I did not like the movie

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby Wouter » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:10 pm

Yes you all have a obsesion about this movie??? :S i dont like this movie..but we had to see it with religion lessons and make some moviething about it so thats why i am here now
Wouter

Postby sydney » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:29 pm

I moved this entry from the guestbook to this topic to comment on this. I ask myself if it is a good thing to show this movie during religion or society classes at school. I think that is very usefull, but does not work with people who are not open to the subject. I think that in many cases this movie will be appreciated after reaching a certain age. Some people are already open to the subject on a relatively young age. What about you? Do you think it is a good thing to show this movie at school and everyone has to see it? Second... when (at what age) did you see this movie and became really interested in the subject?
sydney

Postby kant1781 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:54 am

I really don't think that openness to the subject is a question of neither young nor old age... :D I was already 27 when I first watched it and never had the feeling that its message was restricted to a certain age group!

I'd say that as soon as you're old enough to know how it feels to be in love, you're old enough to learn and understand that (1) being in love with the wrong kind of person can be the toughest thing you ever had to go through while (2) not being loved by the right kind of person can be the hardest. In both cases, you're old enough for FÅ.

Still, I wouldn't show FÅ in classes, but for the rather general reason that you already mentioned, Sydney: It is a rather well-known fact that the best way to totally ruin and spoil a film for someone is to force him/her to watch and talk about it in front of teachers and classmates. (This applies to books, too). Chances are that you will not allow yourself to open up to it because you think that you have to find it terrible just because your teacher chose it, or because the wrong kind of people from your class seem to like it, or because you have a reputation to lose as a tough guy, or whatever... Whenever I read one of the few really slanderous negative reviews of FÅ that are out there, I get the feeling that something like this must be the reason.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Narcissus » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:47 pm

Kant...you took the words right out of my mouth B)
Name: Will
D.O.B: 22/03/88
Sexuality: Bisexual
http://myspace.com/willthepom
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:54 pm

Narcissus wrote:you took the words right out of my mouth

aahh, ... so that's where they came from! To be honest, I wondered why they were so f...cking brilliant! :P
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby sydney » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:24 pm

kant1781 wrote: It is a rather well-known fact that the best way to totally ruin and spoil a film for someone is to force him/her to watch and talk about it in front of teachers and classmates.

This is often the case. But I think when someone posts in this forum on a stand alone basis, then I think he really does not like the movie. There are no class mates around to be scared of. This young man is probably not ready for "love" as you stated, but maybe he is ready to feel love but cannot see what the subject of a lesbian relationship could add to to his feelings. I hope Wouter will register to this forum and explain himself more, because I am curious about this.

I would like to state out that I personally do not believe that FÅ is solely about a lesbian relationship. It is first of all about being young and finding out what your goal in life is together with the problems of being an outcast at school and in the village. But I guess that Wouter thinks it is only about lesbian love which may be a difficult subject for some young people. Especially in countries where it is not that accepted.
Last edited by sydney on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sydney

Postby Narcissus » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:39 am

*cough* Poland *cough*
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:17 pm

...or Bavaria... <_<

@sydney:
I think when someone posts in this forum on a stand alone basis, then I think he really does not like the movie.

Yeah, but I didn't want to question that. For sure, he really doesn't like the movie. But that's exactly the point: The fear of being judged by your peers can really make you like or dislike things. It's not that you just pretend to like or dislike it as long as they are around. This is also possible, of course, but the power of social pressure is much greater than that, I'm afraid. It really shapes our tastes even if we think they're all our own.

I personally do not believe that FÅ is solely about a lesbian relationship... I guess that Wouter thinks it is only about lesbian love which may be a difficult subject for some young people

I absolutely agree with the first claim! I'm not going to repeat my very worked-out opinion on what it's about here. But as you said, Wouter hasn't explained himself much, so we can't really tell whether it's the subject or something else. I'd be curious to hear his reasons, too!
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby hook » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:32 pm

...Hi everyone! I'm away from so lot from this forum and I miss you all!!!! ....I got no time, now , to read all which's written in this topic but...I just want to say that FA is really a great film, as just Mr. Moodysson...but, actually, is so normal that there should be someone who like it not.....

....I send you all a great kiss and a whish you a really joyful goodnight

-Hook- :oops:
hook
Gold Member

Postby Narcissus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:15 am

we love you hook!! :P
Narcissus
Crew Member