Elins reasons for the reltionship

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Elins reasons for the reltionship

Postby LaHaine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:00 am

I just read a thread on IMDB which i will quote here about Elin's reason for the reltionship

"I doubt Elin really loved Agnes. It was more like a rebellion- to be unique in this little village. To get out. Everyone here marks it out to be some great love, but i doubt it"

I'm sure this topic was bought up on this forum down the years. Its always been something that everytime i see the film the way Elin is always looking for new kicks and the fact Elin and Agnes barely spend that much time together. I know its a crime to bring this subject up :lol: but Does Elin really love Agnes????

In my Mind its just another one of her kicks. I do think she loves her as a friend but not in the way Agnes wants her too.
LaHaine

Re: Elins reasons for the reltionship

Postby fish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 am

I've said a few times on this site that "I choose not to see life as it is, but rather as it should be".

I choose to see that Elin and Agnes are fully committed to each other.
May they live for a hundred years, together. *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:49 am

Nah, I really don't buy that at all, and it certainly isn't supported by anything in the actual film. Certainly, she toys with the idea of "being a lesbian" early on, but she isn't serious. It could be argued that even with the "Fake" first kiss, she feels more than she should, but there is no doubt that after the kiss in the car she is absolutely head over heels, much to her own shock and even horror.

Elin is clearly terrified as hell by the thought of acknowledging her feelings for Agnes. This does not strike me as someone doing ANYTHING for "kicks". She does her damndest to deny what she's feeling, until she finally finds out how deeply Agnes cares for her, and is then motivated to act for both their sakes.

Any other interpretation is clearly balderdash, frankly. I don't see how anyone who watched the second half of the film - which deals entirely with Elin's internal struggle to admit that she wants what she wants - could seriously suggest it. *:|*
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Irishman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:07 pm

In the scenes following Elin and Johan having sex, you can almost see on Elin's face that she knows she loves Elin. She tries to sleep with Johan to prove that she doesn't have feelings for Agnes, but cannot lie to herself. She has that same distant gaze on her face lying in bed with Johan, watching the hockey practice with her sister, and lying in her bed (when she's wearing the red sweatshirt). She knows.

A entirely different question could be whether a teenager understands what it means to 'love' beyond the feeling of infatuation, an idea that many adults also struggle with. But as far as Agnes and Elin are capable, they 'love' one another.
Irishman
Faithfull Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 am

This is reminiscent to the legions of dumbos who insist that LTROI's Eli is only grooming a new caretaker in Oskar, and it takes about as long to dispose of [see Ian's comment above].

This stuff says more about the people saying it than it does the actual movie, I reckons.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)