what I didn't (or did) like about the movie

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby SITB » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:46 pm

3/24/02 7:39:36 am

BERLITZ has a pretty good English to Swedish Phrase book/ dictionary out. It is small enough to fit in your pocket too. I found it in Chapters. I am also looking fo a Swedish Language learning computer program but cant find one.

SITB
SITB

Postby Mind Flash 1984 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:47 pm

3/26/02 9:44:32 am)

Yeah I think I heard that one about Viktoria too.

And shouldn't there be some "Think & Talk" cds for Swedish? I know there are some for French and Italian.

?erac I ekiL .drah oot yaw si ti taht si sdrawkcab gnitirw tuoba wonk I llA
Mind Flash 1984

Postby Littal2short2001us » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:47 pm

3/27/02 9:18:03 pm

I am feeling kinda sad because there is No love for everyone!
Littal2short2001us

Postby LaraCroatia 2001 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:48 pm

3/27/02 11:33:54 pm

I think there is love for everyone, you just have to find it and try to keep it.
;)
LaraCroatia 2001

Postby bifluzzy » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:49 pm

4/1/02 5:58:33 am

Hello, I would like to add a commen about Agnes' wrist after she tried to commit sicide, depending on how deep she cut, and depending on the length of time, cuts can heal petty fasy. know from personal expirence. When I saw the film, it didn't look like sh'ed cut very deep. I saw the scence as being extremely ackward anyways, it just didn't really seem right, i dont really know how to explain it.

Fluzzy

the lezzie lover!!!

bi_fluzzy@hotmail.com
bifluzzy

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 1:02 pm

I think the movie was very great, but I think there must they had better put some more ''action'' in it, more exciting scene's .And that Elin was able to go to the other party with Agnes and there the other girls were ammazed and then elin should again dis Agnes and things like that..they could show some more on school, and in the classroom:I think the film had better take 2 hours or something.

After that it is one of my favourite movies, And I think I saw it at least 15 times.
Also I'm a very big fan of Broder Daniel!!!!!!!!!!!

love jessica (from holland)

Postby jonny » Wed May 07, 2003 3:38 am

Jessica, you’re right: after the girls kiss in the back of the car, there's not much action until they get together at the end.

But I don't mind. The final third of the film, up to the last two scenes, evokes Agnes's misery even better than the first two-thirds. We don't often see Agnes, but that just emphasises Agnes's feeling that Elin has abandoned her.

Agnes goes from being very happy to being very sad. The poignancy of the transition is enhanced by its slowness. If you were happy yesterday and are miserable today then you might reasonably hope to be happy again tomorrow; but Agnes's decline is gradual.

Jonny. :) !
jonny

Postby Guest_simon » Sat May 10, 2003 11:14 am

just saw movie ( twice ) and loved it. unfortunately it was one of those films that you felt could have been all the more effective but for some directorial decisions.
(1) the scenes involving the two girls were powerful, why so few?
(2) agnes' aborted suicide is never followed up, why?
(3) the depiction of teenage life is unnervingly accurate ( boredom, drunkeness, parties etc. ) for the fist half, but then seems to speed-track elins loss of virginity to thomas and decision to admit her feelings for agnes. another 30 minutes of film would have added to its poignancy.

as for criticism of the handling of viktoria as a character - get over it!

as for the final scene - it made the film! fading to black with elin and agnes coming 'out of the closet' would have been a dreadful mistake.
the 'chocolate milk' dialogue was the summation of the films intention - ie. life IS banal, but as a teenager coming to terms with growing up every detail is vital. it also allows the narrative to close ambiguously, lending the viewer a more meloncholic feeeling.

personaly i felt that the characters and events overcame any negatives, it is not often that i watch a film and find myself still emotionaly charged the next day! overall great film!
Guest_simon

Postby marjaBI » Wed May 21, 2003 11:46 am

<_< TJAH! I hated the scene when Elin was in bed with Johan...the guy was wussy...hahah..but I could see the feeling in her eyes, the feeling Im having so often....amazing actresswork from Alexandra!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!

The scene's I LOVE:

o'boy
kissing
YEAH KISSING WITH BIG LETTERS!!!YEAH!!!
the moment right after kissing, both girl looking for their toes

hmmmmmm.....in general...the hole movie is my fav scene, except for fake throwing up's and that hidious JOHAN...IEW....

hahaha...

with love,
Mar
<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><b>let me take you to heaven, babe</b></span></span></span>
marjaBI

Postby Timbird » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:37 am

The O'Boy scene I found really hard to deal with - it seems to undermine a lot of what comes before it. Immediately before you've got this very public very triumphant confrontation and resolution, which is then undercut by the banality of the last scene. This is obviously really effective, and in a way I like it a lot - it's subverting the usual "resolution, then THE END" formula, cos you don't normally get a sneak preview of what comes afterwards.

But the tone seems really awkward - someone on this forum refered to the scene's dialogue, which is something of an overstatement - I think all that Agnes says is "hm", and laughs at the end. It's true that their relationship all the way through is a bit like this - on the bridge, in the toilet etc. - and again, it's part of the realism of the film, because the "coming out" isn't a complete emotional breakthrough for them. But again, the tone is really a bit weird. It's like something from The Office - not on the same awful level of course, but it is an awkward scene, especially since they've just previously had such a great level of candidness and intimacy. You wonder if their relationship isn't being shown to be a bit flawed.

It also reminded me of that scene Agnes has earlier with her father, where he says in 25 years time "those girls who were the prettiest in the class aren't so special anymore" (paraphrased). It's obviously ironic, because he's trying to re-assure her, but in the context of Agnes' situation is has a dark edge to it - it probably reminds her (and us) of Elin, and effectively tells her that, in the future, she might not seem so special, the relationship may not be as emotionally charged as it is then etc. And that's maybe what the last scene suggests too.

There's also this whole "fucking Amal" side to it - all the way through there are these images of blandness and banality which evoke the dullness of the town - the lottery, the mobile phones, the culture etc. - and the fact that the movie ends with a monologue on the process of making chocolate milk seems to fit in with that whole picture. You could say that Elin's desire to escape the town is actually her way of expressing something else, which she finally expresses fully when she literally "comes out" at the end, so the last scene shows how they are now comfortable with the town once they're together (ahhh). Convincing? Maybe, but I still can't escape that feeling of doubt about the whole tone of the last scene.

Anyway, there you go, I've written far more than I originally intended. Just thought I'd let my brain froth over.
T*m
Timbird

Postby love » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:20 am

i love this movie. no i dont see any flaws because its too good. loving this masterpiece of a film forever. I am so Agnes,(in some ways) its funny to see that. I really relate to the girls and the emotions through out this film.
love

Postby Iamyouknowyours » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:34 am

I try not to notice too many continuity errors because they'll drive me crazy. But I don't think Anges cut her wrist deep enough to scar. I mean men don't scar every time they nick themselves shaving. And I just sort of assumed that the cloth she used to bind her wrist was hidden under her long sleeve jacket. I like your guys's explination for the Viktoria doorbell mix up :)

One of the things I loved about the film was the music. Of the english language songs (which are all this lazy american can understand the lyrics too) I thought the choices were quite clever. I there are many songs with the word love in it that chronical the stages Elin and Agnes go through. "I Want To Know What Love Is" occurs when both girls are exploring love and passion for the first time. They are sharing their first real kiss and treading new territory. As much as it is the first (non-joke) kiss for Agnes, it is also the first kiss for Elin in a way, because she obviously had very little emotional attatchment to the 700,00 guys she had made out with. "You're The One I Love" occurs when Elin has decided she is done pretending with Johan for her friends and family. She loves Agnes. She's known it before, but she hasn't fully let herself accept it. But as she throws the rocks at her window, she's intending to lure Agnes down and tell her that she loves her and wants to be with her. "Show Me Love," ironic Robyn refferences aside, occurs when they both know what love is enough to know that they have it, they've declared that the other is indeed the one they love, now all that is left to do is actually experience love and give it, or show it (to be exact) to the other person. Have I been thinking about this way too much or what?

Oh and the chocolate milk ending is brilliant. The most inventive ending to a movie I've seen, except maybe for Ghost World. They might be tied there.
Iamyouknowyours

Postby wusel » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:38 pm

there was nothing about the film of which i could say i don't like it... because it all belongs and fits in, the happy and beautiful scenes, AND the painful and bothering scenes. my favourite scenes are the literal "coming out" and of course the "o'boy"-scene... i think it shwows not only that agnes and elin are teenage girls or the kind of banality of love, but also that they really are in love, on several levels... i mean, it's one thing to say something daring like "get out of the way please, we want to fuck" in order to shut the ohter people up, it's another thing to be freshly "united"/together. you just SAY then such banal/stupid but at the same time lovely things like that, because you are excited...
*umpfz*, i can't explain this better, but this scene makes it feel so real...

but i think i found another directing mistake/goof: ;)
(as i looked closely at agnes' s class photograph taken form the book on this site): on the class picture i can't find victoria, and also her name isn't listed there. AND agnes's last name on this photograph is akerblom, not ahlberg...
not that i think this is very important or a terrible goof, i just noticed it ;)
Last edited by wusel on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'>but we are so fucking cool :)</span></span>
wusel

Postby MahaRishiSriSriX » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:54 pm

Jen02 wrote: 1) the way they handled the handicapped character. They portrayed a mean attitude towards disabled people. I just wish that they had handled that character in a nicer way.

there#s no need for that. handicapped people are just like others, partly "bad", partly "good", in no case perfect. that're just your prejudices :angry:
Last edited by MahaRishiSriSriX on Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>___!!!male!!!___<br>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>(männlich, varón, <br>maschio, homme, <br>karlmaður...)
MahaRishiSriSriX
Gold Member

Postby darkleon » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 pm

MahaRishiSriSriX wrote: there#s no need for that. handicapped people are just like others, partly "bad", partly "good", in no case perfect. that're just your prejudices :angry:

exactly!

why should lukas make her looks nicer?
she's bitching around...so what?!
he cleary doesn't mean all handicapped people to be like that

same as that he surely doesn't mean all women that love women to be like agnes and elin
Last edited by darkleon on Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkleon
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)