Did SML/FA make you cry?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Did SML/FA make you cry?

Postby Hermes3G » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:57 am

Raise your hand if SML/FA ever made you weep (bros, don't be shy). I just watched it all the way through for the third time (yeah I know, only three times in two weeks. What's wrong with me?). For the first time, tears flowed. Beginning at "Did you mean what you said before?" and lasting till the end credits. For me, the effect is getting stronger with each viewing, not weaker. I'm thinking about it more over time, not less. What on earth kind of film is this?

In my whole adult (?) life only one other film has made me cry, "To Kill a Mockingbird" when Boo Radley comes out.
Hermes3G
Silver Member

Re: Did SML/FA make you cry?

Postby fish » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:56 am

:W

Hermes3G wrote:...What on earth kind of film is this?...

Definitely has to be an alien plot to weaken the stoic resolve of us mere Earthlings.
I mean, what else could it be? :shock: :T

Chalk one up to the Daleks, I think. :roll: :lol:

At last count I've watched FÅ around 1,257,652 times, but I may have missed a few, and I find tears in my eyes almost every time.
For the first million times I thought it was just hayfever, now I'm not so sure.

I don't mind in the least admiting that this is a very special film. Image
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:38 am

I have to be honest and say... no. You big wusses. :P

No, seriously, it hasn't, but it has certainly affected me emotionally, to the extent of being haunted by it for many days after a viewing.

I'm too dead inside to cry, though. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby katka » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:30 am

I don't exactly remember for it yet, but if I would was crying when watching this film so I would really didn't forget it. But even I would have to say that I had near tears when I saw Agnes very sad from it all, the scene on the couch in the living room when talking to her father or the scene in the hallway at school when Agnes sees Elin and then Elin just goes around Agnes and does that they do not know. At that moment, Agnes falls head so sad that I'm really sorry for her. But that's downright drove me to tears, probably not. Rather, I laughed some funny scenes in there. Where was a bit of humor, so I smiled shyly, as if I was a direct participant. The whole thing is so cute and so beautifully sincere, that this way made ​​me rather sheepishly smile about as it is true. Or an incredibly strong impact on me had kissing scene in the car. Then each time I had to it returned several times and had weird clenched stomach. :roll: :wink:
katka
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:01 pm

I`m with Ian, don`t think I ever cried.
It has given me enormous amount of joy, and perhaps brought my heartbeat to an dangerous height, but I can`t recall any tears.

Hermes3G wrote:For me, the effect is getting stronger with each viewing, not weaker. I'm thinking about it more over time, not less.

I second that! Although, when watching it several times in a few days, I have to restraint and wait like a month for next viewing, so the effect won`t wear off. :lol:
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Ian wrote:I'm too dead inside to cry, though. :P

These things can be arranged :twisted: mwuhhhuhhuh

I have felt the sorrow for Agnes, when left on her own after the Judas kiss from Elin, and wanted to punch my fist through the TV screen. But again, this is just good, naturalistic storytelling. On seeing the abandonment of Marie by Floriane in ''Water Lilies'' I've wanted to chuck my TV out of the window.

Having a good blub is very catharctic :cry: Helps hold a mirror up to ourselves and gain perspective. Being, even just a bit older, makes a huge difference, you can shake it off much easier, but being sixteen is truly awful, when you don't yet got the emotional resources to scrape yourself off the floor and believe that it get's better. :roll:
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Juule » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 am

Hermes3G wrote:Raise your hand if SML/FA ever made you weep (bros, don't be shy).

It does, every time.

Sadly the effect has weakened a bit (or somehow changed), but still, really emotional experience it is.

I guess it's time to watch it again, soon! *:)*
Juule
Crew Member

Postby Kso » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Damn, you all so sensitive :wink: I'm the same :mrgreen:
Here is my list of movies, where you just must cry :twisted:
"Titanic' - when Leo sinking into the water :cry:
"Leon" - where Matilda tells Leon about her little brother :cry:
"Hachiko: A Dog's Story" - half movie :cry: :cry:
"Passion of the Christ" - whole movie :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by Kso on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kso
Crew Member

Postby katka » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Ooooh Hachiko ! It's very sad. :(
katka
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 pm

I don't think I've ever cried watching FÅ, although unlike Ian I'm capable of crying :wink:

I've just found FÅ to be a sweet and funny film made with "finger tip feeling", and also a cult movie with great music

It was low-budget movie you know, that nobody thought would become such a huge success

And BD was a real indie band that through this film got a much bigger audience in Sweden than they'd had before

Today more than 10 years after the Fucking Åmål-mania in Sweden I feel the film is more of a cult film, instead of a mainstream classic

It is very seldom shown on TV, and when it was shown in the cinematheque in 2008 it had only a handful of visitors actually

Moodysson never became a great and celebrated director in Sweden either, he seems to have had a bit of a hard time to follow up the big success of FÅ, and he also made a couple of really weird films that were complete flops
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi my first post here :W

When i first saw it back in early 2000, it did wet my eyes a bit cause its a very touching film and both of the girls really invested you in their characters journey. I always felt looking back on the film as a younger man, Rebecka's Agnes always made the film rather touching thats why i felt the first 45 minutes of the film were always the best right up to the kiss in the back of the car after i felt it wasn't as strong emotional for me. But now looking back at the film as man in his early 30's. Alexandra's as Elin,role seems a lot stronger and the second half of the film holds up a lot stronger and is far more touching for me.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Ummm, no.

But then, neither did Water Lilies/NdP, or Let The Right One in, and all three have affected me hugely...Monster did, though, possibly because I knew something of the background to the case from Nick Broomfield's doc.

Hey Cheevers, welcome.
Last edited by DMt. on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 pm

DMt. wrote:Ummm, no.

But then, neither did Ndp OR Let The Right One in, and all three have affected me hugely...Monster did, though, possibly because I knew something of the background to the case from Nick Broomfield's doc.

Hey Cheevers, welcome.

Hey DMt :W

Let the right one in took top spot from fucking amal as my fav swedish film, such a touching and dark film. What is NDP??
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:I don't think I've ever cried watching FÅ, although unlike Ian I'm capable of crying :wink:

I've just found FÅ to be a sweet and funny film made with "finger tip feeling", and also a cult movie with great music

It was low-budget movie you know, that nobody thought would become such a huge success

And BD was a real indie band that through this film got a much bigger audience in Sweden than they'd had before

Today more than 10 years after the Fucking Åmål-mania in Sweden I feel the film is more of a cult film, instead of a mainstream classic

It is very seldom shown on TV, and when it was shown in the cinematheque in 2008 it had only a handful of visitors actually

Moodysson never became a great and celebrated director in Sweden either, he seems to have had a bit of a hard time to follow up the big success of FÅ, and he also made a couple of really weird films that were complete flops

Sorry I have to pull you up on this AandEforever, Moodysson's Tillersmann and Lilya4ever are better known and made Moodysson's name aboard and are probably two of the best films of 00's. So following up Fucking Amal in my eyes he matched it with Tillersmann, which is every bit as great as FA and Lilya4ever his best known work. With A hole in my Heart is when his work started to slip really badly as it went more into Avant garde. Tillersmann made more money in Sweden then Fucking Amal too i believe. Sorry I'm a massive Moodysson fan and this is rather a false remark to make.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Cheevers4ever wrote:Hey DMt :W

Let the right one in took top spot from fucking amal as my fav swedish film, such a touching and dark film.

You said a bundle there. I love 'em both, me, but for very different reasons.

Cheevers4ever wrote:What is NDP??

I really must stop using these acronyms... Water Lilies, originally Naissance des Pieuvres, is what I meant. If you liked FA and LTROI [damn!] then run, don't walk, to your preferred media supplier, get a nice bottle of something, and settle in for a real treat.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)