What made Agnes fall in love with Elin?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

What made Agnes fall in love with Elin?

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Why did Agnes fall for Elin?

One could think Elin was too different and that Agnes would fall for someone more intellectual or deep so to speak.

Was it a case of opposites attract or was there something else about this romance?

Maybe Agnes just found Elin beautiful and gorgeous?
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Re: What made Agnes fall in love with Elin?

Postby katka » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:12 pm

I think that the last reason. Elin was just beautiful and exuded an aura around self. But in any case there was something more because how Agnes after the altercation wrote to computer. Agnes knew the difference between them and saw that Elin seems to be half-witted, but yet all...she writes that she is the one who is stupid that even after the hurt what Elin done her heart, she still loves her and doesn't know why.
katka
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Why did Agnes fall for Elin?

One could think Elin was too different and that Agnes would fall for someone more intellectual or deep so to speak.

Was it a case of opposites attract or was there something else about this romance?

Maybe Agnes just found Elin beautiful and gorgeous?

I think at the start before she got to know Elin, i do think deep down for Agnes it was cause of Elin been the School babe. Thats why she loved her.

But i think the moment on the bridge changed all that when Agnes found out that Elin had ambitions and dreams of wanting to leave town and better herself plus i think Agnes seen that Elin cared for her as she came back to say sorry after her and her sister bet and that she told Agnes to pursue her dreams. I think it wasn't all about Elins looks after that.

Thats why i think the first 45 minutes of Fucking Amal is the most perfect and touching film about teens ever, cause its about Teens getting to know one and another and how life can be crap and great at times. After the kiss the film loses a bit of its shape but its still a wonderful film cause Agnes is kinda left on the side and the film suffers a little with her loss.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:29 pm

I dunno...I'd noticed the slight paucity of Rebecka too, but figured it was because the story of Elin's struggle to hang on to a hetero identity had to be told. I still wonder if there are deleted scenes, unused material that will one day be released, but Lukas seems almost to see the film as a liability now, never mind any re-cut options.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 am

And anyway, how can you not fall in love with Elin? Somehow we all understand that she's the school babe, the darling of the place. She's not as cultured as Agnes but she is so dynamic.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 am

DMt. wrote:And anyway, how can you not fall in love with Elin? Somehow we all understand that she's the school babe, the darling of the place. She's not as cultured as Agnes but she is so dynamic.

What i like about Elin is she is willing to go out and be someone and thats why i think Agnes loves about her, she's everything Agnes wish she was. I mean in out going and not giving a damn what people think. Thats why the ending for me is powerful She's the one who's going to lose the most out of this, Agnes is already unpopular so it won't change for her and she's pretty much comfortable about her sexuality. For Elin i doubt she be the School babe no more, for a girl that age and in that school that be tough plus She's only starting to express that side of her sexuality and thats tough in itself.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:20 am

DMt. wrote:I dunno...I'd noticed the slight paucity of Rebecka too, but figured it was because the story of Elin's struggle to hang on to a hetero identity had to be told. I still wonder if there are deleted scenes, unused material that will one day be released, but Lukas seems almost to see the film as a liability now, never mind any re-cut options.

I think first half is Agnes tale and the second half is Elin's, i do think Elin was far more involved in Agnes half of it then Agnes was in Elins. I agree with you DMT that Elins story had to be told just felt Agnes was sort of lost in the film until the ending of the cause.I think Moodysson be more at easy with it now, he seems with his new film he's going back to his fun and sunny side. I hope one day he will go back to Fucking amal and add a few scenes in if theirs any.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby DMt. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 am

Thats why the ending for me is powerful She's the one who's going to lose the most out of this, Agnes is already unpopular so it won't change for her and she's pretty much comfortable about her sexuality. For Elin i doubt she be the School babe no more, for a girl that age and in that school that be tough plus She's only starting to express that side of her sexuality and thats tough in itself.

Well said, that's what I meant by 'hetero identity' but you've put it in a better, more compassionate way.
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:49 am

DMt. wrote:
Thats why the ending for me is powerful She's the one who's going to lose the most out of this, Agnes is already unpopular so it won't change for her and she's pretty much comfortable about her sexuality. For Elin i doubt she be the School babe no more, for a girl that age and in that school that be tough plus She's only starting to express that side of her sexuality and thats tough in itself.

Well said, that's what I meant by 'hetero identity' but you've put it in a better, more compassionate way.

Thanks :) , if you think of it its a slightly dark ending although many see it as a happy upbeat ending but i know they are fictional characters but its the day after that will change a lot for them, they will be picked on and have to stand up in a small town that will sadly look down on them .we have to remember Elin is only 14 and she is still very young, Agnes is slightly older but is probably in a lot more control. I think the happy ending has a slight bit of darkness to it for that reason
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby katka » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:05 pm

I would rather wonder what would said Elin to Agnes in the phone if would Jessica didn't disturb Elin when she came into the room. It should be noted that Elin gathered the courage to call Agnes, and she would definitely was ready for some good conversation. I wonder if she would given an appointment with Agnes. :roll: :)P
katka
Crew Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:25 am

katka wrote:I think that the last reason. Elin was just beautiful and exuded an aura around self. But in any case there was something more because how Agnes after the altercation wrote to computer. Agnes knew the difference between them and saw that Elin seems to be half-witted, but yet all...she writes that she is the one who is stupid that even after the hurt what Elin done her heart, she still loves her and doesn't know why.

Like in any 80's teen flick, The nerd or outcast fall's for the popular person, the untouchable beautiful person. Popular person finds the good and caring side of that person. The outcast/Nerd bring out something in the popular person they thought they never could bring out. Fucking Amal does play out like a 80's Teen film, if you look closely. Instead of boy/girl its girl/girl :).

I think it's down to wanting to be noticed and obviously breaking the chains from her non existence life (in Agnes mind), obviously cause Elin's Sexy too helps. She's her dream girl, I don't think she notices the smarts that Elin has underneath the good looks until the scene on the bridge. Maybe it's unexplainable and it's just that feeling you love someone and you can't explain it especially when you are 16.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)