what I didn't (or did) like about the movie

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Well, I'm glad it didn't end in a sad way :wink:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:33 am

The ending is perfect as it is. The film owes 50% of its magnetism to the last scene. It is the ending that creates the incredible emotional power and the addiction to watch it all again immediately. Any other ending - straighter, less ambiguous, clearer, "happier" - would perhaps be more satisfying at first, but in the end be endlessly less rewarding. If the film had a fairy-tale happy ending, it would be destroyed.
kant1781
Crew Member

Re: what I didn't (or did) like about the movie

Postby katka » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:15 am

I like all the scenes of the movie, but is the one which is a bit unnatural shot. And it is when Agnes was upset and angry to Elin and she was begining to throw things off the shelf. :roll: I don´t know...just simply I thing that this way throw things was strange, you know ? As one by one gradually. For example I wouldn ´t throw some things in my room, ofcourse sometimes I have mood to rock some things, but rather it is that I want to kick something or something hit his fist, but in life I would not dropping down a mine, fragile, valuable items...if you understand me. Now and one more thing: I dont like a scene where Agnes practically thrown out of the house Victoria. It was ugly by her.I would not like to deal with a classmate, therefore, be not my friend 8)
Last edited by katka on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
katka
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:06 am

katka wrote:...I dont like a scene where Agnes practically thrown out of the house Victoria...

I can understand your not liking this scene, it's very cruel, but I think it's a vital part of the film because Viktoria is the only one who knows that Agnes loves Elin, so she has to be put in a position where she is willing to tell Elin. If that doesn't happen I think there would be no logical way for Agnes and Elin to finish up together.

On another topic. I just realised that in this pic you use.....

... that isn't Alex is it? :shock:
Have you put your own picture there with Rebecka on your back?

If you have, I think it's brilliantly done. I love it. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Kso » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:20 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Even I such don't allow myself :mrgreen:
Kso
Crew Member

Postby katka » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:36 pm

yeah, you're right. Elin's ice would be heard at the beginning of the error adds vibrant Agnes´s computer screen. In the film, read this thing, because it paid attention to Jessica following message that Agnes is a lesbian, so she learned about her orientation, but not about how it is in love with her. Had it with filmmakers like Victoria did, they would not let Elin read. :) Too bad the movie is actually so short, I would be there so 15.min. add. And let's let their give one more kiss:) Nooo this isn´t Alex ! :lol: Well...then finally confess :? , that picture is original with me: D I can not tell you cause to envy:-D When Alex saw me and Rebecka as we toke a photo together, She thought that with her ​​too so Bex lets take a picture and copied it to our posture, it will be a good image to the public ... :-D
katka
Crew Member

Postby LaHaine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 am

fish wrote:
katka wrote:...I dont like a scene where Agnes practically thrown out of the house Victoria...

I can understand your not liking this scene, it's very cruel, but I think it's a vital part of the film because Viktoria is the only one who knows that Agnes loves Elin, so she has to be put in a position where she is willing to tell Elin. If that doesn't happen I think there would be no logical way for Agnes and Elin to finish up together.

On another topic. I just realised that in this pic you use.....

... that isn't Alex is it? :shock:
Have you put your own picture there with Rebecka on your back?

If you have, I think it's brilliantly done. I love it. *:)*

Also Fish, it shows Agnes also is just as cruel as the bullies who bully her in school. Thats what i loved about the film when i first saw it both Agnes and Elin aren't always nice but like any Teenagers they can be cruel as well. in an American version of this Film Agnes would have been seen as lonely loveable teenager. Thats what made Fucking Amal special to me that Moodysson wasn't afraid to show his main characters in a bad light.
LaHaine

Postby fish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:52 am

True. What he's created are real people with all their faults.
To my mind that's one of the things which makes Fucking Åmål such a great film.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 am

The thing I really hated was that it wasn't at least 30m longer.

As noted above, the ending is genius; I think it's obvious that Agnes starts chuckling because she knows exactly why Elin is babbling about chocolate milk.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:48 am

At least 30 mins, preferably heaps more. *:)* :D
And I loved Agnes' gorgeous laugh. :)P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:12 pm

DMt. wrote:The thing I really hated was that it wasn't at least 30m longer.

As noted above, the ending is genius; I think it's obvious that Agnes starts chuckling because she knows exactly why Elin is babbling about chocolate milk.

I think the ending Really makes the film, we don't see the fall out or the strain on the reltionship which in real life would happen to a young gay couple in a small minded communtiy. Plus i really do think Elin is just going through a stage (This won't go down well on this forum but i always stood by this ever since i saw it back in 2000) and she will eventually get bored of the Reltionship although i do think she will see Agnes as a friend for life.

I did and still think a extra 30 minutes would have been great as i do think the film ends to quickly for me.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:12 pm

It's kind of fruitless to speculate on whether Elin was just being 'bi-curious' or was Really Gay, though, isn't it? Not least because she's a fictional character. All that matters [to me] is the affection, the love, between the characters; that's the whole story.

Agreed that the trials you mention, which they would indeed have to face, would've been a bringdown. Perhaps the film's the right length after all! :wink:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby katka » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:19 pm

DMt. wrote:Perhaps the film's the right length after all! :wink:

Maybe for ordinary viewers of films yes, but not for us junkies! We need more and more momentum from there ... immediately! :T Do someone something for God! I have back abstinence syndrome...oh boy... :T
katka
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 am

Kats nearly wrote:Do something someone for God's sake!

This is what we do.

Bex2.png
Bex2.png (41.3 KiB) Viewed 4603 times

"...when you awaken you will be calm and happy..."

8)
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:39 am

Wow :shock:
She can be a powerfull drug/weapon, must never end up in the wrong hands :!:
Dahls
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)