Watch it without subtitles

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Watch it without subtitles

Postby Hermes3G » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 am

I'm sure this has been mentioned in another thread at some point, but for non-swedes, if you've never watched SML/FA without subtitles, I highly recommend it. I watched it this morning, and I can tell you it adds a whole new dimension of appreciation. I'll take subtitles over dubs any day, but the problem with subtitles is that they drag your eyes to the bottom of the screen, causing you to miss many nuances of the actors' performances and facial expressions as well as details of dress, sets, props, etc. If you've never watched it without subtitles, you'll see countless things you never noticed before. That's the visual dimension. The aural dimension is also enchanced, because when reading subtitles you "hear" the english translation in your head, and it partially drowns out the actors' voices. I never really noticed how deliciously smooth and sultry Rebecka's voice is, and I love how Alex sounds when she's annoyed or frustrated (most of the time in other words!). Since this was my fourth viewing, I knew what everyone was saying and didn't feel lost at all. There were only a few moments when I wondered "what were they talking about here?"

Give it a try.
Hermes3G
Silver Member

Re: Watch it without subtitles

Postby katka » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:46 pm

For you Hermes it is exactly the same course as me. I totally understand you on this matter. :wink: I felt just like you and I within 14 days saw it at least 6 times. In different variants. :lol: Even my first observation was one deep evening in Spanish on YT, then the next day also on YT in Swedish. Then in during the next few days it was alternated (because I love Spanish). Then me took to very well also Swedish and I started have interest for it, as well as the entire nation and the whole Scandinavia. Over the next few months already, it was just some music videos and some snippets of scenes in other languages ​​(Russian, Hungarian, Polish) and recently I finally got a well to our Czech dubbed version, but that made me quite disappointed :? even if we have it quite good. :roll:
katka
Crew Member

Postby Kso » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:04 pm

I never watch FA with subtitles, because i have it in russian dub :mrgreen: But original version must watch surely. Whitout subs :)P
Kso
Crew Member

Postby katka » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Kso wrote:I never watch FA with subtitles, because i have it in russian dub :mrgreen: But original version must watch surely. Whitout subs :)P

OMG, dubbed in Russian was extremely hard for my ears. :lol: There was can hear original sound on background...same as in Polish.... 8) :roll:
You should watch it in original :wink:
katka
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:34 pm

I've watched Water Lilies with French subs, they weren't verbatim but it was still very nice, especially at x0.67 or x0.5 speed. But now I can watch both films [and Let The Right One In] without subtitles and know what's going on, and I agree, it's much more immersive when you're not reading all the time.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby MSandt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 am

I've been watching movies without subtitles since 2003. (I live in Finland where movies are never dubbed unless their target audience consists of children who can't read.) Of course, since 99% of the movies I see are from English-speaking countries this doesn't present any problems. I watch FÅ occasionally without subtitles but sometimes I turn them on just to argue (in my head that is) with the translators; it's extremely easy for me to pick up any errors or "creative" solutions that translators have come up with. I've been thinking of getting the French DVD too just to get French subtitles but unfortunately the movie doesn't seem to have the original audio track at all. (I really detest the French language fanaticism.)
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 am

MSandt wrote:..."creative" solutions that translators have come up with...

The best "creative" solution I've seen was in the three "Millenium" dvd's I bought from Malaysia and which were translated to English in Hong Kong. Whenever they came upon a word or phrase that didn't immediately translate they just inserted a few Chinese characters.
Makes for interesting viewing though if you can speak Chinese. :lol:

And yes. I often watch Fucking Åmal with the subs turned off.
I love being able to concentrate on Agnes' and Elin's voices. *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Last week I discovered that the complet subtitles are better than no subtitles.

The words do not have the same letters in different languages. When changing language foreign words should be put in the space of the original language.
If there are no space the words are cut. If there are a lot of space must added plenty of things not original .
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:18 pm

2 examples,

- In FA when Elin asks you to go with her to the party and she says they have not invited .
Elin answer: We will burn his house.
With subtitle : If they do not let enter to you in his house, we will burn them house.

It Better understood .

- The scene WC , Elin says :
I've thought a lot of things about you.
The subtitlos say I've thought a lot about you.

It Better understood
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:45 am

English is a strange language. :T

In the first example the first part of Elin's statement is tacit. That is, it's implied. It doesn't need to be said.
"We'll burn their house" is correct for spoken English.

In the second example, "I've thought a lot about you" is a much better translation.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Elin seems says a lot of nonsense and crazy throughout the movie .
In this case the subtitle helps me in that comment.
Without the subtitle I must have to guess.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:05 am

I suspect Elin's "crazy" nature is deliberate.
It shows her impulsiveness and her very young age.

The subtitles in all my copies of FÅ are not great, but as far as Elin is concerned I'd say her craziness was more a credit to Lukas' scriptwriting.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 pm

fish wrote:I suspect Elin's "crazy" nature is deliberate.
It shows her impulsiveness and her very young age.

Yes It's true, but the question is not her impulsiveness and her very young age.

The important is that you must receive the same message that original movie.
With subtitle can be there more words than when they are speaking.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 am

Santi wrote:The important is that you must receive the same message that original movie.

Yes, good point.
Even simple things like the "O'boy".
Most subtitles say "chocolate milk", while one says "Nesquik".
Why not just say "O'boy"?
Very annoying. :x
It's like they don't trust us to use our brains.

There are lots of other examples too. :T
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:10 am

Bloody Nestle muscling in on everything! :evil: :P
Ian
Webmaster

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)