Did Elin know Agnes before?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby emp » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:12 pm

...or was her question in the school lunchroom "Which Agnes?" true? She didn't even look at her in that lunchroom, so how come later in the evening, she suggests to go to her party? And how does she know where she lives?
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happend".<br>"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that was given to us."
emp
Faithfull Member

Postby kvaks » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:51 pm

emp wrote:...or was her question in the school lunchroom "Which Agnes?" true? She didn't even look at her in that lunchroom, so how come later in the evening, she suggests to go to her party? And how does she know where she lives?

She probably knew who Agnes was, but maybe not well enough to immediately understand who "Agnes is having a party" refers to.

But, if my Swedish isn't all wrong, "Va då Agnes?" doesn't necessarily mean "Which Agnes?". It could also mean something to the effect of "What are you talking about? Agnes having a party? I didn't hear of this before." That probably sounds stupid, but maybe you understand...

Anyway, even if she only barely knew who Agnes was, it's still not unlikely that she'd know where she lived. The reason she suggested going to Agnes' party was that she didn't want to the other party (because she's told that Johan Hult has a crush on her :) ).
kvaks

Postby ioana » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:59 pm

Did Elin knew Agnes before? Yes, maybe in her former life!
(ok just joking :D )
ioana
Faithfull Member

Postby Narcissus » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:57 pm

whats the point of reviving a topic thats been dead since last year?
Name: Will
D.O.B: 22/03/88
Sexuality: Bisexual
http://myspace.com/willthepom
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby ioana » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:03 pm

I didn't noticed
ioana
Faithfull Member

Postby robinn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:02 pm

Narcissus wrote:whats the point of reviving a topic thats been dead since last year?

oh don't be such a :idea:

we all get bored sometimes, don't we :wink:
robinn
Silver Member

Postby Nemo_Me » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:38 pm

I think she didn't really know who Agnes is, maybe she had seen her in school sometimes and when Camilla screamed at her in the lunchroom she went like 'oh so her name is Agnes'.
And I don't know if they do it in Sweden to but here we get a book in the begining of every school year, with the names of all the kids in 8th, 9th and 10th, their phononumbers and addresses. So who knows. Maybe Elin looked it up in one of those.
Meaning of Nemo. Nemo is a latin word and means nobody. And therefor I will be Nemo forevermore.
I'm an angel, angel of the universe, who doesn't belong.
I keep on hearing tunes, yet no one has turned on the radio.
Nemo_Me
Faithfull Member

Postby Jari84 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:04 am

Elin knows where Agnes lives because off the invitation that a friend (I don't know the name) of Elin took from Agnes.
That's what I think about it :p
Jari84

Postby Kolya » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Isn't Agnes a rather common name in Sweden?
"Which Agnes?" could just mean: "Which of the 24 Agnes we have?"
Also it's a small town and Elin is a curious one. She knows that Agnes came from another town too. Might have gossipped with Jessica about her earlier who seems to be generally well informed.

Oh, btw I lately learned that Elin is the Swedish form of Helen. Probably everyone knew that already but it was new to me.
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:30 pm

With "Va då Agnes?" Elin means "What do you mean? Agnes?".

Of course she knew of Agnes briefly before, but maybe not her name, and the scene in the school cafeteria works perfectly, it wouldn't have worked if Elin looked at Agnes at that moment.

Agnes address comes from either the birthday card or the school catalogue, so there's no problem there :wink:

Image Image
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Max Lynx » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:44 am

When she said ''who's Agnes'' it was a saying for ignoring her-showing she didn't worth even a look or mention.She knew her but didn't wanted even to admit she knew her.

So when she was disappointed from the party outcome she suggested something different apparently for fun firstly and then about curiosity.
Max Lynx
Faithfull Member

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:04 am

Nah, I don't get that from it. I don't think Elin knew Agnes from Adam, really, and, given that they're in different years, why would she, really?
Ian
Webmaster

Postby mpox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:16 pm

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Of course she knew of Agnes briefly before, but maybe not her name, and the scene in the school cafeteria works perfectly, it wouldn't have worked if Elin looked at Agnes at that moment.

I kind of think she did know vaguely who she was and maybe even her reputation (after all Jessica did) and that was why she proposed going to her party. Of course Elin wouldn't know anything else about Agnes and that the party wouldn't be an actual party, she would just have thought it'd be different from the usual scene that bored her.
mpox
Gold Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)