what does FA make you think about sweden, or ...

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

what does FA make you think about sweden, or ...

Postby my_haz » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:48 pm

what does FA make you think about sweden, or what do you think about sweden in general. Its pretty well know that the "swedish brand" (meaning the idea of something being "swedish") is ranked very high among people through out through out the world. If you don't completely understand what i mean by "swedish brand" think of how people react when you say "German Auto," they have a positive reaction.

So what do you think about sweden? Is it someplace you want to or have visited, would you like to live there? Does the fact the FA is from sweden influence your opion of the movie?
American Living In Göteborg Sweden
my_haz

Postby arkz1531 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:08 pm

Well I am 25% Swedish since my mother's Grand-mother was from Sweden. So I have always wanted to visit Sweden and learn the Swedish language. Then when I saw this movie I wanted to learn about Sweden even more. Although my great-grandmother died when I was about 6 so I couldn't learn much from my family. I would live there if I could learn the language but no schools that I have been to offer that language so I would have to learn it some other way.
<i><b>"Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" ~Ernest Gaines</b></i>
Name: Kyle
D.O.B.:January 30, 1987
Sex: Male
Orientation: Bisexual
arkz1531
Silver Member

Postby Narcissus » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:33 pm

oh and nice to see you've found me on myspace arkz :lol:
Name: Will
D.O.B: 22/03/88
Sexuality: Bisexual
http://myspace.com/willthepom
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:49 pm

Well.... :wink: ask all those European kids like me who were spoonfed Astrid Lindgren childrens books when they grew up by their parents (who were listening to Abba music all day long in their Volvos) and who, as soon as they had their own money, started to spend it all at H&M stores whenever they aren't busy listening to Mando Diao and Sugarplum Fairy music in their rooms in which every single bit of furniture is bought from Ikea, and you don't need to be a Nobel prize winner to tell that we wouldn't be who we are without the Swedes... Jag älskar Sverige! :lol:
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby my_haz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:11 pm

Narcissus wrote:oh and nice to see you've found me on myspace arkz :lol:

i did? or :oops:
American Living In Göteborg Sweden
my_haz

Postby kort » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:29 am

i was interested in sweden before watching the movie, but im more interested now, after watching it.
Im sure im going to visit sweden someday, when i have the time (and money) to do so.

Im also interested in the swedish language. After watching the movie i started searching info about sweden and the actors involved in FA and got very frustrated. I can speak english, spanish and german fluently, but i cant understad swedish at all. The internet translations are so stupid they are not even worth reading; so i sit in front of an article written in swedish (which looks interesting) just feeling sorry for myself;

I mean..3 languages is enough, but i just wish i could understand swedish in order to know more about the country and its culture

i think i would try to learn it if i had the time (or if i got frustrated enough)
kort

Postby Emiliano » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:22 pm

I think is a very interesting country, and the people from there are nice. I don't know what does sweden have, perhaps, it's just the GREAT film!
"...Suelo extrañarte para volver..."
Emiliano
Faithfull Member

Postby Anny » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 pm

kant1781 wrote:Well.... :wink: ask all those European kids like me who were spoonfed Astrid Lindgren childrens books when they grew up by their parents (who were listening to Abba music all day long in their Volvos) and who, as soon as they had their own money, started to spend it all at H&M stores whenever they aren't busy listening to Mando Diao and Sugarplum Fairy music in their rooms in which every single bit of furniture is bought from Ikea, and you don't need to be a Nobel prize winner to tell that we wouldn't be who we are without the Swedes... Jag älskar Sverige! :lol:

lööölzi kant! :mrgreen:
name: annika
d.o.b.: 08 sep 1987
sex: female
sexuality: lesbian
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Narcissus » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:36 pm

my_haz wrote:
Narcissus wrote:oh and nice to see you've found me on myspace arkz :lol:

i did? or :oops:

wtf?
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby arkz1531 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:18 am

No, I found Will on MySpace. Will was talking to me.
<i><b>"Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" ~Ernest Gaines</b></i>
Name: Kyle
D.O.B.:January 30, 1987
Sex: Male
Orientation: Bisexual
arkz1531
Silver Member

Postby Narcissus » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:27 am

:D
Narcissus
Crew Member

Postby Max Lynx » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:31 am

I must bust my ass in economy to go there.Fuck i have promised to take some friends to go there.
Max Lynx
Faithfull Member

Postby Elin S. » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:28 am

It really depends on where you live, in Sweden...Trollhättan, where is the movie is shot, is a really small suburb town, like we also have, where i live in Norway. My town is actually the second biggest town of the country but though it's not that big, and you can visit downtown within a few hours, then you realize it's pretty small...And a few kilometers away, it's only small villages and suburb towns, with not much happening, far from being fun and entertaining...Just peaceful/boring small towns where you're forced to take many busses to get to bigger cities, where the fun is.

I love the fact that in the movie, Åmål is so well depicted as the most boring place ever...Just the sights of the town make you wanna slit your wrists, it seems so quiet and depressing.

But back to the topic, the biggest cities in Sweden are really miles away from Åmål/Trollhättan, and Stockholm is a great town with a lot to do and see, the same goes for Gothenburg.
Elin S.

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:39 am

Well, Fucking Åmål wasn't really meant as a critique of small towns in general, Moodysson has said so himself.

It's just that for Agnes and Elin, they long for something else, and to get away from narrow minded people.

As for Sweden, yes I like my own country :)

It's a fairly large country with a small population.

We have beautiful nature and the beautiful capital Stockholm.

And of course Swedish is the most beautiful language in the world as you know :D
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)