Variations on a (Bergman) theme...

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Variations on a (Bergman) theme...

Postby Irishman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:56 am

I am sure I am not the first to notice these visual parallels, but it's interesting to see the influence of Ingmar Bergman on two other Swedish directors (and one American):

Ingmar Bergman:
ImageImageImageImage

Lasse Hallström:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Lukas Moodysson:
ImageImageImage

David Lynch:
ImageImageImageImage
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Re: Variations on a (Bergman) theme...

Postby fish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 am

Hmmm.
Visual parallels for sure, and even Bergman would appreciate the flattery, but it's probably drawing a bit of a long bow attributing these scenes to his influence.

Mind you if that was the case, I for one would like to see more directors come under his influence. *:)* *:)* :lol: :roll:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Irishman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

fish wrote:Hmmm.
Visual parallels for sure, and even Bergman would appreciate the flattery, but it's probably drawing a bit of a long bow attributing these scenes to his influence.

Mind you if that was the case, I for one would like to see more directors come under his influence. *:)* *:)* :lol: :roll:

I'm not even saying it is deliberate (except in David Lynch's case I think it was a direct homage). I was just supposing that it would be nearly impossible to ignore effective visual styles from an influential director from one's own country when choosing how one will shoot various parts of one's films. In the case of FA and ABBA's videos, the parallels to Persona seems to be exclusively visual (and not thematic) and they don't dominate the entire picture. I just saw little hints of Persona in some of the above scenes.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby fish » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 am

Irishman wrote:...I was just supposing that it would be nearly impossible to ignore effective visual styles from an influential director from one's own country when choosing how one will shoot various parts of one's films...

Yeah, fair call.
I can see your point there.Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)