chocolate milk, mopeds and A-drains

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby simon » Fri May 23, 2003 2:14 pm

Peter, MSant and marjaBI,
thanks for opinions and answers, I am still a little confused, but the regional/ city thing makes sense. As it does over here. I guess the difference is that in Aus regional can mean 'thousands' of miles/kilometres, but in Sweden or Finland 'regional' probably has different connotations.
I can't wait to visit Europe in coming years, ( when I finish my degree ).

there is a saying in english that " familiarity breeds contempt", ie. knowing ones' environment on a day to day basis leads to boredome with it. But I can't wait to get over there!

much thanks again for input, simon. :)
simon

Postby musicluver990 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:53 am

Well I've grown up with different cultures. German, Croatian, and American. (And I've lived in all 3 countries, we currently live in the state of Ohio in America) I guess ti just depends where you live. In my opinion, most Americans are filthy creatures with no morals, but that's just me lol. What Johan rides would be a moped over here. And um, that's it I think
<i>The only one I love, she was a superstar.</i>
musicluver990
Faithfull Member

Postby kvaks » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:05 pm

simon wrote:In an interview with Rebecka she describes the "O'boy" scene as being her favourite of the film.
"O'boy?" Apparently its a brand of chocolate milk powder sold in Sweden. In Australia it's equivilent would be "Milo". eg. "would you like a glass of Milo?" ( would you like a glass of chocolate milk? )
Any more info on O'boy?

In Australia a "moped" is a scooter ( anything like a Vespa ). The bike Johan rides - and Elin refers to as a moped - would be called a trail-bike, or a dirt-bike over here. Is Elin being sarcastic in describing Johans trail-bike as a moped because it has a small engine? Or is the terminology different?

As far as I can tell A-drains seem to have some sort of superstitious quality attached to them ( for children only? ). Is it like not stepping on cracks in the pavement over here? Any info would be great :unsure:

O'boy is a brand of chocolate milk sold in Scandinavia. It's a household name, and often chocolate milk is referred to as "O'boy" even if it's a different brand. At least it used to when I was younger.

"Moped" is used for all small engine motorcycles, so both scooters and Johan's bike would be called mopeds. The way Johan rides that bike is very "typical" of a lot of scandinavian teenage boys. Very funny indeed. :)

(In fact, I read that Mathias Rust (the actor) had been riding a similar moped to the audition, and Lukas and the casting people had instantly recognized him as "perfect!" :)

The A-drain thing is just something that Elin and Jessica have made up between them. I have never heard of others playing that "game". I think it's just used as an example of similar silly "games" that youths will play.

There are very much in Fucking Åmål that is ultra-typical of scandinavian teenage culture. There are a lot of this stuff in the movie that people from other countries don't pick up, I think. I mean, take the party scene. It's just so spot-on that the recognition factor makes it extremly funny.

Edit: last paragraph
Last edited by kvaks on Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kvaks

Postby musicluver990 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:51 am

Yeah "O'boy" would be Nesquick over here in America. At home I call it Nesquick even when it isn't.
<i>The only one I love, she was a superstar.</i>
musicluver990
Faithfull Member

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)