How busy was this site at its peak of fandom?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

How busy was this site at its peak of fandom?

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:30 am

i assume we have at least one or two members still here who have been on Fucking-Amal.com since its creation or near enough. seen as the site doesn't seem very busy apart from the usual bunch i've seen (who are great and very welcoming:D ) just wondered how busy this site was at the height of its time or has it always been this quiet.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Re: How busy was this site at its peak of fandom?

Postby DMt. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 am

<a tumbleweed rolls by...the wind blusters fitfully...a dog barks in the distance, over and over...high in the sky, a few tiny clouds move very slowly towards the East...the streets shimmer in their own heat...a lizard scurries halfway up a wall, then stops>
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:53 am

I have no idea. I'm sure it was the rager back in the day. I've been here four years and it was about the same. Kyle (RebeckaFan) was here before me, I think, I'm not certain how long for. Not sure about Magnus. I think all the other current members (fishy, katka and our dear devoted snapsie et al) all came after me, so I doubt they'd know either!

I'm happy with the numbers, personally. I don't think it's bad at all for a site devoted to just one little 14-year old foreign film. As long as we keep our little regular band of merry men (and women), the site will keep on, afaic. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Ian wrote:I have no idea. I'm sure it was the rager back in the day. I've been here four years and it was about the same. Kyle (RebeckaFan) was here before me, I think, I'm not certain how long for. Not sure about Magnus. I think all the other current members (fishy, katka and our dear devoted snapsie et al) all came after me, so I doubt they'd know either!

I'm happy with the numbers, personally. I don't think it's bad at all for a site devoted to just one little 14-year old foreign film. As long as we keep our little regular band of merry men (and women), the site will keep on, afaic. :D

I'm just wondering looking back on old threads on this site, seen names i haven't seen on the forum since i arrived. Its a wonderful forum and i'm happy i joined just taught i ask :P . I just been replying in threads and the page seems to be full of my name as last to post, i just hoped i was the only one here at times :D
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby katka » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:19 pm

I agree with you Ian. :D And what Oeb? He is there since 2006 ... he seems to be the oldest member and was also responsible for administration forum, until recently. Otherwise, since your ''arrival'' Cheevers I don't catch to read all post here. Much of it there came rushing back thanks you. :wink:
katka
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm

On this thread I tracked down over old fansites and webpages using the Wayback machine. There are probably around 40 left inactive around in cyberspace, with an estimate of around 120 sites active during the heyday of the film's release in the early 2000's. My main surprise is that there is still any forum left at all. not at all bad for a film of 14 years of age. Most of the other film-specific fansites I have seen tend to have an active lifespan of no more than three years. For example, Sallys Friends which is dedicated to the highly popular Millenium Trilogy signed off on 19th July this year.

http://fucking-amal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1692
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:36 pm

I joined shortly before Ian.

If you click on members in the upper right corner, you can see all the members, how many posts they have and when they joined.

Of course this forum wasn't around at the time of the success in Sweden in 1998-99, but rather when the film was exported to foreign markets.

I don't think there have been many Swedish members here before.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:I joined shortly before Ian.

If you click on members in the upper right corner, you can see all the members, how many posts they have and when they joined.

Of course this forum wasn't around at the time of the success in Sweden in 1998-99, but rather when the film was exported to foreign markets.

I don't think there have been many Swedish members here before.

I think its great having Swedish members on here cause You guys and girls can give us a real view on how this film is seen in the country where he's had its major impact.
How its influence culture at the time and even now in swedish culture.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby Cheevers4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 pm

snaps wrote:On this thread I tracked down over old fansites and webpages using the Wayback machine. There are probably around 40 left inactive around in cyberspace, with an estimate of around 120 sites active during the heyday of the film's release in the early 2000's. My main surprise is that there is still any forum left at all. not at all bad for a film of 14 years of age. Most of the other film-specific fansites I have seen tend to have an active lifespan of no more than three years. For example, Sallys Friends which is dedicated to the highly popular Millenium Trilogy signed off on 19th July this year.

http://fucking-amal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1692

Thanks for that snaps :D

its cultdom probably has died down a little sadly over the years thanks to Moodysson not making top quality films anymore and the sad fact some of the fans have grown older and probably love the film less then they did when they were younger.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Postby fish » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:17 am

I remember Sydney writing that he was one of the founders of the Forum and that OEB took over after him.

Sydney has been known to still drop in from time to time, so maybe he can give us a bit more info next time he's here.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Anyway, it's quality, not quantity, right? [cough] O-)

C4e wrote:I just been replying in threads and the page seems to be full of my name as last to post, i just hoped i was the only one here at times :D

Cheevers In Forum-Wipe Angst Shock...??? :lol:

I've had running battles in the past, with forum pals on unmoderated, to keep just such a page intact - for a while anyway. Great fun.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:25 am

I think the only one who could authoritatively answer the question is Syd, who set up the whole thing in 2003. When I joined in 2005 (after having been watching discussions from outside for half a year) there were about 15 or 20 regular contributors (estimated) with about the same number of people lurking in the background, occasionally leaving a post. So there was a lot more going on than in the last three or four years, even though the community has never been huge by any standard. At that time, there were two more forums, dedicated to Rebekka and Alexandra, respectively, which were a bit smaller, but also still alive. The Dahlstrom forum has completely gone up in smoke around 2006. The Liljeberg forum is deserted since 2006 too, but there is the backup page made available by droopy (if it still exists). Very active members of this community at the time when I joined were some of the people whose names one finds in the member list, above all Narcissus and Anny, and also Sphinx, blond, darkleon, hook, Justme90, styvisor, Spain_1, robinn, arkz1531, Nemo_Me, and, a little later, Kolya. Kyle (RebeckaFan) was also there. Looking back, it seems to me that what broke this community's neck was when, in late 2006, the forum very unexpectedly changed owners (and its URL) overnight, as Sydney abruptly stepped down (for reasons he would never unveil) and OEB took over. Very few of the old gang came back. In 2007, it was practically dead. I checked in every few weeks or so only to find that nothing had happened. That only changed when Ian and fish and Magnus turned up in 2008.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:22 am

I remember some of those names from when I was just a non-posting lurker. :shock: :oops:

I can accept that life moves on and that demands on people's time changes, but wouldn't it be great to hear from some of the originals, even if they just drop by for the occasional visit. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:07 am

Sad but understandable that the Rebecka forum has died, though, really, given that she basically vanished 11 years ago. Unfortunate that Alex's did too though. :(
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Cheevers4ever » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 am

kant1781 wrote:I think the only one who could authoritatively answer the question is Syd, who set up the whole thing in 2003. When I joined in 2005 (after having been watching discussions from outside for half a year) there were about 15 or 20 regular contributors (estimated) with about the same number of people lurking in the background, occasionally leaving a post. So there was a lot more going on than in the last three or four years, even though the community has never been huge by any standard. At that time, there were two more forums, dedicated to Rebekka and Alexandra, respectively, which were a bit smaller, but also still alive. The Dahlstrom forum has completely gone up in smoke around 2006. The Liljeberg forum is deserted since 2006 too, but there is the backup page made available by droopy (if it still exists). Very active members of this community at the time when I joined were some of the people whose names one finds in the member list, above all Narcissus and Anny, and also Sphinx, blond, darkleon, hook, Justme90, styvisor, Spain_1, robinn, arkz1531, Nemo_Me, and, a little later, Kolya. Kyle (RebeckaFan) was also there. Looking back, it seems to me that what broke this community's neck was when, in late 2006, the forum very unexpectedly changed owners (and its URL) overnight, as Sydney abruptly stepped down (for reasons he would never unveil) and OEB took over. Very few of the old gang came back. In 2007, it was practically dead. I checked in every few weeks or so only to find that nothing had happened. That only changed when Ian and fish and Magnus turned up in 2008.

I was a member of the Alexandra forum but that was near the end of its run and i really was the only one posting any new threads and was told politeley to stop posting them :lol:. Thanks Kant, by the way i read you're essay on Fucking Amal a few year back and have to say it was a excellent and in depth read. It's must read for anyone wanting more knowledge on this amazing film. I think also the fact neither Alexandra or Rebecka have go on to mega acting careers, Rebecka basically been finished before she ever started and Alexandra really not getting the roles she's deserved after such an amazing performance, hasn't helped cement those fans either. There's not much you can say about one film without repeating yourself. The forum seems to have a few loyal members but posts on Fucking Amal thread are far and few between. Ian's been doing a amazing job and the few people who do post are great.
Cheevers4ever
Gold Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)