Was ABBA the blueprint for SML/FA

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Was ABBA the blueprint for SML/FA

Postby snaps » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Was ABBA the blueprint for FA/SML?

Interested in hearing your observations on this theory. I am not totally convinced. Of course, some may put it in the category of Martians having a ball on the darkside of the Moon. It is worth following through Love them or loathe them, ABBA made a huge impression on the World stage and helped to put Sweden on the map. At one point they outgrossed companies like Volvo and SAAB. Prior to this Sweden in the World mindset was inter-changeable with Switzerland.
ABBA were no spring-chickens nor were they a micro-managed manufactured band. They combined the talents of already established performers, singer-songwriters and record producers. The opportunity? Eurovision Song Contest 1974 which they won via being selected through Melodifestivalen.

The aftermath? A stunning string of Benny and Bjorn crafted 'middle-of-the-road' singles. Undeniably successful high quality production values even if pop mainstream.
Sadly, sometimes life imitates art. Both m/f duo relationships broke down. This was only thinly disguised as ABBA added bitter lyrics like 'Winner Takes It All' to catchy pop music tunes. In the earning of metro-million bucks their personal lives as 'idealised' m/f relationships fell apart. One has to respect their collective integrity. Whilst endorsing the by-products like 'Mamma Mia' and the founding of the ABBA Museum in Stockholm they collectively turned their backs on doubling their wealth with a 40 years on reunion tour.

Back to the theory. Pinch of salt. It is a feminist theory. It supercedes the realities of both ABBA as performers and as people. Broadly-speaking the theory goes that the trauma of the ABBA break-up cut so deep into the ingrained socal psychological wish fulfilment of the Swedish people that they had to unconsciously re-invent a satisfactory romantic solution. ..
Along comes A+E Agnes and Elin in the new 'mythology' of the late 1990's to replace A+A from ABBA as the idealised girl-girl relationship that never happened. Lukasson explored the dynamics of girl-girl in 'We Are The Best'

The theory contends that ABBA was the blueprint for FA/SML. Consciously or unconsciously. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ze2Ie-8Ms
snaps
Crew Member

Re: Was ABBA the blueprint for SML/FA

Postby fish » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 am

snaps wrote:...Broadly-speaking the theory goes that the trauma of the ABBA break-up cut so deep into the ingrained socal psychological wish fulfilment of the Swedish people that they had to unconsciously re-invent a satisfactory romantic solution...

Hmmmm, interesting theory. Image
Not one to which I subscribe, but then again I haven't put much thought into it either.
I guess if we knew what, if any, effect the ABBA breakup had on Lukas the theory might have more credibility.

Like the vid though, and I still like ABBA. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 am

I'm going to take a wild stab and guess...

... no. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:20 pm

in Stockholm there is a large museum about Abba
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Today on the radio they have said that ABBA took those dresses so rare, because some time ago in Sweden, these wearing "clown" clothing deducted Sweden taxes to ABBA.

Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 am

Santi wrote:...wearing "clown" clothing deducted Sweden taxes to ABBA...

I think that if you have enough courage to wear those outfits you ought to be able to claim them as a tax deduction. *:)*

Matter of fact, I had the same opinion of Elton John's outfits but I couldn't find a pic of him and ABBA all dressed up together.

This is as close as I could get. 8)

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:14 pm

snaps must know it this. :Y

By the way, what clothes are you wearing? :roll: :lol:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:11 am

Santi wrote:...what clothes are you wearing? :roll: :lol:

Well, I'm always partial to a cape, but that little red and white outfit..... *:)* *:)* :lol:

Fish
fish
Crew Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)