Do you think Fucking Amal has aged well?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: Do you think Fucking Amal has aged well?

Postby Ian » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 am

And About Time just last year.

Now even more of a legend than he already was. *:)* :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:56 am

It's very much of it's time (late 90's) and very ahead of it's time, if you guy's know what I mean.

IT was Ahead Of It's Time

It's no bullshit way of dealing with a Lesbian romance was pretty ahead of it's time even In the late 90's. Its treated as any teenage romance, and isn't looked down upon by Moodysson.
A Happy Ending in a Lesbian film, which was pretty rare back then.
The writing of teenage everyday dialogue is one of the thing's overlooked by many fan's of the film. Plus the use of actually Teenage acting talent instead of 20 somethings. Was ahead of it's time.

IT hasn't aged well

It's fashion, use of mobile phones of the time, dance music, guy's haircuts firmly stick's it in the late 90's. I think that's the only thing that hasn't aged well.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 am

Hey ArcticMonkeys, welcome to the forum. *:)*
Great to read your words.

ArcticMonkeys wrote:...A Happy Ending in a Lesbian film, which was pretty rare back then...

Certainly a big step forward from the days when any gay person in film had to "die" before the film ended.

As for the fashions, etc, of the 90's, we can just about start enjoying them now as a nostalgia trip. :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:56 pm

I must agree with Fish.
It's a very nostalgic film, at least to me who was a teenager at that time, but that
doesn't necessary mean it's outdated, or aged badly.
Fashion and music obviously change over the years, but great films who depicts it's time, are imo timeless.
A lot of classics would be in the "aged badly" category if not.

Oh, welcome to the forum.
I love Arctic Monkeys btw. :wink:
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:05 am

fish wrote:Hey ArcticMonkeys, welcome to the forum. *:)*
Great to read your words.

ArcticMonkeys wrote:...A Happy Ending in a Lesbian film, which was pretty rare back then...

Certainly a big step forward from the days when any gay person in film had to "die" before the film ended.

As for the fashions, etc, of the 90's, we can just about start enjoying them now as a nostalgia trip. :P :lol:

Thank you fish :D hope I can offer some wisdom and wise words on this wonderful forum.

Yeah agreed about seen a happy ending for a gay couple which makes it something special. It's not treated differently to a straight romance and it's so upbeat that you are cheering for Elin and Agnes. Plus Moodysson first two films Tillersmann been the other, have best endings to films I ever seen that put a smile on your face.

Oh the nostalgia trip reminds me of my youth cause I would have been the same age as most of the lads in the film. I was doing the exact same things like meeting girls, drinking and talking crap :). That's why the film has such a woozy feel for me now cause It makes me happy but also sad for my youth. At the time I saw it back in 2000 at half 2 in the morning, it had a massive effect on me.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:10 am

Dahls wrote:I must agree with Fish.
It's a very nostalgic film, at least to me who was a teenager at that time, but that
doesn't necessary mean it's outdated, or aged badly.
Fashion and music obviously change over the years, but great films who depicts it's time, are imo timeless.
A lot of classics would be in the "aged badly" category if not.

Oh, welcome to the forum.
I love Arctic Monkeys btw. :wink:

I don't think it's aged badly myself that it makes it hard for me to watch. It's still a very personal film for me cause it's set around the same time I was a teenager doing those exact same things, I assume you were the same Dahls. I think it has a far deeper impact for people who are the same age as the characters in the film in my view. It's a little bittersweet :D

Ah do you Dahls going to see them for the 8th time in July in Dublin, love them so much. Thanks by the way for the nice welcome :)
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 am

ArcticMonkeys wrote:...I think it has a far deeper impact for people who are the same age...

Probably not much different than for those of us who are older but still have a sensitive soul intact.
I think I identify most with Agnes' father in that respect.

It's all about character development by the author.
They all seem so real, not just people on a screen.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Dahls » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:47 am

ArcticMonkeys wrote: going to see them for the 8th time in July in Dublin

Lucky chap.
Hmmm, never been to Dublin in summer, and haven't seen them live either.
Maybe it's time to start making vacation plans.
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby DMt. » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:35 am

Hey Monkeys!* I've liked what I've heard of the Arctics, excellent kitchen-sink writing, but I don't have any albums yet.
They may not have been around for FA, but they are definitely in one scene of the Pauline Acquart short Au Septieme Jour which is on Vimeo, er, somewhere.

* I should have said a formal hello like everybody else, really, but you were so immediately at home that it seemed a bit redundant. Calling you Monkeys is making me smile, for some daft reason... 8)

I wonder what the actual viewer figures are for FA? I'd bet a good chunk of the West, at least, has seen it by now.

Also I think it will be winning hearts and minds for some considerable time to come, irrespective of passing fashions.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:29 pm

DMt. wrote:Hey Monkeys!* I've liked what I've heard of the Arctics, excellent kitchen-sink writing, but I don't have any albums yet.
They may not have been around for FA, but they are definitely in one scene of the Pauline Acquart short Au Septieme Jour which is on Vimeo, er, somewhere.

* I should have said a formal hello like everybody else, really, but you were so immediately at home that it seemed a bit redundant. Calling you Monkeys is making me smile, for some daft reason... 8)

I wonder what the actual viewer figures are for FA? I'd bet a good chunk of the West, at least, has seen it by now.

Also I think it will be winning hearts and minds for some considerable time to come, irrespective of passing fashions.

Hey DMT :D Oh you must be listening to their early stuff (first two albums are very British style of writing) from the 3rd to the 5th albums (which broke them in America) they've got a more heavier sound and write less Kitchen sink type lyrics although the lyrics are still great. Ah it's fine DMT, call me Monkeys all you like :).

I doubt many people have seen it maybe die hard World Cinema fan's or fan's of Lesbian cinema. It's got a cult that's for sure and has a high rating of 7.8 on imdb so it's doing well, I'm sure anyone who's seen it loves it straight away. My Ex didn't like it but she sucked at films :)

Thanks for the welcome :)
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby johnreynaga » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:21 pm

The movie feels realistic, almost like a movie about someone's actual situation. People will probably still be watching it ten years from now, it's a fantastic film :)

I drew a poster of the movie over 11 years ago, the movie is still one of my favorites, and I don't even watch movies anymore lol

johnreynaga

Postby DMt. » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Hey! Major new piece of FanArt! 8)

Yes, FA is very natural/istic. One of those special cases where the whole cast and crew are evidently all madly in love with the project, like Let The Right One In and Water Lilies/Naissance des Pieuvres, and all three share that hyperreal cinematography, too.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
DMt.
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:01 am

johnreynaga wrote:... People will probably still be watching it ten years from now, it's a fantastic film :)

Given the number of copies of the DVD/Vid I own I'm committed to going on watching it. :oops: :lol:

Hi John. Welcome to the Forum. :W
Love your poster.
A talent for art is a wonderful thing so I hope you find an outlet for it in your everyday life.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm

20 April 2017: Extract from theLocal.se 'Sweden's news in English'

15 movies that will help you discover Sweden: Fucking Åmål/Show Me Love (1998) - Åmål, Västra Götaland

Lukas Moodysson's Show Me Love sheds light on the lives of teenagers in western town Åmål. In an honest depiction of love and expectations in the realm of teenage woes, the film escapes the stereotypes that come with narrating a tumultuous homosexual romance. The movie brings an interesting immersion into a small Swedish town and spares its audience from overused clichés.

To see the rest of the article follow this link >>>> https://www.thelocal.se/20170420/15-movies-that-will-help-you-discover-sweden
snaps
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:12 am

Nice one Snapsie. :D

Just waiting now for a re-release in HD with lots of extras. *:)* :roll: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)