Underrated performances from Fucking Amal

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Underrated performances from Fucking Amal

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Rebecka Liljeberg and Alexandra Dahlström both get the massive acclaim when it comes to FA then and now but a few performances I have to give praise too cause they don't seem to get enough.

The Biggest oversight by many fan's of the film is Eric Carlson as Jessica, Elin's sister. She was for me was every bit as good in this film as the two leads. It's important to know that she's on screen for most of the film and carries most of the more impressive scenes with Alexandra. The sister's talks are some of the big highlights from the film. Pity she's not done much apart from a little TV and some film work. Seems she hasn't done anything since 2010 which is a pity.

Two other performances deserve mention Mathias Rust as Johan, with the little time he's on screen he actually makes you care for Johan. In most films he would have been clichéd asshole but in this he's actually a good guy just used by Elin to try and convince herself she's not in love with Agnes. That break up scene is heartbreaking but played as a bit of black comedy, you laugh but feel for the guy.

Ralph Carlsson as Agnes father, is one of the best onscreen portrayals of a father trying to understand his teenage child ever shown on screen. You see he's a kind hearted man who cares deeply for his hurt daughter and although he say's the wrong things he means well. Again not on screen that much but he makes a massive impression.

What for you guys is the most underrated performance or performances in the film?
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Re: Underrated performances from Fucking Amal

Postby Dahls » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Hmmm, have to think about that one.

Both of Agnes parents give such great key preformances, with the little screentime they have, which is important for understanding Agnes life situation.
And like you said; Erica is maybe the most important character besides the leading girls. She has a wonderful sistely chemistry with Alex.

But, all in all I don't see any of the supporting cast stand out more than another.
They all play their part perfectly. :)
Dahls
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:30 am

Dahls wrote:...They all play their part perfectly. :)

That's it, isn't it?
Obviously a lot of thought and care went into the casting process.

Even poor Stefan Hörberg (RIP), and Lisa Skagerstam as Markus and Camilla were pitch perfect in their roles.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 am

Yes, I think there's a sort of backhanded compliment in the fact that the supporting cast are so entirely believable and authentic in their roles that you almost don't notice them!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 pm

fish wrote:
Dahls wrote:...They all play their part perfectly. :)

That's it, isn't it?
Obviously a lot of thought and care went into the casting process.

Even poor Stefan Hörberg (RIP), and Lisa Skagerstam as Markus and Camilla were pitch perfect in their roles.

Oh you have to give Moodysson and his casting agent a pat on the back for finding such a great cast. I think if the film was a bit darker Horberg and Skagerstam could of bought a little bit of the dark heart to the film but what they have to do they do perfectly.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Dahls wrote:Hmmm, have to think about that one.

Both of Agnes parents give such great key preformances, with the little screentime they have, which is important for understanding Agnes life situation.
And like you said; Erica is maybe the most important character besides the leading girls. She has a wonderful sistely chemistry with Alex.

But, all in all I don't see any of the supporting cast stand out more than another.
They all play their part perfectly. :)

I think I've been a little unfair cause you can't really knock any of the supporting cast, you can't really pick one false note from any of them. I think Moodysson is brilliant at picking his cast for his films, even though some of his films are meh the performances are never.

Even Agnes little brother is a great little performance even the guys who were sitting on the locker who put the naked picture in Agnes locker were funny.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby fish » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:40 am

Not to mention the guy Markus picked the fight with.
(Oops. Didn't mean to mention him.) :oops: :P :lol:

Seriously difficult to do a little fight scene like that.
The guy getting shoved around is the one who has to lead all the choreography.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:33 pm

fish wrote:Not to mention the guy Markus picked the fight with.
(Oops. Didn't mean to mention him.) :oops: :P :lol:

Seriously difficult to do a little fight scene like that.
The guy getting shoved around is the one who has to lead all the choreography.

What about the drunk girl crying on the couch at the party :D , little things like that just get it so perfect. You remember things like that at parties when you were a teenager.
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:46 am

ArcticMonkeys wrote:...You remember things like that at parties when you were a teenager.

And then you drink in your 20's to try and forget them. :cry: :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Ralph Carlsson as Agnes father. It's very sad that of the five nominations in the Guldbagge Awards for 'Fucking Amal', that Ralph was the only one NOT to win a Gold Scarab award for his performance as 'Best Supporting Actor' :T :( *:|*
snaps
Crew Member

Postby ArcticMonkeys » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:01 pm

snaps wrote:Ralph Carlsson as Agnes father. It's very sad that of the five nominations in the Guldbagge Awards for 'Fucking Amal', that Ralph was the only one NOT to win a Gold Scarab award for his performance as 'Best Supporting Actor' :T :( *:|*

Agreed I can't remember such a touching performance of a father who's trying to make his daughter feel better but awkwardly failing but he's at least trying. It's not a big performance but his scenes are wonderful and are the best description of a parent dealing with his teenager. I think him and Agnes have a lot in common ( outcasts in school but who actually get together with the popular girl, seen as Agnes mum was the popular girl) both bookworms, but when you are a teenager saying you have anything in common with your parents is really a no no :D .
ArcticMonkeys
Gold Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)