Collecting FÅ/SML stuff

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Collecting FÅ/SML stuff

Postby Eldsjäl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 am

Thought I’d create a thread like this where we can openly discuss anything about the joy of collecting needless junk (Or important memorabilia for one of the most important films ever, depending on how you look at it!).

I saw the Australian SML DVD on Ebay the other day which I’d certainly like to obtain in some way, the only problem being that the seller don’t ship overseas. Could any of you Aussies out there perhaps help me out on this one? O:-)
Whatever. We'll go there and burn the house down. Come on. Please...
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Re: Collecting FÅ/SML stuff

Postby fish » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 am

My whole house is full of junk... oops, collectibles. :oops: :lol:

Eldsjäl wrote:...Could any of you Aussies out there perhaps help me out on this one?

Where did you find it?
Do you have a link?
I've seen a few "Region 4" DVD's but most seem identical to the "Region 2" European one.

I didn't know there was a specific Aussie DVD but I'll do what's needed for you to get it if it's possible.
PM me the link and I'll have a look.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks a lot for your willingness to help! :-) I’ve sent you a PM.

As we discussed last year when I first registered here, this DVD (which I believe you mentioned that you had a copy of) has a region 4 protection on it, the cover shows the Australian rating system, and it’s published by the Australian company Madman. It could’ve been distributed in places like New Zealand as well but I’ll go as far as to call it an Australian version. Small things like the menus are unique to this DVD.
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:04 am

Eldsjäl wrote:...Small things like the menus are unique to this DVD.

I lose track I'm afraid.
I have three DVD's, plus a copy saved on my TV's hard drive, plus another saved on my PC from the net.
They all have different English subtitles and to be honest I'm not that happy with any of them.
Some are "dumbed down" which is very annoying, and others look like they've been translated by someone who doesn't speak English (or Swedish).
Still they all have some good points.
When you eventually get this one I hope it satisfies those needs. *:)*
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:19 am

I never see the DVD in JB anymore. :(
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Eldsjäl » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:45 pm

It was released back in 2006 so I guess most retailers have cleared them out by now.
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:51 am

Ian wrote:I never see the DVD...

JB are probably just hoarding them away in case I get the impulse to buy a few more. *:)* :roll: :lol:

Oh Eldsjäl, did you finish up buying that Aus DVD? :?:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:13 pm

fish wrote:Oh Eldsjäl, did you finish up buying that Aus DVD?

I did! Should arrive in a week or two. :-)

Realized that I haven’t shown you guys what I recently got a hold of! Namely, a Swedish FÅ VHS case with Lukas Moodysson’s autograph on it! I did not get it myself but bought it from a guy who met him back in the year 2000 (or 2001 maybe). Not the best looking autograph you could get perhaps, but I certainly don’t think it’s very common to find items that are signed by him given how private he is. Haven’t personally stumbled across any before at least. I’m thinking that I should take the cover out from the plastic case and get a proper frame for it. :-)

Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby fish » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 am

Eldsjäl wrote:...I did!..

Very pleased about that.
Let me know if there are any issues and I'll do what I can to help out.

Eldsjäl wrote:...I’m thinking that I should take the cover out from the plastic case and get a proper frame for it. :-)

I think that's what I'd do too.
That's a real collectors item. :D
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby Santi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:39 am

This will end up in a "Elsjal Museum". :roll:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Awesome to see the video signed by the great Moodysson. I have the old Vhs from Momentum Pictures World Cinema Collection, used to collect all their videos when they released them. They had a good collection of World Cinema. I was over the moon when they released FA on their collection. I also have the film on DVD with the Lukas Moodysson box set they released back in 2011/12 I think. That's all I got. Also have the tape my brother recorded the film from TV on too.
M83
Gold Member

Postby Eldsjäl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Santi wrote:This will end up in a "Elsjal Museum".

Now wouldn’t that be nice? Though I can’t possibly imagine that any sane person would visit a place like that.

Imagine all the junk I’ll gather up during my lifetime. Some relatives will have to deal with getting rid of it all after inheriting my stuff. It will just be utter garbage in their eyes. Thankfully I’ll not live to see that. ;-)

M83 wrote:Also have the tape my brother recorded the film from TV on too.

That’s pretty cool! Taped from some Irish TV channel then?
Eldsjäl
Gold Member

Postby M83 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Eldsjäl wrote:
M83 wrote:Also have the tape my brother recorded the film from TV on too.

That’s pretty cool! Taped from some Irish TV channel then?

Yeah, the only time it's been shown here on Irish TV anyway, the only other time I've seen it since is on UK tv on the old defunct BBC 3 when they gave up a Saturday night to show World cinema, I remembered they premiered Moodysson's Together before FA. On Irish TV, It was shown at like 3 in the morning on a Saturday. Another film was shown that night that my brother taped before it (It was a coming of age Lesbian themed night) a 1997 called All Over Me, well worth checking out if you can. Not a patch on FA, but has the same themes as FA not just cause it's about two girls in love. The main character is a bit like Agnes, a loner type and in love with the popular blonde friend, but the Blonde friend is bit more of a bitch to her and only uses her. So smart booking of the two films really as they had a lot in common. Although All Over Me is a bit more downbeat then FA.

I kept both films cause both were hard to come by, I then got FA on tape but still kept it cause All Over Me still hasn't got a DVD release.
M83
Gold Member

Postby fish » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:35 am

Eldsjäl wrote:...sane person...

Plenty of scope for all of us on the Forum to visit though. :T *:)* :P :lol:

M83 wrote:...All Over Me still hasn't got a DVD release...

I bought a copy of the DVD years ago on Ebay.
Diva Films
A Sichel Sisters film

Haven't seen it for ages and I can't remember much about it, but it's still on Ebay if you're still interested in buying one.
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby M83 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:34 pm

fish wrote:
M83 wrote:...All Over Me still hasn't got a DVD release...

I bought a copy of the DVD years ago on Ebay.
Diva Films
A Sichel Sisters film

Haven't seen it for ages and I can't remember much about it, but it's still on Ebay if you're still interested in buying one.

Thanks, might take a look at that. Not a great film, but has it's charms. It's a bit like Water Lilies, a darker take on coming of age tale with two girls. While FA is more a lighter take on it, All over Me is definitely a darker one. At least the main character in All Over Me gets a happy ending.
M83
Gold Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)