Is Fucking Amal your Favourite film of all time?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Is Fucking Amal your Favourite film of all time?

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:35 am

and if it isn't where would you place it in your best of all time list.

It was top ten for me for a good few years, until probably four years ago where its been top 20 ever since.

1. La Haine 2. Taxi driver 3. Dead Man shoes 4. Pulp fiction 5.Tillsammans 6. Drive 7.Room for romeo Brass. 8. The beat that my heart skipped 9. The Dark Knight 10.Pusher 2.

Fucking Amal would be number 12, i still consinder it a 10/10 film just doesn't have the same impact as it did when i was younger.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Re: Is Fucking Amal your Favourite film of all time?

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:40 am

Probably not, but I don't think I have a number one. It's probably paranoiac/weird of me, but I think that places far too much pressure on any one movie! It's certainly in my top 10, probably top 5, though I don't have a definitive list, really. Black Christmas (original :roll: ), Halloween (original :roll: ), REC, Leon, Aliens, American Werewolf in London would also be in there. Possibly Royal Tenenbaums and at least one of the Potters (possibly 5).

I couldn't do a definitive list, though. I've tried doing that for my fave Doctor Who stories, but the truth is sometimes, even with your faves, sometimes you enjoy one more than the other on one viewing and then 5 years later it's the other way round! :wink: :roll:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Hermes3G » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:31 am

FA is my new number 2, and probably always will be, and there's quite a distance between it and number 3, whichever that is. It couldn't quite displace my longtime number 1, though the gap is narrow. That would be "To Kill a Mockingbird." Favorite book, too.

For what it's worth (and it's worth quite a lot, IMO), Ingmar Bergman praised FA as a masterpiece.
Hermes3G
Silver Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 am

Hermes3G wrote:FA is my new number 2, and probably always will be, and there's quite a distance between it and number 3, whichever that is. It couldn't quite displace my longtime number 1, though the gap is narrow. That would be "To Kill a Mockingbird." Favorite book, too.

For what it's worth (and it's worth quite a lot, IMO), Ingmar Bergman praised FA as a masterpiece.

But Moodysson real masterpiece is Together, just a wonderful film.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Rebecka Fan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 am

It depends. It's number 2 on my Top 10 Swedish films list. Number 1 is Eva & Adam: Four Birthday's and a Fiasco.
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby katka » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 am

well with the first place I have a little problem. For many years it's a French film, I wrote it somewhere - Le Jaguar (1996) but since I saw Fucking Amal, I have some doubts about it. Because of its popularity is still growing for me. I do not know if I will have interest about Fucking Amal for whole life, but I will have definitely a long time. Just the one my favorite movie Le Jaguar occupied on the front rung about 6 years. I love when it comes change, something new after all this time, so I can not pinpoint how long FA will on the front positions for me, but probably about the same time.

by the way...my favorite ten films are also: Le Magnifique (with J.P. Belmondo and Jacqueline Bisset), The Ninth Gate ( J. Depp), Malá mořská víla (Die kleine Meerjungfrau) - Czechoslovak film from 1976, Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (with A. Tautou), Tais-toi! (J.Reno, G.Depardieu), Pane, vy jste vdova! (Sir, You are the widow!) ČSSR 1970, Světáci (Men about Town) ČSSR 1969, Velké trápení (Great suffering - It's not official name for the film, is only translation of the czech name) from 1974 also our film.
katka
Crew Member

Postby MSandt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 am

It's my favorite film, although I usually have a top 5 (FÅ, The Thin Red Line, 12 Monkeys, Mulholland Drive, Alien) that I wouldn't want to present in any specific order.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:15 am

Yeah, that's probably the best idea.
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Dahls » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:05 pm

I find that favourite lists, particulary with films, are almost impossible to make.

Fun to see a returning member, welcome back, MSandt! :)
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 am

They are, because it tends to change every time you watch them!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:04 am

No sadly it's in my top 10 although it's moved down a little from it's place at number 3 about ten years ago.
I still think it's the best film on been a teenager I've ever seen. I think Rebecka Liljeberg performance still gives me goosebumps and I still have that crush on her I had when I first saw it in 2000 :D
It's a film I watched less over the years compared to the other film's in my top 10, I probably overdone watching and wore myself out on the film cause I did watch it once a week from 2002 until 2005.
I still think it's a wonderful piece of work and the ending is still one of the more uplifting and happy ending's I've seen. Love the performances from all the cast and the soundtrack.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 am

There are so many films I classify as my "favourites", and Fucking Åmål is certainly among them, but I don't really kept account of what's the current number one these days.

Having said that, I should add that this was a ground breaking film in many respects, not least of which was the use of actors of the appropriate age. Also the dialogue written by Lukas, and the exquisite performances by Alex and Bex. *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 pm

ArcticMonkeys wrote:cause I did watch it once a week from 2002 until 2005.

That means you watched it a roughly 156 times. :shock: :P

No wonder you wore it out. :P
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 am

Dahls wrote:
ArcticMonkeys wrote:cause I did watch it once a week from 2002 until 2005.

That means you watched it a roughly 156 times. :shock: :P

No wonder you wore it out. :P

Pretty much :) It's such a wonderful experience that it put a smile on my face. Thank god I got it on DVD as a part of the Lukas Moodysson Box Set cause my Video tape broke.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 am

fish wrote:There are so many films I classify as my "favourites", and Fucking Åmål is certainly among them, but I don't really kept account of what's the current number one these days.

Having said that, I should add that this was a ground breaking film in many respects, not least of which was the use of actors of the appropriate age. Also the dialogue written by Lukas, and the exquisite performances by Alex and Bex. *:)* *:)*

Agreed very much fish, it's far more groundbreaking that many would have you think. Take away the Lesbian part of it away, everything you mentioned makes it every bit as groundbreaking. The American's have only caught up in recent times with films such as Juno , Kings of Summer and the Way Way back.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)