The Fucking Åmål week in Åmål 23-27 Oct

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Re: The Fucking Åmål week in Åmål 23-27 Oct

Postby Eldsjäl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am

I will ask them but I don't think they've planned to sell this stuff online. I could buy these things for you and then send them myself otherwise, should I do that in case they tell me that they won't sell them online?
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:17 am

Well, I would love one of the bags.
And a T-shirt is tempting too.
Thank you so much for the offer.

But I will need to reimburse you for all the costs involved.

I think I'll send you a PM so we can work out all the gritty details and such.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby ravel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:17 am

At the hotel they had the Wednesday issue of the local newspaper but it didn't have an article - probably because the event was in the evening yesterday. Tomorrow I will leave before I'd get the chance to check out the newspapers. Maybe Eldsjäl can check them out? Obviously there will be stories online... :W

I really like to be here and it was great to attend yesterday's "åter-premiär". It was rather small, as I expected, but with lots of people interested in the film. I met Eldsjäl who was really nice and also answered some journalists' questions with me. We saw actual physical calendars there! I hope I didn't say anything too stupid in interviews, but it was nice to say something. :-D We were even invited to the stage with Ralph Carlsson to answer a couple of questions!

Even though I'm not really fluent in Swedish, Ralph Carlsson was easy to follow. He told funny and interesting stories related to the film, about encounters with random people and so on, and the way he spoke and gestured helped me to understand a lot (maybe as a trained actor, he is very clear in his expression). There was also a panel of three former city representatives who spoke about the shock when they found out there is going to be a film about their own town, named "Fucking Åmål". :D Sadly everything was an all-male-panel but otherwise it was very interesting.

And it was also nice to see the film once again, this time in a digitally restored version (or something) which had sharper picture but otherwise no surprises.

Today I'll rest and do some sight-seeing in the lovely Åmål. I'll leave tomorrow morning so I'll miss tomorrow's concert.
ravel

Postby Ian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:07 am

Cool stuff. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Eldsjäl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 pm

ravel wrote:I met Eldsjäl who was really nice

It was nice meeting you as well! :-)

ravel wrote:We saw actual physical calendars there!

Yes that was something, Santi's calendars stood proudly presented on the counter beside the cash register.

ravel wrote:It was rather small, as I expected

They purposely made the overall feel of the arrangement reminiscent to that of Agnes' birthday party. That's how I look at it. ;-) I enjoyed it still! Ralph was the highlight of the day. The most bizarre thing happened to me this morning – I was going to eat breakfast at the hotel and Ralph was sitting at the restaurant completely alone, so I sat down with him and talked for awhile. I would never have thought that this would happen!

Now to the important stuff. These two photos were taken at Lyckostigen, the street name that's written on Agnes invitational cards. I will probably go back to this street and take some more photos if I get the time (aggravating the locals with my suspicious activities).

This is by far the most Agnes-like building at Lyckostigen:

This is at the end of the road, Lyckostigen does not go all the way to the number 13 like in the film, ending at 5:
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:01 am

I am very happy about how you spent those two days. You have been our eyes and ears.
We have enjoyed all very much. *:)*

How lucky to be able to talk to Ralph this way. Well, you must tell us something that he said. 8)

Can we see or read the interviews?

Street images of Agnes, Tak.

and I am very happy that my calendars liked them. *:)* *:)* *:)*
Last edited by Santi on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:04 am

Well said Santi. :Y

I would have loved to have been there, but the next best thing is that Eldsjäl and Ravel were there to be our eyes and ears.
I'm sure we've all enjoyed your reports and the images and the links, oh, and just everything.
It's been brilliant.

I would love there to be much more to come as you get a chance to reflect on the experience.

Love to hear more about meeting and talking to Ralph Carlsson also.

Glad you got to meet each other too.
Such things don't always go well but I guess it just shows how nice we all are. :P :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:53 pm

I hope that the rest of the stars of the movie appear on the weekend :roll:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 am

Santi wrote:I hope that the rest of the stars of the movie appear on the weekend

Rest assured that this will not happen. ;-) Certainly not here in Åmål at least!

One quick thought about Kungsgatan where the hotel stands, Åmål's main street if you will; you'll see plenty of old people walking around and every once in a while some “big cruiser” drives by playing really loud music (just like in the film when we get to see the teens hang out at the town centre).

Some more photos of Lyckostigen:

Up on the hill:

This is about the closest thing we get to a footbridge being anywhere near Lyckostigen. It crosses the railway as well as a road. On the other side you mostly have the industrial area but some residents are scattered there as well. Sadly I could not find a suitable dull-looking apartment building there where Elin could've lived. Still, all this falls a little short as the only school in Åmål they could've gone to would be Kristinebergsskolan and that's like the other side of town. Not that we know for sure how far from school they live.

Åmål's industry museum:

More about that concert in a bit! Will have to get some sleep first.
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:12 am

Eldsjäl wrote:...Will have to get some sleep first.

Loving what you've shown us to date. :D

It's amazing how we've managed to mythologise this small town when, apart from the name, it takes no part in the film.
Still, it looks like a very pretty place and maybe I should visit it for the 50th anniversary. :shock: :T :lol:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 am

Alright so Augustifamiljen preformed an arrangement of songs from the Fucking Åmål soundtrack yesterday at Kulturmagasinet (formerly the town's old church).

Took some photos of the building earlier in the day:

Unlike this weeks screenings of FÅ this was almost fully seated. Augustifamiljen has appeared on TV and stuff in the recent years so they probably attract the locals to a higher extent. The playlist did not only contain FÅ music as you'll see, I brought with me one of the pamphlets:

One thing I thought was kind of funny was that they indeed chose to include ‘Fantasi för elorgel #34’ (just random keystrokes on an electric organ that you hear during Christian's house party). I actually joked with Ravel that they would do that one. They just put a phone up next to a microphone and played it as part of an artsy introduction. It didn't take more than one minute but it's still hard to think that this was on the list but not Robyn's ‘Show Me Love’ that's like a key song for the film for example.

It's also worth mentioning that one of the performers in this group was Daniel Gilbert who used to be a member of Broder Daniel. So it was kind of to be expected that they would preform a lot of their songs, even those that aren't in FÅ. One additional Broder Daniel song was preformed as a bonus number at the end.

Being a huge fan of the dance music in the film (Betty N' Boop, Evelyn, Waldo's People, Combayah) I couldn't help but to feel a little bit of disappointment but as I said to Ravel I really wasn't expecting any of those to be played. Today's people in the show business really seem to frown upon that kind of music for some reason.

All complaining aside Augustifamiljen were still some good performers and it sure was nice to hear ‘Whirlwind’ and ‘I'll Be Gone’. It was very enjoyable! I made this recording so that you can get a feel of what it was like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo1HJlDUaJw
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Soon they'll have a “Fucking Afterwork” here at the hotel. I'm intrigued to check it out as it's shown on the schedule for the FÅ Week. However I'm worried that I'll just sit there alone near a bunch of drunk Åmål people and that things will get really awkward.
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Eldsjäl wrote:Soon they'll have a “Fucking Afterwork” here at the hotel. I'm intrigued to check it out as it's shown on the schedule for the FÅ Week. However I'm worried that I'll just sit there alone near a bunch of drunk Åmål people and that things will get really awkward.

Overall not worth my time.

I'll soon be heading towards Kupén to participate in that FÅ quiz! I sincerely hope that it will be trivia questions related to the film and nothing else. Then I'm gonna make you guys proud! ;-)
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:20 pm

I think it will be interesting and you will meet someone who knows as much as you do, and then exchange with him some time. *:)*

(Please inscribe him to the forum!). :Y

I would have liked to also know the hidden things that are never said. 8)

-> Thanks a lot for all information in these images. WOW! *:)* _O_

What a good wheather you have had.
I went with rain and everything closed. :cry:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Eldsjäl wrote:Sadly I could not find a suitable dull-looking apartment building there where Elin could've lived.

May be....
There are some buildings in Amal that are the same as those of Elin's home in Trollhattan.
They are recognized because they have blue color on the floor above. In Amal, streets Järngatan, Bergsgatan :wink:
Santi
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)