Total Eclipse of the Heart

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Postby Santi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:52 pm

I have so idealized this movie, so perfect that I can not accept, even if it's true, no change for the better.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm with you on that one Santi. I should've pointed out that I still like it best the way it is. Mostly I was just curios of what it would've been like if one of the other proposed songs for this scene (Total Eclipse of the Heart and You and I) were picked instead.
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 pm

I am impressed with this movie because we have squeezed it like an orange and the years go by and more and more things are appearing. *:)*
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm

And there's always more things to find as long as we're willing to dig for it! :-)
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 am

Eldsjäl wrote:And there's always more things to find as long as we're willing to dig for it! :-)

That's my excuse for having watched it about a million times.
I keep learning/seeing something new.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:21 am

Lukas already saw all that before making the movie or is he also learning? :lol:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Lukas claimed a long time ago that he only have seen the finished film a mere couple of times. In a (fairly) recent radio interview he said that he don't watch his own films nor think that often about them. I think that it's true for a lot of directors that you don't know all the details about what went into making the film since a crew usually contains many people responsible for different aspects of the production. There's surely a lot of simple trivia that he today have forgotten about or never really knew of.

Still, Lukas probably remembers a bunch of really interesting insider stories to this day that we as obsessive fans only can dream of finding out about.

fish wrote:That's my excuse for having watched it about a million times.
I keep learning/seeing something new.

I no longer need an excuse to keep watching it since I've embraced my inner craziness by now. Though I'm still as able as ever to sense shame as I've mentioned here before. ;-)
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:00 am

Eldsjäl wrote:...I've embraced my inner craziness by now...

At last I can justify my life's goals. :T :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:09 am

I did that a long time ago. :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby M83 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Eldsjäl wrote:As some of you probably know Lukas actually had a few different songs in mind before finally going with Foreigners' I Want To Know What Love Is for the famous kissing scene. Very early on he had thought of using Scorpions' You and I when first writing this scene, but then later changed his mind and instead wanted to use Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart. This song turned out to have a really hefty price tag so it just wasn't possible for the crew to include it.

Ever since I heard about this I've always thought that Total Eclipse of the Heart would go really well with the moment Elin and Agnes kisses each other inside the car. With that being said I've now taken it upon myself to edit in Bonnie Tyler in order to get a feel of what might could have been.

Edit: New link https://youtu.be/Eh_BYMQVs3M

If I were to spend weeks on this I could edit out Foreigner more elegantly but right now I don't feel like doing that. You could see this as a first draft maybe. Perhaps I'll make another one with Scorpions later. Edit: Done! https://youtu.be/VBeoqsTS9Oo

What do you think? Would it have been better if we had got Bonnie Tyler in FÅ instead of Foreigner? :-)

You and I would have been a better choice instead of Total Eclipse of the Heart, but I can't imagine that scene without I Want to Know What Love Is. I love that in most film's that song would have been something cool and hip from a hip indie band from the 90's. But Moodysson chose a 80's rock ballad, and it works so well. I think Broder Daniel songs and Foreigner song are must for that soundtrack, also Robyn's Show Me Love is a great ending song. Not a fan of the dance music from the film, it ages the film a bit. But I think the scene would have worked as well with Scorpion's song as well.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:52 am

M83 wrote:...it ages the film a bit...

There's a 75 year old black and white film which makes an appearance on TV every now and then.
So out of date in music, fashions, attitudes and whatever that you wonder what anyone ever saw in it.

Then, the more you see it, the better it gets.

If you haven't ever seen it, keep your eye out for "Casablanca".

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry about things aging in a film.
Just accept it as part of the glorious history of the world. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am

Agreed. I've never really understood that. Who cares?
Ian
Webmaster

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)