Do you think we ever get a special edition blu-ray or DVD

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Do you think we ever get a special edition blu-ray or DVD

Postby LaHaine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:47 am

I'm just wondering has their been any news on a special edition DVD or even a Blu ray release for Fucking Amal. Seen as most of the world has been stuck with a bare bone DVD (with the short Talk as the only Extra). I'm wondering do you think there's a market for a special edition DvD or Blu-ray release?

This is what i would love to have on the D.V.D

A commentary with Rebecka, Alexandra and Lukas.
Another commentary with other cast memebers
Making of Documentary from then and now
A documentary to catch up with cast members on what are they doing Now?

I know thats asking for a lot but This film deserves a extra packed DvD and to hear from Alexandra and Rebecka plus Lukas on their take on the film now would be awesome. Plus hearing from other members of the cast would be great.

Do you think we ever get a special edition anytime soon?
LaHaine

Re: Do you think we ever get a special edition blu-ray or DVD

Postby fish » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 am

Speaking as someone from the other side of the planet, I would love to see all those extras and would readily buy either a new DVD or a Blu-Ray, (it would be my fifth copy. :oops: ), but I can't see it happening. Too much elapsed time combined with not a big enough market to cover the cost unfortunately.

Sad I know, but that's what I think. :( *:|*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 am

fish is probably right, though I guess it depends. I know its been a long while, but it wasn't a "small" movie in Sweden, it was a mammoth blockbuster, so I guess its not impossible.

But I'm an eternal (unrealistic) optimist, so what do I know? :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby LaHaine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:06 pm

fish wrote:Speaking as someone from the other side of the planet, I would love to see all those extras and would readily buy either a new DVD or a Blu-Ray, (it would be my fifth copy. :oops: ), but I can't see it happening. Too much elapsed time combined with not a big enough market to cover the cost unfortunately.

Sad I know, but that's what I think. :( *:|*

I have the same feeling as well, it just hasn't been treated too well over the years and barely ever gets mentioned by Moodysson in interviews(whenever he does hes very uninterested in it). Thats really sad cause Moodyssons films never get dvds with any great extras. Fucking Amal is one of those films i would love to see be given a extra packed DVD or Blu-ray. But i do agree with you Fish that it isn't too well known although its got a 7.8 on Imdb and certainly it has a fanbase but thats not enough to spend a ton of money on a film that no one really knows.
LaHaine

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 am

Hmm... I know "no one really knows" it in the Western world, but that's not the case in Sweden, is it? It was a massive blockbuster, and is still a major cultural touchstone from what I can see (they would hardly have bothered reuniting Bex and Alex last year otherwise). Any SE would certainly have to be a Swedish one, certainly. I guess it depends on what the DVD industry is like there.
Ian
Webmaster

Re: Do you think we ever get a special edition blu-ray or DV

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:26 pm

LaHaine wrote:I'm just wondering has their been any news on a special edition DVD or even a Blu ray release for Fucking Amal. Seen as most of the world has been stuck with a bare bone DVD (with the short Talk as the only Extra). I'm wondering do you think there's a market for a special edition DvD or Blu-ray release?

This is what i would love to have on the D.V.D

A commentary with Rebecka, Alexandra and Lukas.
Another commentary with other cast memebers
Making of Documentary from then and now
A documentary to catch up with cast members on what are they doing Now?

I know thats asking for a lot but This film deserves a extra packed DvD and to hear from Alexandra and Rebecka plus Lukas on their take on the film now would be awesome. Plus hearing from other members of the cast would be great.

Do you think we ever get a special edition anytime soon?

I would add to that clips from the film winning those Swedish film awards to those extras. I would love a documentary on what the cast is up to now and also how filming, the success and the aftermath on how the film had and ha done to them. That would be a great extra plus a new Dvd commentary. I couldn't imagine that costing too much.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Dahls » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:00 am

If only there was justice in the world of film, this one certanly deserves it. *:|*

On an unrelated matter:
Have anyone seen this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=0295991801
A 232 page long book about FA from 2012.

Strongly considering a purchase, but thought I`d check if any of you have seen/read it first.
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby katka » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:37 am

noooo ! Greeeaaat finding Dave ! Beautiful photo-cover *:)* *:)* *:)* and we have one of other pic again :D *:)*
katka
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 am

If it's legit it would be great, but.....
Perhaps I'm just a bit too wary but I'd like to see a review from someone who bought the book first, just to make sure it wasn't another one of those cheap and nasty knock-offs of all the stuff that's available in Wikipedia for free. *:|*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 am

That is an absolutely gorgeous cover photo. :)P

It's real - the author has a couple of others out and it's on the publisher's site - the University of Washington Press - too.

http://www.washington.edu/uwpress/search/books/STELUK.html

Unfortunately I have no credit card and until Amazon does a deal with PayPal, I can't buy from them. :(
Ian
Webmaster

Postby snaps » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm sure she is genuine. I know I've seen her name before. Its likely to be a little on the academic side, so possibly you get your local library or University to order it?

Anna Westerståhl Stenport

(University of Illinois)delivered the keynote addressentitled “Swedish
film: Cinematiclandscapes in Show Me Love, Let the Right One In,and The GirlWith the Dragon Tattoo.”

She began by outlining the increasingshift of Swedish film productionaway from its traditional center in Stockholm to regional produc-tion centers such as Film i Väst(“Trollywood”) in southwestSweden or Filmpool Nord in thenorth. As the primary factors be-hind the increasing regionaliza-tion, Westerståhl Stenport identi-fied EU funding-policies favoringthe regional over the national,as well as general trends in theSwedish and European econo-mies, such as economic decen-tralization and mobility of labor.The Swedish regional film indus-try, which has produced severalinternationally successful moviesover the past decade, is a par-ticularly illustrative example of a pan-European trend away fromnational film funding and produc-tion, which Westerståhl Stenport poignantly summarized as “fromnational and transnational to re-gional.”Westerståhl Stenport wenton to look at how this increas-ing regionalization is reflectedin the portrayal of landscape incontemporary Swedish film. Ina clear break from the nationalcinematic tradition, which tendedto idealize the Swedish landscapeas a refuge of national purity andcohesion opposed to a chang-ing outside world, WesterståhlStenport identified three generaltrends:first, the depiction of anonymous small town settingsdevoid of natural scenery that could be located anywherein Europe, as in the film Show Me Love . Second, the tendencyto substitute one landscape for another, as in the vampire movie Let the Right One In, which wasshot in the north of Sweden butset in Stockholm. Third, the presentation of glossy post-cardlandscapes for internationalaudiences, as in the English lan-guage series Wallander for theBBC

The address ended oncritical note, with WesterståhlStenport observing that despitethe regionalization in produc-tion, contemporary Swedish film tends to feature “non-places”characterized by an erasure of geographical and local markers,thus putting into question wheth-er EU policies of regionalizationachieved the desired effect.
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 am

Ian wrote:Unfortunately I have no credit card and until Amazon does a deal with PayPal...

Its also for sale on ebay :P :wink:
But I think I`ll wait a while until maybe it soon will be available at the library, like Snaps suggested.
Its probably worth buyig it just for the photo cover though *:)* :)P
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am

It IS gorgeous. :)P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby DMt. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 am

And a full-on reissue would be so nice.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:08 am

DMt. wrote:And a full-on reissue would be so nice.

This of the dvd or book??

I assume its the dvd but yeah a proper re release with a few extras would be nice. As i stated before a documentary and new Dvd comentray would be perfect, a few trailers and interviews at the time of films release would be cool too. doesn't need a overload but at least a few worthwhile efforts would be nice also a brushing up on the films stock cause the Dvd releases have been poor quality.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)