Did SML/FA make you cry?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: Did SML/FA make you cry?

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:10 pm

Cheevers4ever wrote:Sorry I have to pull you up on this AandEforever, Moodysson's Tillersmann and Lilya4ever are better known and made Moodysson's name aboard and are probably two of the best films of 00's. So following up Fucking Amal in my eyes he matched it with Tillersmann, which is every bit as great as FA and Lilya4ever his best known work. With A hole in my Heart is when his work started to slip really badly as it went more into Avant garde. Tillersmann made more money in Sweden then Fucking Amal too i believe. Sorry I'm a massive Moodysson fan and this is rather a false remark to make.

You misunderstand Cheevers4ever, I'm talking about Moodysson today.

He's not exactly a big name in the movie business in Sweden nowadays.

After FÅ he was of course very much talked about and Tillsammans was indeed even bigger at the box office than FÅ.

Tillersmann btw? Wasn't the film called Together internationally?

Anyway, Lilya 4-Ever was a good film, but wasn't a hit with audiences the same as his two previous films.

Hole in my heart and Container were flops.

Mammut was so-so I think, maybe it was better received internationally?

Lilya 4-Ever was perhaps also better received abroad?

Bottom line is Moodysson didn't have a consistent great career as director after the promising FÅ, either with audiences or the critics in Sweden.

He was a writer also and he does this today as well, maybe he's more succesful as a writer.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:
Cheevers4ever wrote:Sorry I have to pull you up on this AandEforever, Moodysson's Tillersmann and Lilya4ever are better known and made Moodysson's name aboard and are probably two of the best films of 00's. So following up Fucking Amal in my eyes he matched it with Tillersmann, which is every bit as great as FA and Lilya4ever his best known work. With A hole in my Heart is when his work started to slip really badly as it went more into Avant garde. Tillersmann made more money in Sweden then Fucking Amal too i believe. Sorry I'm a massive Moodysson fan and this is rather a false remark to make.

You misunderstand Cheevers4ever, I'm talking about Moodysson today.

He's not exactly a big name in the movie business in Sweden nowadays.

After FÅ he was of course very much talked about and Tillsammans was indeed even bigger at the box office than FÅ.

Tillersmann btw? Wasn't the film called Together internationally?

Anyway, Lilya 4-Ever was a good film, but wasn't a hit with audiences the same as his two previous films.

Hole in my heart and Container were flops.

Mammut was so-so I think, maybe it was better received internationally?

Lilya 4-Ever was perhaps also better received abroad?

Bottom line is Moodysson didn't have a consistent great career as director after the promising FÅ, either with audiences or the critics in Sweden.

He was a writer also and he does this today as well, maybe he's more succesful as a writer.

Sorry AandEforever i misunderstood :W

He cerainly isn't the great director he was during his first three films. Although i enjoyed a Hole in my heart but Container was
very up itself and a waste of time.Mammoth was not great. not surprised Lilya4ever wasn't a bit hit not great commerical cinema for its subject. But a great great film.

Together is what its known as over here and is probably his best known work. Very touching, dark at times but great characters that are flawed. Probably Moodysson best written film. I think fucking amal is his best acted and most watchable. Didn't fucking amal wins a few Swedish Oscars?
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm

It got awards for best film, best directing, best script, and both Rebecka and Alexandra got awards for best leading actress.

Normally only one actress can get it, but they made an exception with this film :wink:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:It got awards for best film, best directing, best script, and both Rebecka and Alexandra got awards for best leading actress.

Normally only one actress can get it, but they made an exception with this film :wink:

Well deserved for all four awards it got. I saw a few clips on youtube of Moodysson giving the finger to the crowd and the Girls collecting their award for the film. Seen as it won four Swedish Oscars, i'm really surprised to hear from fans in Sweden that the film is seen as a cult hit rather then one of the country's top films. No special edition Dvd with a ton of special features and a commentary from the girls and Moodysson would be amazing. I read that F.A made more money then Titanic in Sweden yet is seen as a cult hit. In Ireland even films made here that were big hits and criticial success got special Edition DVDS a few years later.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:11 pm

It was both a commercial and a critical success in 1998-99, and the film was a hit particularly among teenagers of course.

In the swedish film history it is regarded a a classic and an extremely successful film.

I just mean it doesn't seem to get a lot of new fans, teenagers today probably have no relation to this film.

It's been shown 2-3 times on TV in Sweden since 1998 which isn't much.

There's been 3 dvd releases, none with any extra material apart from Moodysson's commentary track.

When it was shown in the cinemateque in Malmö in 2008 it had less than 10 visitors.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Moodysson is btw, about to make another youth film, filming starts this fall, and the premiere is scheduled for fall next year.

Probably this film will be less weird or dark than some of his other films, and if it's a success, perhaps it will spark new interest in FÅ :?:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Moodysson is btw, about to make another youth film, filming starts this fall, and the premiere is scheduled for fall next year.

Probably this film will be less weird or dark than some of his other films, and if it's a success, perhaps it will spark new interest in FÅ :?:

based on his wife's Comic about her teenage years in a Punk Teen band, it sounds like Fucking amal like.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:It was both a commercial and a critical success in 1998-99, and the film was a hit particularly among teenagers of course.

In the swedish film history it is regarded a a classic and an extremely successful film.

I just mean it doesn't seem to get a lot of new fans, teenagers today probably have no relation to this film.

It's been shown 2-3 times on TV in Sweden since 1998 which isn't much.

There's been 3 dvd releases, none with any extra material apart from Moodysson's commentary track.

When it was shown in the cinemateque in Malmö in 2008 it had less than 10 visitors.

Only shown that many times on tv for a succesful Swedish film thats pretty bad. Most succcesful irish films are shown once every year . Fucking amal has only been shown once on Irish tv back in 2000. I think the fact it didn't get a big dvd re release and that Moodysson's career has been on a downward spiral hasn't helped it.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:It's been shown 2-3 times on TV in Sweden since 1998 which isn't much.

This is almost unbelievable. It is shown at least once a year on German TV (although, it must be said, usually late at night).
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:13 am

Yes, it is deeply strange for a movie that was such a phenomenon. How very peculiar.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby katka » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:00 am

here it was broadcast also something around 2x-3x since 1999. :roll:

by the way I would like actualization my status :roll:

One year ago make me cry, maybe a little. Today make me smile :D
katka
Crew Member

Postby MSandt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I've seen the movie around 20-30 times and it has never made me cry, not even close. Movies have never made me cry really but some movies have scenes that tear me up a bit, but these are never sad scenes per se, more like great scenes.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby Hermes3G » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 am

Nine months since I first saw it, and I sometimes tear up just thinking about it. Most of the time I smile, though. :D
Hermes3G
Silver Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:15 am

I think it did a little, even for a tough guy like me :D

The scenes that always get me a little teary eyed...

1. The Scene when Elin/Jessica go around to Agnes and Elin kisses Agnes in a cruel bet. Rebecka's look of heartbreak is her best piece of acting in the film. Broke my heart.
2. The talk between a heartbroken Agnes and her father, something about this scene just melts the heart. A caring father trying to reach out and failing.
3. The scene on the Bridge up to the kiss in the car between Agnes and Elin, the best few minutes of the whole film just perfect.
4. The Ending. Just a nice happy ending at that time in their lives. From them coming out of the toilet to the speech on the bed simple and effected. perfect ending to a great film.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 am

So many scenes like that, aren't there?

They all brought a tear to my eye, but it may have just been a speck of dust.
And the fact that I'm a wimp. :cry: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)