chocolate milk, mopeds and A-drains

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby simon » Mon May 19, 2003 4:29 pm

In an interview with Rebecka she describes the "O'boy" scene as being her favourite of the film.
"O'boy?" Apparently its a brand of chocolate milk powder sold in Sweden. In Australia it's equivilent would be "Milo". eg. "would you like a glass of Milo?" ( would you like a glass of chocolate milk? )
Any more info on O'boy?

In Australia a "moped" is a scooter ( anything like a Vespa ). The bike Johan rides - and Elin refers to as a moped - would be called a trail-bike, or a dirt-bike over here. Is Elin being sarcastic in describing Johans trail-bike as a moped because it has a small engine? Or is the terminology different?

As far as I can tell A-drains seem to have some sort of superstitious quality attached to them ( for children only? ). Is it like not stepping on cracks in the pavement over here? Any info would be great :unsure:
simon

Postby MSandt » Mon May 19, 2003 4:38 pm

Well O'Boy is a chocolate milk brand of course. We have it here in Finland as well.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby PueRiL » Mon May 19, 2003 8:20 pm

simon wrote:Any more info on O'boy?

Is Elin being sarcastic in describing Johans trail-bike as a moped because it has a small engine?

O'Boy is like Nesquick. Choclate milk, as u said. :)

No, I don't think she is being sarcastic. Maybe she's just not very found of mopeds :)
I've been asking myself why you didn't look my way...
PueRiL

Postby MSandt » Mon May 19, 2003 11:05 pm

I think she was referring to Johan's age - At least in here those who use bikes are between 12-15 so Johan is too old to ride a bike.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby simon » Tue May 20, 2003 12:36 pm

MSandt wrote: I think she was referring to Johan's age - At least in here those who use bikes are between 12-15 so Johan is too old to ride a bike.

In Australia you have to be at least 18 and have a motorbike licence to ride ANY (motorised) bike. RU saying that bike riding is legal at age 13? Certainly over here a 16 YO with a trail bike would have some credibility.
nb. one can ride/drive on ones OWN property without a licence - although this is very rare ( only in farm/rural communities ).
Is still a mystery.

The Australian subtitles refer to O'boy only as "chocolate milk" eg. The final line of the film is translated as : " ...it makes too much chocolate milk. But that doesn't matter." A subtle difference, but still important in context.

thanks for input. :)
simon

Postby MSandt » Tue May 20, 2003 4:34 pm

Those who were born before 1985 don't need a license to ride smaller bikes. So junior-high students (age around 12-15) can ride bikes IF they were born before 1985. For example when I was in junior-high four years ago my friends, who were around 12-15, had bikes. Those who were born after 1985 need a license but they don't have to be 18.

So if you're above 15 and you have a bike people will consider such thing quite childish. At least in here. And I'm talking about smaller bikes - like the one Johan has.

I'm not very familiar with Swedish legislation but I doubt it's much different there than here in Finland.
Last edited by MSandt on Tue May 20, 2003 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby simon » Wed May 21, 2003 9:48 am

MSandt,
thanks again for feedback. there would be a lot of jealous kids over here if they knew that!

Still seeking info on 'A-drains', can anyone help?
simon

Postby MSandt » Wed May 21, 2003 1:36 pm

Following is copied from <a href='http://kvernan.com/kp/en/film0028.html:' target='_blank'>http://kvernan.com/kp/en/film0028.html</a>

">I guess not everyone understands the scene where Jessica and Elin are discussing over two manhole covers. It's nearly self-describing, but all the same... It's a special «superstition» in Sweden that it's bad luck to stand on an A-lock (abortion, anal (rectal) sex, unemployed («arbeidsløs» and so on), while it means happiness to stand on a K-lock (Love («Kjärlek»). Some of the point is gone when you translate to English, though.<"
Last edited by MSandt on Wed May 21, 2003 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby marjaBI » Wed May 21, 2003 3:09 pm

;) bike's and things...well...Msandt is using word HERE when he means in Finland...well on countrysde it's more usual to use those bike's little longer than usual :D (btw...I LOVE motorcycle's and stuff like that, I guess Im always need for something hard tough between my legs hahaha) AND to be such a hairsplitter driving bike's aged under 15 is illegal...so...according to you Msandt ridiing bike's is childish, when It's legal...hmm...!!! :blink:

It's not important no no...but in the movie yes...I can see the point, why Elin didn't like the fact of the boys with a moped aged sixteen! (In our senior high no one used mopeds anymore)...but...well...all Im saying that in cities things are so much different than here in these small villages....

Ms- no fence at all....ok?
<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><b>let me take you to heaven, babe</b></span></span></span>
marjaBI

Postby MSandt » Wed May 21, 2003 4:05 pm

Uh yeah yeah the age was 15. Yeah I only remembered that it was during junior-high when my friends used to ride with bikes - didn't pay much attention to age - You didn't need a license so... But it's still junior-high students from 8th & 9th grades so it's pretty childish among high-school students for example. People buy a bike and use it for a year and then sell it. Waste of money.
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby marjaBI » Wed May 21, 2003 11:13 pm

:huh: yeah Msandt! waste of money? well...kind of yeah..but most of use sold those things right after junior high and got pretty good money from it too...so...but my main point the vision of life is SOOOOO different, when it comes to cityboys and countryrednex :blink:

well...yeah...enough said about this for now I guess :ph34r:

-Scuubadooo among other things...and wet dreams, as usual ;)

Marja
<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><b>let me take you to heaven, babe</b></span></span></span>
marjaBI

Postby MSandt » Wed May 21, 2003 11:30 pm

Wet dreams?:blink: Show me some male who wants to have wet dreams B)
MSandt
Faithfull Member

Postby marjaBI » Wed May 21, 2003 11:35 pm

dude ;) if you'd had opportunity to have those WET WET WET dreams, you'd know WHAT you are missing hehe :lol: hmm...correct me if Im wrong (I deeply doubt that but anyway) you'll get some other "reactions" as well as a male thing....

:blink:

Marja
marjaBI

Postby Peter » Thu May 22, 2003 2:19 pm

OK, here are some more info about mopeds, if you're interested. :)

In Sweden, the word moped doesn't tell anything about the style of the motorbike (scooter or trailbike), it's just a technical definition of a motorbike with a 50 cc engine with an output of maximum 1 kW, and a top speed of 30 kmph (about 20 mph). You are allowed to drive a moped from the day you turn 15, without a drivers license. You must wear a helmet though, and you must have a traffic insurance for the moped. Mopeds are generally quite popular among 15 year old boys (and some girls) in the countryside and in small towns like Åmål. But, as has already been said in this topic, the day you turn 16 the moped doesn't impress anyone anymore! If you are a boy and you still drive a moped when you are 16 or 17 you could apparently be considered as a jerk by some girls (like Elin!).

What you can do to impress girls if you are a 16 year old boy, is to get yourself a "light" motorbike. This motorbike has a 125 cc engine and a maximum output of 11 kW and can be driven as fast as you like (within normal road speed limits of course!). To drive a light motorbike you must be 16 years old and have a drivers license.

Actually, the last few years (after Fucking Åmål was shot) new EU-regulations has classified the mopeds in two categories: Class 1-mopeds with a top speed of 45 kmph and Class 2-mopeds with a top speed of 25 kmph. To drive a Class 1-moped you need a drivers license (a theoretical test only) and you must be 15 years old. To drive a Class 2-moped you don't need a drivers license but you must be 15 years old.
Peter

Postby marjaBI » Thu May 22, 2003 2:45 pm

heya

pretty much same thing here in Finland too :D

I know I always melt down when I see motorbike's the bigger- the better...hmm...really nice...you know hot summer, light clothing, smell of leather and gasoline...make's me want things....or somthing hehehe..well...that's about it. Nothing more... :lol:
marjaBI

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)