What It´s All About - A Tribute to Fucking Åmål

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Although nowhere and was not mentionned, why Lukas Modisson
has chose exactly this populated point Åmål, rather then what there Kalix or Rödeby- I expect that else and since name causes some assotiations itself.

This is because Å - a last letter in swedish alphabet.
Mål possible to interpret on different - a purpose,point,finish,the end,limit..
That is to say for me Åmål sounds nearly as "edge of the light / edge of the land".

I think Moodysson chose "Åmål" because the name doesn't "sound" very glamorous in Swedish, it really "sounds" like a boring place :wink:

I don't think it has anything to do with the alphabet.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby droopy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Just from my point of view, the title in Slovakia and Czech Rep. (translates to "Love is Love") was really wrong together with the US title Show Me Love. It just destroys the anger of original name. I think, the distributor tried to exploit the story by giving it this name. It was totally incompetent.

The name "Love is Love" or "Laska je Laska" has some connotation in our (CZ and SK) culture. There was a music hit in 1992 "Laska je Laska" by Lucie Bila. It was about love/sex in it's all colors of rainbow...

Watch for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osr7qLdUHkQ

It's a mess...

The refrain says:

Love is love, when boys date girls,
Love is love, when boys date boys and girls date girls.
Oh God, I'm still alive!
droopy

Postby mpox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:41 pm

kant1781 wrote:I think it was me... because I happen to be the one who wrote it :wink: . And I remember that you, Kyle, were actually the first one to read it, and I was very thankful for that!

This was so good Kant... I liked the film but I got a lot more out of it reading through some of the history and having a native speaker explain some of the more abstract things (e.g. the drains). I especially liked your interpretation of how Moodysson used the bridge, very nice. :)

The only suggestion I'd have is it might be better to separate part 7 from the rest. It's very interesting but not really directly relevant to the discussion of the actual film and that way you'd go directly from redemption to the conclusion just like FÅ did.

Of course it'd be easier to just keep it the way it is. :)
mpox
Gold Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:07 am

Thank you! :) All the compliments are very much appreciated, except that I am not a native speaker of Swedish... (wish I was!) You're right about part 7. It won't survive any serious revision of the text.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby hcd » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:21 pm

I especially liked your interpretation of how Moodysson used the bridge, very nice.

D*ng, I didn't read it so far yet. Only the beginning.

It was really interesting to read about the crazy-going reactions of the audience in the cinemas during that time. There was only one time where I was a witness to such a reaction. It was about a month ago in the (very strange) film "No Country for Old Man". When the one man asks the other man where he has the 2 million bucks and he answers that he spend all the money for whiskey and whores in the last two days. At this point the whole audience started laughing and yelling and spontaneous applause raised up. Crazy.
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby Alyson » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:02 am

Hi everybody! :)

I´m new here and i recently watched FA and IT IS the best.movie.ever!!
When i read Kant´s essay about the movie i found it so interesting and amazing that i just couldn´t stop reading! :D Absolutely Great Work!
Alyson

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:29 am

Hey, a female fan! :lol:

Welcome to the board, Alyson. :)
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Alyson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:16 am

Thanks codyw1! :)
I´m happy i found this forum and find out that i´m not the only one knocked up by FA "virus"! kkkk
Alyson

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:57 am

It's such a relief, isn't it? :D :wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Yes, hej Alyson and välkommen :wink:

Where are you from and how come you discovered this film?

Btw, it's really nice the board has gotten some new members lately and the postings have increased!
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 am

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Btw, it's really nice the board has gotten some new members lately and the postings have increased!

I'd like to second that! :D I've been hibernating here for more than a year with nobody else around... nice to have you Alyson!
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 am

Yeah, I only joined just over 2 months ago, and there's been several new people come even since then - which is really nice to see!
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Alyson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:54 pm

codyw1
It's such a relief, isn't it?

haha Yes, it is! :D

Tack, tack till alla! :)
It feels great to talk with people who were touched by this incredible movie just like I was. And to noticed that even 10 years later there´s still new ideas to be comment about! How cool is that?! :wink:

hej Agnes&Elin Forever!
The first time I heard about FA was a long time ago…maybe 2001 or 2002. But only now I had the chance to watch the movie and I was lucky! :D Yeyy!
Now i´m like this: totally knocked out! kkkkkkkkk
Alyson

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)