what I didn't (or did) like about the movie

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby jen02 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:36 pm

2/22/02 5:42:24 am

what I didn't like about the movie I like what absoluted said, esp the "o'boy" paragraph, that was what I thought too.

Thomas, is there an explanation for the scar mistake? :)
jen02

Postby LaraCroatia 2001 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:37 pm

2/22/02 4:46:10 pm

:lol :rolleyes
Mistakes happens and FA has so little of it.
LaraCroatia 2001

Postby Show me Love » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:38 pm

2/23/02 12:20:44 am

Lol Lara :D
Anyway, Jen, Lara could be right. As you might know all the scenes in (probably every) film is shot seperately and not necessarily in the right order. Later, when editing the film these scenes are placed in the right sequence. It could be very well possible that the scene where Agnes should have had a scar was actually shot before the one where she made cut.
This is a bit careless maybe. To tell you the truth; I didn't even notice before. Maybe Lukas did notice it but thought no one would notice, hehe..

By the way, even if the scenes were shot in the right order you wouldn't have seen a scar because the cut itself was ofcourse a fake one... :rolleyes

Thomas
Webmaster www.showmelove.tv
Edited by: Show me Love at: 2/23/02 12:34:55 am
Show me Love

Postby oeb » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:38 pm

2/23/02 8:10:06 pm

Hi,
From the Swedish Screenplay book:

«A LITTLE COMMENT TO THE ENDING
The script ends with Elin and Agnes walking out from the school hand in hand. End. I strongly felt that I would have a rounder ending, just a little sneak-peak on what would happen later, but I couldn’t make up how and when and where. I thought on various things. They’d go to the snackbar and eat pommes frites or go home to Agnes and eat ice-cream – I don’t know why, but I wanted them to eat something – but I was totally blind and didn’t realise the obvious: that they’d drink O’boy, just like Elin doesn’t do in the beginning. That idea was on the other hand hatched by the production manager Malte Forsell and later we made up Elin’s lines together, me and Alexandra. Out of this little story can you learn the following: it isn’t just one person who makes a film, it’s a lot of people who work together. Alone is not strong.»

Lukas Moodysson comments on the choice of Robyn's Show Me Love in a chat:
"jag tycker robyn knyter ihop filmen bättre eftersom det är elins typ av musik. annars skulle filmen liksom slutat i agnes värld."
"I think Robyn completes the film in a better way since this is Elin's type of music. Otherwise the film would sortof have ended in Agnes' world."

If you read the director's commentary from the DVD I don't think you'll get the impression that this song is meant as a joke at all.

I've sort of forgotten about that goof with Agnes' cloth around her wrist suddenly disappering and the lack of a scar. Better update my goof list! :)

Bye,
Ole

oebfa.com
oebfa@netcom.no
oeb

Postby absoluted » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:39 pm

2/23/02 11:19:38 pm

That's very interesting & offers quite a bit of insight. Thanks for the information, Ole.

I'd like to see the screenplay book published in English someday -- but not hopeful that it'll happen in the near future. And the US DVD doesn't come with the director's commentary. So I definitely appreciate all the information I get from your site and from Thomas' site and all the others on the Net.

At this point, the Internet is practically my only source of info about FA. I really need to start learning Swedish someday... :)

Edited by: absoluted at: 2/23/02 11:21:57 pm
Last edited by absoluted on Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
absoluted

Postby Greece120 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:41 pm

2/24/02 4:00:12 am

Yes, I agree on the Viktoria scene. Yes, Agnes treated Viktoria badly but I mean Agnes had a right to do that. She did it because she was upset with her parents and everybody else in the whole movie because of how they treat hre. They all treat her very poorly like she wasnt even alive and she was just a person with no feelings and they could just pick on her all the time. Rumors went around her all the time about her being a lesbian, until really she didnt become a full one until they kissed that night in the car.

Now I know the Viktoria had the right to say what she said to Agnes about Viktoria being good to get rid of her and telling Agnes that the whole school will find out her feelings for Elin and that she is a lesbian. She delt with it in a poor view.

The other thing that I didnt like about the movie was that Elin was trying to ignore the fact that she was in love with Agnes. Like she didnt call Agnes any that time, she went with Johan to try and hide the fact that she is a lesbian and that she is in love with Agnes, at school both when she tried to talk to her near the lockers and Elin just gave this weird face and just walked off, and when they are also at school when Agnes slapped Elin and Elin made some bad comments to Agnes when she ran off. Just because her friends were around. I know that it makes sense to make a great movie, and I still think its the best movie, I just didnt like those parts really.

Greece120
Greece120

Postby LaraCroatia 2001 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:41 pm

2/24/02 3:23:54 pm

These parts that you mentioned Greece are what it made it so real and the best movie I've ever seen cause that is how it is in the real life.
LaraCroatia 2001

Postby Greece120 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:42 pm

2/25/02 5:48:04 am

yeah Yes I know that. THe movie is so real, and yes it is the best movie I have ever seen in my life and im glad that everything turned out well.Its just that those parts wanted to make you feel sorry for Agnes about how she was treated in the movie. But o yeah it is the best movie ever. :rollin

Greece120
Greece120

Postby LaraCroatia 2001 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:42 pm

2/26/02 2:18:12 am

Ofcourse I felt sorry about her, I mean I cried for God sake but I also understood Elin cause that's just the way it is for now.
;)
LaraCroatia 2001

Postby Mind Flash 1984 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:43 pm

2/28/02 8:15:40 am

Does anybody here wonder what has since happened to Elin? I mean, would her being a lesbian have any impact on her popularity?

?erac I ekiL .drah oot yaw si ti taht si sdrawkcab gnitirw tuoba wonk I llA
Mind Flash 1984

Postby LaraCroatia 2001 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:44 pm

2/28/02 5:24:19 pm

That's a really interesting question. What happend to Elin's popularity after they all saw that she's in love with Agnes. Lukas left us to imagine what happend or not in our minds but I guess the news spreaded all over the school the first day and I'm afraid if there were a secual that Elin would not be so popular among her friends anymore but I don't know, maybe she would?

Edited by: LaraCroatia 2001 at: 2/28/02 5:41:26 pm
LaraCroatia 2001

Postby oebfa » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:44 pm

3/1/02 12:35:32 pm

Hi,
When I said "read the commentary" I meant that you could read my translation, but in fact it wasn't even on my site at the moment I wrote this message. Haha. But now it is, so take a look! :)

Bye,
Ole
oebfa.com
oebfa@netcom.no
oebfa

Postby Relay » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:45 pm

3/11/02 10:04:16 am

Well i dont like mistakes When hse the handicaped girl rings the bell for agnes birthday party dont you notice the stair and the bell button are on top of the stair to the apartment??

a movie mistake i dont like ;)
Relay

Postby Show me Love » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:45 pm

3/11/02 11:36:01 am

About the doorbell; I think that Olof (Agnes' father) was so kind as to install a second doorbell at the bottom of the stairs to enable Viktoria to ring the bell when she comes to visit Agnes. Viktoria has probably been Agnes' (only) friend for some time already before her birthday.
Ehh.. is this a plausible explanation? :)

Thomas
Webmaster www.showmelove.tv
Show me Love

Postby LaraCroatia 2001 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:46 pm

3/11/02 4:13:21 pm

I didn't even noticed that, but it could be an explanation. It's not so important to me, those little mistakes, every movie has it.
;)

Edited by: LaraCroatia 2001 at: 3/11/02 4:14:55 pm
LaraCroatia 2001

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)