Alexandra vs Rebecca

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: Alexandra vs Rebecca

Postby Santi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:10 am

I was watching astro and I did it not finish the movie.
I did not like .
I don't like how work this woman in this film.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 am

Santi wrote:I was watching astro...

I guess we should have explained....
Astro was made as a project to publicise Rio de Janeiro and the Rio Arts Festival.
It was logical then that much of the emphasis would be on the festival and on the city itself.
The story was really just background to those things.

We watched all the promotional clips and such that Bossa Nova Films posted on Vimeo and Tatiana from Bossa Nova Films even posted the English sub-titled version when I asked her.

I think it's a cute little story used to brighten up a travelogue, so from that point of view I like it very much.

And Alex is gorgeous. *:)*

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:03 am

Indeed. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:22 pm

beautiful image
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 am

It is curious that every time I see FÅ, I see Bex like star of this movie and Alex the second actress.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:52 am

Perhaps it's because the first part of FÅ paints a picture of Agnes more than Elin that it appears that way, but Alex was chosen for the lead before Bex came onto the scene.
Then they were both just sooo good.

I'm glad they shared the Guldbagge for best lead actress.
It wouldn't have been fair to single one out over the other. *:)* *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:53 am

I think only Bex deserved the " Guldbagge " But they gave both awards because she was the 2nd actress.

I'm sure if she was the 1st actress would only one award to her.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:04 pm

fish wrote:Perhaps it's because the first part of FÅ paints a picture of Agnes more than Elin that it appears that way, but Alex was chosen for the lead before Bex came onto the scene.
Then they were both just sooo good.

I'm glad they shared the Guldbagge for best lead actress.
It wouldn't have been fair to single one out over the other. *:)* *:)*

It's pretty much a film of two halves really, Bex is pretty much the lead of the first half and takes a backseat for Alex for the last 45 minutes. When I first watched the film Bex definitely stands out more imo, she's a natural beauty (that's why I always question no way in real life would she be a outcast, lets be honest) and for me the best stuff of the film (the first 45 minutes) involve her. But the more I watched the film the more Alex's performance in the 2nd half stands out, cause unlike Agnes who's out and proud Elin has a lot more to lose and is definitely questioning herself, that's a tough role especially for a teenage girl which Alex was at the time.

Fucking Amal doesn't work unless Moodysson had the right actresses for the film, in Bex and Alex he struck gold. I'm glad they both won it too, fish. If I had to chose between them though I would probably go for Alex cause her role demanded more from her imo. But you are right it wouldn't have been fair to chose between them.

It's always a shame that Bex and Alex didn't go onto bigger things though.
M83
Gold Member

Postby M83 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:10 pm

fish wrote:
Santi wrote:...What film of Alexandra is better?

None better than Fucking Åmål, but IMdB have a reasonable resumé of what she's done.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0197164/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

We all have different opinions on the relative merits of her films.
Personally I liked Astro and Fröken Sverige above the others but everyone should make up their own minds on this.
Even the short film "Som kärlek fast på riktigt!" (Like Love But For Real) I thought was excellent.

I don't think either Bex (in her short Career) or Alex have ever came close to a film like Fucking Amal. I think Alex gave every bit a good performance in Froken Sverige, although the whole film doesn't quite work. Astro definitely isn't for everybody. Blondie is another film worth a watch, although Alex is given a sadly underwritten role compared to the two other actresses who played her sisters.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:14 am

M83 wrote:...It's always a shame that Bex and Alex didn't go onto bigger things though.

I guess that has a lot to do with the unpredictability of the film industry worldwide.
Bex seemingly had her mind set on a career in medicine from a very early age, and her foray into film was just an entertaining diversion.
Alex has never found a vehicle as good as FÅ since, but given how good FÅ was, that's hardly surprising.
But she's out there trying to make a career in film as a director/actor and who knows, maybe one day she'll make her own masterpiece.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:54 pm

fish wrote:
M83 wrote:...It's always a shame that Bex and Alex didn't go onto bigger things though.

I guess that has a lot to do with the unpredictability of the film industry worldwide.
Bex seemingly had her mind set on a career in medicine from a very early age, and her foray into film was just an entertaining diversion.
Alex has never found a vehicle as good as FÅ since, but given how good FÅ was, that's hardly surprising.
But she's out there trying to make a career in film as a director/actor and who knows, maybe one day she'll make her own masterpiece.

The likes of Noomi Rapace and Oscar winner Alica Vikander both Swedish actresses, prove no matter how small a film industry is in their country if you show enough ambition and talent you can overcome the odds. Vikander even learned another language for her break out role in A Royal Affair. I think with both actresses in FA, Bex as you said was just using the film industry to pay the bills and pass the time until she got her career in medicine going. I just wonder if she was offered a role in a big Hollywood film would she have gone down the medicial road for her career, that's a interesting thought. I think with Alex, I think it was more bad luck and probably waiting too long to get going. I think if she was the same age as Bex at the time of FA success, I have no doubt she would have used her FA fame far better and gone for more adult roles. Then once Alex did hit adulthood she decided just to go travelling and study (nothing wrong with that) with the odd role here or there. I think also as you said how times are you going to get film roles like FA, but still I expected Alex career to still have had a few more full length films and maybe some TV work. I think with the case of Alex is that maybe her time has come and passed with ever getting a major career going. I think maybe a career behind the camera as a director is probably her best choice right now.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:49 am

M83 wrote:...I think maybe a career behind the camera as a director is probably her best choice right now.

I have a feeling that's exactly what she has always wanted too. 8)
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)