elin, but fortunately for me I choose to live in an alternate reality where Elin and Agnes are lovers for life. *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby katka » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:14 pm

fish wrote:
I choose to live in an alternate reality where Elin and Agnes are lovers for life. *:)* *:)*

me too, because that way I like it *:)*
even if the reality would probably be different, it's nice on it that we can dream and believe for that's how it would probably be.
This is what makes the end of the film so sensual. :)P

Welcome Cheevers4ever. :wink:
katka
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Cheevers4ever, you should read Peter Svensson's fan-fiction short story Fucking Åmål 5 Years Later.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Cheevers4ever, you should read Peter Svensson's fan-fiction short story Fucking Åmål 5 Years Later.

thanks for the recommendaion A&E :) I have a read of it now.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm

fish wrote:
She can be a powerfull drug/weapon, must never end up in the wrong hands :!:

And I'd be willing to take her into my care, just to make sure that didn't happen.
How nice of me. O-) :roll: :lol:

Hey Cheevers4ever, welcome to the forum.
You may be right in your assessment of Elin, but fortunately for me I choose to live in an alternate reality where Elin and Agnes are lovers for life. *:)* *:)*

thanks for the welcome Fish :W

I'm more for the downbeat version myself, i came away with the assessment after i first saw it twelve years ago and i have always stuck by it:D . Living in an Alternate reality has its charms :)
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Hermes3G » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:29 am

Hey Cheeves! It's nice to no longer be the only newbie on the block. As for whether the relationship will last, as DMt and others have posted, here and elsewhere, the film ends on a positive and optimistic note, and that's where the girls are in my mind (and in my dreams which I'm still having a month later!). Any conjecture about future happiness or unhappiness says more about the viewer than about the film. The film clearly intends to show that they have something solid. And they lived happily ever after? Unusual, but not unprecedented. And everything about them is unusual.

As for wishing the film were longer, it's never been a problem for me. If I were to add anything, it would be more character development of Agnes. More about her tastes in music and literature, etc. which we see only tantalizing glimpses of. Maybe Lukas put so much of himself into her that he felt he knew her completely and didn't need to elaborate. I love both girls, but if I could only choose one...I'm a sucker for those brown eyes.

Not that she'd have me of course. :N
Hermes3G
Silver Member

Postby fish » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 am

Remember Hermes, it isn't that great a leap to an alternate reality.
Just think of the possibilities. *:)* :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Hermes3G » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:25 am

fish wrote:Remember Hermes, it isn't that great a leap to an alternate reality.
Just think of the possibilities. *:)* :P :lol:

Been there fish! And didn't I see you all there? :D
Hermes3G
Silver Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Hermes3G wrote:Hey Cheeves! It's nice to no longer be the only newbie on the block. As for whether the relationship will last, as DMt and others have posted, here and elsewhere, the film ends on a positive and optimistic note, and that's where the girls are in my mind (and in my dreams which I'm still having a month later!). Any conjecture about future happiness or unhappiness says more about the viewer than about the film. The film clearly intends to show that they have something solid. And they lived happily ever after? Unusual, but not unprecedented. And everything about them is unusual.

As for wishing the film were longer, it's never been a problem for me. If I were to add anything, it would be more character development of Agnes. More about her tastes in music and literature, etc. which we see only tantalizing glimpses of. Maybe Lukas put so much of himself into her that he felt he knew her completely and didn't need to elaborate. I love both girls, but if I could only choose one...I'm a sucker for those brown eyes.

Not that she'd have me of course. :N

Hey Hermes :W
I just couldn't buy into they live happily ever after even after my first viewing of the film i said to my brother she would dump her a few weeks later if that happened in real life :D .My brother had the same reaction as you Hermes. I was 18 at the time. I',m 30 now and i still stand by it. But i understand people wanting to believe it. I just feel a few more scenes of Agnes during the larger Portion of Elins story during the last half of hour would have been nice, my gripe is the lack of Agnes for about half hour of the film up to the bathroom scene really was the only thing that kept me from giving the film a ten out of ten.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:06 pm

So fill it in with some fanfic, FFS 8) :lol: That gripe might just be an itchy Muse...
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)