Fúcking Åmål Discord server

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Fúcking Åmål Discord server

Postby b1_ » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:18 am

I have created a Discord server to discuss Fúcking Åmål and related subjects. It's brand new, and I'm still formulating the rules, deciding on what channels to add, etc. Please make suggestions.

Here is the invite address: https://discord.gg/H94RQnBc

I think despite the age of this movie and the waning interest in it, whenever someone does rewatch it the desire to talk about it afterwards is still very strong. Hence I think a Discord server would be a great way to do that (basically it looks like Discord servers are where online discussion is heading, replacing the forums of old). One advantage of a Discord server is scheduling live screenings and watching the movie live as a group.

Fúcking Åmål is such a gem of a movie I think it's worth having a place for live discussion into the future.

(Also, this server is just an experiment of mine - if anyone knows of an existing Discord server on the same subject or similar, post it here.)
b1_

Re: Fúcking Åmål Discord server

Postby Ian » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:14 am

I'm not really into Discord myself. Someone invited me on to another one a few weeks back, and I'm afraid I found the whole setup borderline incomprehensible.
Call me a luddite, but I prefer a nice forum. *:)* :P
Ian
Webmaster

Postby b1_ » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:08 pm

I didn't really get it for a while either. Then I discovered there's a Discord server for just about any subject I was interested in, populated by people 24hrs a day, that I could ask questions of and interact with in real time. And it's got a few more tools to connect with people besides the text and images of a forum, like voice chat and screen sharing, all free, all very easy to use. So I started to use it more and "get it" more.

A forum combined with a Discord server works fine also.

I think you could use it to virtually attend anniversary events of Fúcking Åmål, for example, if you could get a camera into the venue. Everyone "attending" would then sign into a Discord channel to chat and watch a streamed feed.

Discord is just a forum with more tools to connect with other people.

I think the advantage of a forum over a discord server is that it's easier to see old content in a forum, and go back through years of discussions. Although I think Discord has an archive feature.
b1_

Postby Santi » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 am

This forum are lot of things too.

Is a big database in which one can find almost everything about this film, facts and comments and opinions where everything is recorded and is well arranged to find what you want easily, nothing is lost.

To Chat, I think as you write you lose in time what you wrote.
Here are people from all over the world with different schedules. I live in Europe and my best forum friends in Australia, we will never meet in the chat at same time.
Santi
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 am

Beautifully put, Santi. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Santi » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:53 pm

Thank you Master :wink:
Santi
Crew Member

Postby fish » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:07 am

Ian wrote:...Call me a luddite, but I prefer a nice forum...

I can't believe it, twice in the same decade, but I agree with Ian. :shock:
Fish
fish
Crew Member

Postby b1_ » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:59 am

I would like to test out screening Fúcking Åmål at some point in the near future on the Discord Server, with chat enabled, just to see if it works, to begin with at least. Any takers? I would need to know how it performs for people around the world where ever they are.

Process to screen is:
1. start up your movie on your computer
2. enter any voice channel on the discord server
3. hit "screen" button (bottom left next to your avatar)
4. Select your video from the choices in Discords "Screen Share" pop-up dialogue
5. Select video settings (720p is max?, to stream at 1080p you need Nitro)
b1_

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)