noob here - I had no idea how many people loved this movie!!

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

noob here - I had no idea how many people loved this movie!!

Postby Irishman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:21 am

Hi all, I recently discovered this forum in my search for a anamorphic widescreen version of FA, and I just wanted to say I had no idea how many people loved this film.

I remember seeing the trailers for FA back in 1999 or 2000 when I was a frequent theatre-goer, and I remember wanting to go see it. (Seeing the American trailer again a few days ago, I'm not sure what made me want to see it). Anyway, none of my friends thought it looked good, so I went by myself when it came out. It was playing in one theatre in the Denver area about 45 minutes drive, but I made the trip. I thought it was an exceptional film. I'm sure this has all been said before, but I thought it was such an accurate portrayal of what it is like being a teenager, dealing with cliques, peer pressure, etc. For me, no other film had really captured teenage angst so well. I got the DVD when it was released several months later and probably watched it a couple more times.

Anyway, I rediscovered the film a few weeks ago when I was digging through a box of CDs/DVDs that I had put in storage several years ago. I pulled the DVD out and put it back with the rest of my collection. After hearing Foreigner on the radio a few days ago, I remember FA and watched a trailer on youtube. That night, I watched the film again for the first time in probably 9 years (so bummed with the non-anamorphic though :shock: ). I had forgotten how much I loved the film. I really had no idea that Alexandra Dahlström was only 14 when the film was made. (What a tremendous performance for someone so young.) Anyway, I am glad to have found that this film has so many fans. I look forward to checking out the forum from time to time.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Re: noob here - I had no idea how many people loved this movie!!

Postby oeb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:37 am

Welcome aboard! :) It's nice to be able to rediscover films - "unfortunately" I watched Fucking Åmål 30+ times back in 2000 so I still know it more or less by heart ;).
oeb
Faithfull Member

Postby fish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:42 am

Hi Irishman, welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you'll find lots of familiar opinions about FÅ, a remarkably good film, given that it was Moodysson's first and that Alexandra and Rebecka were only 14 and 17 at the time. And even moreso that it is now 13 years since it was made.

I confess to owning more than one copy, just to try out different sub-titles, and to having watched it many, many times. It's just one of those rare films I don't get tired of seeing.

Anyway, welcome.
Enjoy the company of kindred spirits.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Irishman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 am

Thanks for the greetings! I am glad to be here.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 am

Welcome aboard, Irishman. Always nice to see new fans. :D

Yes, FA does seem to have a nice little cult following. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Irishman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:57 am

Ian wrote:Welcome aboard, Irishman. Always nice to see new fans. :D

Yes, FA does seem to have a nice little cult following. :D

It's interesting, not on purpose, but I have found myself gravitating to many films that have cult followings these past few years (e.g. The Big Lebowski, Mulholland Dr, Rushmore).
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby Juule » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:19 am

Hi Irishman! And welcome! :D *:)*
Juule
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:17 am

Several people (including myself) have also noted that the third viewing seems to be the charm, Irishman, in terms of turning it from a great film into an obsession!

I like those others you mentioned too, though not as much as FA, obviously. :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Irishman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Ian wrote:Several people (including myself) have also noted that the third viewing seems to be the charm, Irishman, in terms of turning it from a great film into an obsession!

I like those others you mentioned too, though not as much as FA, obviously. :wink:

I'm know I saw it twice back when it got its American release (film and DVD), but I cannot recall if I watched it a third time. Maybe seeing it again last week was the third time, I honestly don't remember. Regardless, I am definitely experiencing mild obsession over the film now. :lol: Still, it would take a lot to knock Mulholland Dr from the top of my film obsession list. ;)

Also, with a subtitled film, I think it takes a couple additional viewings to get to the point where I stop "reading" and can "view" the film. I think once you have an idea of what the subtitles say, it becomes much easier to watch the rest of the film - to see the artistry at work. This film just feels real.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby snaps » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:57 pm

hi Irishman

welcome aboard :)

FA can start you off on a whole genre collection. A must-see IMHO is ''Water Lilies (Naissance des Pieuvres)'', France, 2007. :)P *:)* The DVD is down from its highpoint of 16 - 18 quid to more like 4 - 5 quid in the shops now.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Irishman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:38 pm

snaps wrote:hi Irishman

welcome aboard :)

FA can start you off on a whole genre collection. A must-see IMHO is ''Water Lilies (Naissance des Pieuvres)'', France, 2007. :)P *:)* The DVD is down from its highpoint of 16 - 18 quid to more like 4 - 5 quid in the shops now.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm also glad that "quid" are no longer $2. :)
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 am

Snaps is right - FA started me off on Swedish movies (I adore Let The Right One In as well) and other foreign movies as well (Water Lilies, Rec). Prior to FA, I never really bothered with "subtitled" films - now I've practically become an elitist snob. :wink: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby fish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 am

"Practically" you say. :roll: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 am

:lol: :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Irishman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Ian wrote:Snaps is right - FA started me off on Swedish movies (I adore Let The Right One In as well) and other foreign movies as well (Water Lilies, Rec). Prior to FA, I never really bothered with "subtitled" films - now I've practically become an elitist snob. :wink: :P

Yeah, I actually quite enjoy sub-titled films - mostly Spanish films (I quite enjoy Penélope Cruz and the works of Pedro Almodóvar), and have seen a few Swedish, French, and Japanese films. I really have wanted to see Let The Right One In, but I have been too busy with toddlers to keep up on films the past couple years, but I think I'll start making time again. It's refreshing to watch films that haven't been subjected to the Hollywood machine. There are so few quality films coming from the major studios in America.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)