What was it about Fucking Amal that made it stand out

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

What was it about Fucking Amal that made it stand out

Postby LaHaine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 am

I'm just really interested in your guys take on what made Fucking Amal stand out for you when you first viewed it. I remeber the moment i saw it for the first time, the same week when I first heard The Strokes Is this it, like the Strokes, Fucking amal really struck a chord with me. My Brother had recorded a foreign film double bill which was shown every saturday at some ungodly hour. I was out at a house party with friends (i would have been 17 at the time) i came home a bit downbeat just felt at the time i was going nowhere with my life. My brother had said he saw this really great "lesbain film" i might like, as he went to bed i decided to have a look at it. My god, it really did hit me right in the face. It wasn't like an other Teen film that spoke down to its target audience. The things that stood out for me was....

The Characters of Elin and Agnes were played by teenagers and like every teenager they had there good and bad side unlike in Hollywood the good teen is never flawed.

The Parents were shown to be worried especially Agnes Father and they simply didn't ignore or give out to their children like in hollywood films.

The other romantic interest i.e Johan wasn't shown to be a bad guy just a simple guy who just wanted to live his life without rocking the boat and we actually feel for him when he is dumped. In a Hollywood film he would have ended up more like Markus.

That a Gay couple can have a happy ending. First film i ever saw that a couple of the same sex (one of them doesn't kill themself or go mad) go off into the sunset.

Sorry for going on a bit about my Love of this film, i just love to read what made this film stand out for you on the first viewing. :)
LaHaine

Re: What was it about Fucking Amal that made it stand out

Postby Irishman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 am

Put simply, I was extremely impressed with how authentic the movie felt. I knew all of those characters, and some of them were me.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby LaHaine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:28 am

Irishman wrote:Put simply, I was extremely impressed with how authentic the movie felt. I knew all of those characters, and some of them were me.

I like the feel of the film very documentary style it feels like we're snooping in on somebody's real life at times. I can feel with Agnes at times been lonely having no friends
LaHaine

Postby fish » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 am

The outstanding features in my view are the story, no unexplained happenings, no loose ends, very tight and very well scripted. Then the peformances of the cast, all the way down to Peter Teider's un-named character arguing with Markus about mobile phones. So realistic. I've been there and seen it all happen. Mainly however, for me it was the performances of the two leads and the chemistry between them. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

May Elin and Agnes live for a hundred years, together. *:)* *:)* 8)
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 am

The authentic, "fly on the wall" approach does make it stand out, making it more real and therefore making the ending all the more triumphant and uplifting because of it.

Plus, as fish says, the two leads in particular. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby LaHaine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Ian wrote:The authentic, "fly on the wall" approach does make it stand out, making it more real and therefore making the ending all the more triumphant and uplifting because of it.

Plus, as fish says, the two leads in particular. :D

The leads certainly made the film on my first viewing. I think the film is of two halfs the first (about 45 mins)is about Agnes and the second is about Elin. Thats why i always loved the first 45 minutes everything up to the Kiss in the car, not to say the last 40 minutes are bad. But Elin and Agnes on screen together and Rebecka is probably featured more in the 45 minutes thats why i love it more.
LaHaine

Postby LaHaine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:00 pm

fish wrote:The outstanding features in my view are the story, no unexplained happenings, no loose ends, very tight and very well scripted. Then the peformances of the cast, all the way down to Peter Teider's un-named character arguing with Markus about mobile phones. So realistic. I've been there and seen it all happen. Mainly however, for me it was the performances of the two leads and the chemistry between them. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

May Elin and Agnes live for a hundred years, together. *:)* *:)* 8)

Thats some fan worship Fish, you know the name of the actor who played the character who was arguing with markus about Mobile phones :D .

The script is certainly the best thing Moodysson has done, its not preachy or overdone like the films he done after Amal ( although i ,love Tillersmann).
LaHaine

Postby katka » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:15 am

Some I prefer to write it here because I want to every topic to write my views separately, so it pretty erase ALL write here what you really think about this movie. Excuse my English, maybe it somehow understand. I did not want to translate it out of my head, because this text is very long... so I used googletranslator :roll: If you didn´t undertund something here I will try to write it again and correct :)

First I will start from the when and on what occasion I saw the movie first. So .... I first saw the movie about the beginning of April this year. I came to him ..... the incredible chance to become :) the long lay my PC several Czech films, gradually I saw them all except one .... ,, Dolls " (Pusinky (c) 2007). It's also a lesbian movie, but first I thought it was about drugs and alcohol on general about how young people can lead to a rapid end, but it was not that solve the relationships of three girls there. I totally loved the movie (I recommend), although in my view totally different, not as easy as FA, the more depressed and on one side and sad about it but now want to express. See the movie yourself and see. I'm from it was at least as impressed as the FA. Well now, only the FA. About this film, I read two reviews about the movie ,,Dolls", which was compared to the ,,Dolls", ,,Dolls" like you to refer to him or remind him remotely (which I think is true) and then in the epilogue to the very end kisses screenwriter, which main characters based blog where they write about the storyline before the film and the film, so dovypráví story. And in one of the text still mention of Fucking Amal, as the film, the heroine who looked even with his girlfriend and had it run for four times, because it always had to stop and love :D .... It really caught me, What is it about the film that is so excited :lol: Well, the first information I got from the web and before I released the movie on YouTube and then pulled to the PC, I saw some demos on YouTube, as an American trailer, etc., which So I got bad enough, the film depicts the completely different atmosphere than what there is .... the idyllic melody what is there at the beginning is completely awful. With these first impressions, I firstly said, "Oh my God it will be some awkward teenage comedy that will surely have a depth, like Dolls and it's such a Hollywood movie with a happy ending. Luckily I have a slight, but the film began overwhelming the first few minutes, and roughly convinced me otherwise. The film, I immediately fell in love and later that night I saw it all (no love has taken place with anyone :lol: ) but as I watched it late enough, I was afraid I fell asleep, but could not even sleep it was so good after that I was perhaps even more hyperactive and dohledávala information about this movie maybe in the morning: D I first saw the film in Spanish and then in Swedish with English subtitles. Unfortunately, our production nenadabovala FA and gave it on TV maybe just once, so eight years ago. We have very good dubing, but about them was not worth it .... fools. Anyway Long story short, the film I like and admire everything you write here, as all agree with you, and sometimes we have to wonder what exactly the same insights and ideas for the same thing. For actresses, I am most interested Rebecka Liljeberg, no doubt about it :D perhaps even need to explain why. Just for a detailed explanation - I like models with full lips and raised the corners, because I myself have a pretty little mouth over her face and big eyes on the contrary, and I like it when someone has, by contrast, Rebecka. She also has a relatively small eyes compared to your face when you take it so. Moreover, I see several of her classmates: D As a child in Junes Jul reminds me of my classmate from primary school to which I was in 7th class love. The Fucking Amal strongly reminds me one of my classmate who has died :( but she is Rebecka in a few moments in the film very much similar, except that that a classmate had blond hair but her face and hair are the same. Well ... I have to say that Bex is still a bit nicer . In Sherdil reminds me of another classmate who is really pretty as Rebecka here (here it made a pretty snazzy cat :-D) that you can tan and curls. Well, otherwise the photos it's just her. I would also like to draw attention to two interesting that I noticed in the film. In addition, scenes bell / Victoria, where I just slammed the film bug eyes, or rather the imperfection: How about a wheelchair user can ring the door bell, to which the stairs? Well, it already has addressed several times here that I know, so this does not come back. Next I noticed the other stuff - immediately after the first viewing. When Elin kisses Agnes for the first time in her room, immediately after rising Elin and Agnes leaves no lips so distinctive imprint Elininy lipstick as in the next shot to Agnes (after fleeing the scene cuts, Elin and Jessica) which has been around the lips strong imprint of lipstick, which then must be the mother to come quickly. Therefore, I have two explanations. The first is - either the shot was chosen from several other shots, he made this one and they liked the most. And the second is - or simply netočili kiss several times, shot him once but the resulting impression they did not seem too strong or what I know ... just good at it, so then it might rub off, so it's artificially domalovali - domaskovali. It is just such a hypothesis .... Another interesting fact is that when Jessica Elin calls to come to the event tonight at the stands so Elin Doodle for a magazine - illustrated by the woman on the main page of circles marker = have you noticed that the magazine's Frida ? Same as Alex and Bex, are jointly taken with the front page with artificial snow (magazine cover)? :D Well it jeasi everything I wanted to write. Panegyric odes and here too I do not five, it's immediately one of the best films I have ever seen and is currently the most popular. Yeah .... maybe even the one hand, I'm sorry, I saw the movie until after the 12th years of his rotation, but again at that time I was like 10 years and the sort of thing my parents did not let in any way to the movies and TV I have not seen too, although it was posted here sometime in 99 'but it was guaranteed late evening as filmklub and I at that time also went to sleep early. In school, language around it have not, but just completely out. But never mind again .... I have an advantage in that I did not have long to wait for some information, pictures, video and Internet, that everything is now available to all and everywhere that do not have to wait for anything. At that time, sometime around 2000 I barely knew what the Internet is. It must have been fans for the rest of the FA quite harsh, they did not like everything in one place right under your nose:-D that had to with the development of technology and information available to wait and go together with development. I came to like to finished. Just realize what a mad rush and joy of ukořistěného had to be something great and invincible (remember how we had the pleasure of the LP or cassette Beckstreetboys the soundtrack to the movie Titanic and Celine Dion CDs purchased uškudlené for money - it was a great rarity :) )
katka
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 am

Google Translate doesn't really do justice to your words, but i think I get a good idea of what you're saying.

Fucking Åmål seems to have had a similar effect on all of us. We've wanted to analyse it and discuss it with others just to make sure we haven't missed anything, and it's refreshing to have the occasional "new" perspective.

Of course there's also the added bonus of both Alexandra and Rebecka in the film, and the effect that one or the other, (or both), have on our emotions. From my own point of view it was initially Rebecka who simply mesmerised me and from there I simply had to know more. Alexandra has the same effect now, and the film as a whole I consider to be one of the best I have ever seen.

(And thanks for the information about Pusinky, I'll have to check it out. *:)* )
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:20 am

I didn't even have a computer when I first saw it in 2001, but I still went to the library to look up info on it.

And Rebecka. :)P :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby katka » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:52 pm

fish - Yes I know that google translate isn´t good for good understanding, but this text ( written in Czech ) I translated a long time and now I do not have much time. I have a lot of work into school. But sometime I´ll try to write better this text :wink: And certainly look at "Pusinky" the girls played really well and the music is there too much good :wink: :D

Ian - In bookcase was some information ? :D when it takes... so I would not know where the time to look for specific information :T in addition to the Internet, which I have somewhere in the internet cafe to pay by minute :lol: , so the hell is more expensive :) I guess I was searching for books on film and hoped that some information already published in any professional publications... :roll:
katka
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Welcome to the forum katka :)
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby katka » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:38 pm

just interesting, what I noticed. (I write about some even in the long text) :)

1. Image
:arrow: this microwave is the same as we have in home :D ( I know it is old yet :lol: but still serves :lol: )

2. Image
:arrow: yesterday I noticed when I passing of some scenes, that in Johan´s room on a wall hanging poster with Dominik Hašek which is a Czech hockey player :)

3. Image
:arrow: I also immediately noticed was when you first see the film, that Agnes painted round lipstick kiss between the cut scenes when Elin gets up and leaves after.

4. Image
:arrow: interest and the last, have you noticed this? :D
katka
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:34 pm

I think Katka has such a great eye for detail, she should takeover the FA Trivia Quiz from me. :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby katka » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks :) I know :) everybody is talking to me . Universally I have good memory for this things about film ( faces, scenes, dubing (who dubbed who), music and so on ) simply all important fragments from movie, especialy actor´s faces . But I notice also faults or traits (although the story is illogical and so on) especially when something really interested me.
katka
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)