FA in different language versions

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby kant1781 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:06 pm

Hans wrote:both caracters (Agnes and Elin) remain stronger and much more powerfull with their own voices. This is especially true concerning Agnes! As you allready said: Rebecka Liljeberg's voice is much deeper than in the german dubbed version. That makes the caracter more serious. She doesn't sound like a child anymore, which makes Agnes more adolescent. And you understand better that Agnes is indeed really, really strong. She's fighting! The german dubbed voice of Agnes CAN make her sound a little shy and weak, but she isn't.
And Elin (Alexandra)? Well, you said it: Her groans are unbelivable!

Glad you say that! Couldn't agree more with what you say and the way you said it. I've tried an experiment: Watch the coming-out-scene in German and Swedish immediately in a row and compare Elin’s final „Ja“ in the two voices – it’s so different it completely changes the feeling of the scene. The Swedish original is much more hesitant and fragile.

common svensson wrote:"Dumme Kuh"? That's strange... As far as I know, Elin's yelling "Du kleine Schlampe" ("you little bitch") at Agnes, which is a much stronger insult.

Well, the Salomonic truth seems to be : She says both. :wink: Immediately after Agnes slaps her, Elin cries: „Was soll das denn, du blöde Kuh?“, and some moments later, she yells after her: „Du kleine Schlampe!“ The first insult hasn’t any basis in the Swedish, where she just says „Vad fan håller du på med? Är du dum i huduvet eller?“ (which translates as something like, „What the hell are you doing? Are you stupid or what?“). The second insult takes the place of „Jävla lebb!“ And svensson, you're completely right: Translating „läbb“ by „Schlampe“ is a bloody mistake because it totally obscures the meaning of Elin’s outburst. It should be „Verdammte Lesbe!“ or something. (This would have been perfect concerning lip synchronicity, too).

But Hans is right, too – as usual, the German dubbing reduces the swearing. There is no instance of „fucking“ in the German version, and the rudest insult of all – Jessica and Elin calling each other „fitta“ when fighting on the playground, using I think the equivalent to the most spiteful term for the female genital you can think of in your language – has been replaced by a rather childish „Drecksstück“.

I have read that there are many mistakes in the German translation, but I haven’t found many. The two things that svensson pointed out are interesting cases. There are some more minor and rather inexplicable things, like that when Agnes actually says „You... “ when touching Elin’s hair in the coming-out-scene, the German has her say „Gut...“ („Good...), which is all the more ridiculous since the Swedish and the German would have been identical here („Du...“).

A clear-cut translation fault is Agnes complaining about her mother to her father. In the German version, this goes something like „Mama hat mich noch nie verstanden. Sie war immer so perfekt und hat es immer so gut gehabt.“ („Mum has never understood anything about me. She has always been so awfully perfect and has always had it so good.”) But then she goes on: „Sie ist eine von diesen Frauen, in deren Leben immer alles glatt gelaufen ist.“ (something like „She is one of these women that life’s been good to“) This has no basis in the Swedish where Agnes just says „Hon vat en sån som dom som...“, meaning just „She was like one of those who...“, leaving the rest open. Many commentators have (plausibly) said that what Agnes imagines is that Karin must have been like Camilla and the other girls who are harassing her.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:28 pm

...the more I think about it, the more comes to mind. There is a really stupid instance of the German translators trying to be more funny than the original - when Elin says to Johan, "Du hast den Horizont einer knieenden Ameise" ("You've got the perspective of an ant on its knees"), all she really says is "Du är så jävla dum i huvet" ("You're so bloody stupid").
Who invents things like that??
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Narcissus » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:06 pm

Strange humour: I once read a German bumper sticker that said "my other car is significantly better than this car" Do German's find that funny? I don't think I share the same sense of humour.
Name: Will
D.O.B: 22/03/88
Sexuality: Bisexual
http://myspace.com/willthepom
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:16 pm

Narcissus wrote:I once read a German bumper sticker that said "my other car is significantly better than this car" Do German's find that funny?

I assure you, I don't. But I wouldn't put my hands into the fire for some of my countrymen and -women.
And like everyone with good taste, as far as humour is concerned, we more or less completely depend on British role-models... (some notable exceptions aside).
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Hans » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:05 pm

In order to give an overview on waht has been said in this threat, I just compared some Elin-quotes from the film in different languages (refering to the FÅ-scripts and the german dubbed version).
We see that the german translation isn't well done.

Svenska: Värfor måste vi bo i fucking jävla kuk Åmål?
Deutsch: Warum müssen wir nur in diesem verkackten Amal wohnen?
Nederlands: Waarom wonen we ook in fucking klote Åmål?
English: Why must we live in fucking damned Åmål?

Sve.: Jag vill knarka!
Deu.: Aber ich will mir jetzt irgendwas reinknallen!
Ned.: Maar ik wil high worden!
Eng.: But I wanna get high!

Elin says the following to Jessica after their disput on the playground.

Sve.: Dra åt helvete! Jävla fitta kan du vasa själv!
Deu.: Du kannst mich mal! Bist selber ein blödes Dreckstück!
Ned.: Loop naar de maan! Stom kutwijf!
Eng.: Go to hell! Fucking cunt!

Elin says the following after Agnes has slapped her.

Sve.: Vad fan håller du på med? Ar du dum i huvvet äller? (...) Jävla läbb!
Deu.: Was soll das denn du blöde Kuh? Die ist wohl total verrückt geworden! (...) Du kleine Schlampe!
Ned.: Waarom deed je dat? Ben je een idioot of zo? (...) Gekke pot!
Eng.: What the hell did you do that for? Are you stupid or something? (...) Bloody lesbian!

Elin says the following to Markus.

Sve.: Du är så jävla dum i huvvet!
Deu.: Du hast hast den Horizont einer knieenden Ameise!
Ned.: Jij bent volledig gestoord!
Eng.: You are so bloody stupid!

I could point out a lot of more examples, but i think this should be enough. Well, we see that the german text is often far away from the swedish original. It sometimes even changes the meaning of what has been said or leaves out important details. It reduces the swearing.
The dutch text isn't translated word by word too. But at least, it stays very close to the original, so you can understand the meaning easily. An example (excuse me for picking out such a bad word): "jävla fitta" is translated "stom kutwijf". well, and this can be translated in two ways: "kut" can be "shit", but also "cunt". "wijf" is "Weib" in german. I don't know an english synonym. "stom" means "stupid".
After all, the english translation seams to be the best one.

I hope this helps to continue the discussion.
Hans

Postby Narcissus » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:08 pm

Go England! Yay!! lol 8)
Name: Will
D.O.B: 22/03/88
Sexuality: Bisexual
http://myspace.com/willthepom
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby Hans » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:21 pm

While reading the script, I noticed a funny thing about the ringtone of Markus' mobile phone:
The script only says it is a "strange" melody, but if I got it right it should be the beginning of the "Ode to the joy" from Beethoven's nineth symphony. ---> A really STRANGE melody! Freude schöner Götterfunken- never heard of that. ;-)
As far as I remember, Sweden was allready a member of the European Union when the film was released. Funny- isn't it.
(just kidding) :lol:
Hans

Postby kant1781 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:00 pm

Hans wrote:While reading the script, I noticed a funny thing about the ringtone of Markus' mobile phone:
The script only says it is a "strange" melody, but if I got it right it should be the beginning of the "Ode to the joy" from Beethoven's nineth symphony. ---> A really STRANGE melody!

Well, maybe it's meant to be strange to Marcus and Johan, and it probably is :lol: ! There are lots of kids using bits of classical music as ringtones while having absolutely no idea what it is.

Another remark on your great, detailed study of the various translations: I think I agree with you in general, but one should also be careful with the English translation of the script. Overall, it is very good, but in some places, it's incomplete (e.g., Oboy-scene: It leaves out some of what Elin says), and, just like the German version, it has some catastrophic blunders - just one example: When Johan asks Elin which courses Jessica is going to take in school, what Elin answers is: "Childcare. She's also applied for hairdressing, but I don't think she'll get in." ("Hon ska gå Barn och fritid. Hon har sökt Frisör egentligen, men jag tror inte hon kommer in på det"). But in the transcript as it is available here, the line runs: "I don't know, but Jessica will have a baby [!]. She's going to be a hairdresser, but I don't think she will be that." :wink:

And, concerning the German "verkacktes Åmål" - she doesn't even say that! If I remember rightly, she says that on the bridge, the original fucking-jävla-kuk-Åmål-outburst gets translated as "Warum müssen wir auch in diesem verschissenen Kuhdorf wohnen?"
kant1781
Crew Member

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)