Too young for FÅ?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Too young for FÅ?

Postby Kolya » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:02 am

So here's the question: What age do you think children/youths should be to watch FÅ? (I'm not asking for what some agency/gov/whatever recommends.)
It's a practical question because I know two young girls who would certainly be interested to see the movie. They are in the age where kids become increasingly interested in kissing, love and all that. But is this enough?
Thinking about this I found myself more concerned with Agnes's attempted suicide scene then the kiss I have to say... but maybe the whole concept cannot be really understood under a certain age?
Is FÅ a film for kids at all? At what age would you let your children watch FÅ?
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby sydney » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:54 am

Good question! I would like to know that too. Maybe the discussion will give us the answer.

I know that film commissions (who set the age to watch the films) in various countries think very different about it. In the U.K. for example Show me love is suitable (which means you are allowed to buy and watch it) for age 15 and over, but the advised age to watch is 18.

But what does it mean?
'15' – Suitable only for 15 years and over
No-one younger than 15 may see a ‘15’ film in a cinema. No-one younger than 15 may rent or buy a ‘15’ rated video or DVD.

Theme
No theme is prohibited, provided the treatment is appropriate to 15 year olds.

Language
There may be frequent use of strong language (eg 'fuck'). But the strongest terms (eg 'cunt') will be acceptable only where justified by the context. Continued aggressive use of the strongest language is unlikely to be acceptable.

Nudity
Nudity may be allowed in a sexual context but without strong detail. There are no constraints on nudity in a non-sexual or educational context.

Sex
Sexual activity may be portrayed but without strong detail. There may be strong verbal references to sexual behaviour.

Violence
Violence may be strong but may not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury. Scenes of sexual violence must be discreet and brief.

Imitable techniques
Dangerous techniques (eg combat, hanging, suicide and self-harming) should not dwell on imitable detail. Easily accessible weapons should not be glamorised.

Horror
Strong threat and menace are permitted. The strongest gory images are unlikely to be acceptable.

Drugs
Drug taking may be shown but the film as a whole must not promote or encourage drug misuse.

The self-harming thing is described here. I think this is one of the main reasons this movie has label 15 years and over in the U.K.

In the Netherlands for example there is no restriction, but only an advisory age to watch the movie, and that age is set to 12 years and over. First conclusion in this discussion might be: "It depends on which country you live"
But that's a quick conclusion just based on the movie certification boards.

I personally think this movie is harmless for every age group. But I recommend this movie as from age group 14 or so. Then the subject in the movie becomes really an issue. I know that in The Netherlands this movie is shown at school to children in that age group.

I will leave it at that for the time being, leaving this very important note:

You are certainly never too old to watch FÅ!!! :Y :mrgreen:
sydney

Re: Too young for FÅ?

Postby andreyvit » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:35 pm

Well, I can only say I don't know. Here in Russia "age rates" are never noticed nor honored, so the idea of "at what age can people start seeing sexual/suicide scenes" seems surprising. In fact, I think young (ab. 12yo) people already know such things quite well, maybe even better than their parents, so there's no point in forbidding. In fact, kids will watch what they want anyway, so it's much better to show them the best and cleverest films yourself and thus to be able to give appropriate comments.

And hiding the scenes of kissing or masturbation is complete nonsense at the age of 12.

On the other hand, it's not the best thing that Agnes tries to kill herself. Being a clever girl she should not have tried. So you must give some comments. As one of my favourite writers said, "If you're can give up your life and going to kill yourself, you'd better be creative and get into a ship sailing to Africa, or something." It's absolutely idiotic to suicide, and if you start thinking creatively, you'll finally figure a way to continue your current life without that.

Having said that, I don't know what age is right to understand and love the idea of FA. I would say something about 16 or 18, when one probably already had a boy-/girlfriend and already faced some problems of that kind.

On the other hand, they can watch it several times at different ages. So just treat FA like any other good film.
Andrey.
andreyvit

Postby kant1781 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:54 pm

I don't think there's anything harmful to kids in FÅ. Agnes's suicide attempt is uncomfortable to watch, but there are worse things nowadays in almost every daily soap (not to mention Harry Potter). That said I think that the best thing would be to let the kids decide. If somebody shows an interest in the film's subject, that is, if he/she can relate to what the film shows and wants to know about it (having parties, falling in love, having to stand up against peer pressure, and so on), that person is old enough. For some people this happens at age 12, for others at 15.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:29 pm

This may be a bit off topic but I have noticed that films or TV series that have some gay characters in them are pretty often said to be harmful for kids, or at least more harmful than those that have only straight characters. For example, if there are a man and a woman kissing each other in the prime time soap opera that's just OK and "normal" and harmless for children to watch. But what happens if there are two women or two men kissing each other in the prime time show or even later? Then it's soooo harmful for kids.. I don't understand that. Maybe people would just be more tolerant if they saw more different people and different relationships in TV. Though some people think that you will "turn" gay if you watch TV programs or movies that have gay characters in them.. I think that's just bullshit! Then I should be very very straight person because I have all my life watch those extremely heterosexual American soap operas like The Bold and the Beautiful.. But I'm not so heterosexual so that theory is wrong.

(And when I think about it.. would it even be so dangerous if people "turn" gay when they watch gay movies/TV series? There would just be more gay people in the world and that would be just fine for me.. :P :lol: 8) )
Elämä on elämää varten annettu, ja se on ihanasti sanottu.
Sandy

Postby Anny » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:07 pm

i agree with you sandy :wink: i think it's a vicious circle... when people think that way about gay people, these topic is "dangerous" for tv-makers cause everybody will talk about it and say that it's not good for the kids (like you said) but the other thing is that most people (heteros) believe what they see in those films and think that's the way it is in reality too. (by the way most german series especially with gay men are very prejudiced...) so they think it's sooo far away from reality that they don't have to think about it. and after that gay people don't show their sexuality to others when they have that opinion because of what they saw on tv... and that means that gay topics will always be something special on tv (what means nothing good i fear...)
and there are some people who believe that one "becomes" gay by watching sponge-bob... :shock:

and there is one soap here (they had the first gay kiss on german tv btw) there are "enough" gay people in my opinoin to make it realistic and they get thousands of mails where people say 'i don't want to see that on tv, that's sooo disgusting, i'll stop watching this serie!' i watch that too and there are much more scenes were heteros do "worse" things... ok i'll stop here... i know that there is nobody homophobic here...

ach and sandy what did you mean with your last sentence? :wink:
name: annika
d.o.b.: 08 sep 1987
sex: female
sexuality: lesbian
Anny
Crew Member

Postby darkleon » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:26 pm

Anny wrote: i know that there is nobody homophobic here...

except me!
or maybe i just dont like to be too normal around here ;-)

Anny wrote:and there is one soap here (they had the first gay kiss on german tv btw

which do you mean?
darkleon
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:40 pm

darkleon wrote:
Anny wrote: i know that there is nobody homophobic here...

except me!
or maybe i just dont like to be too normal around here ;-)

hm... interesting thought! you mean here it's normal to be gay so you're not? (anyway i don't like the word "normal"...)

darkleon wrote:
Anny wrote:and there is one soap here (they had the first gay kiss on german tv btw

which do you mean?

it's calles "Lindenstraße" (why do you ask? are you from germany?)
Anny
Crew Member

Postby darkleon » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Anny wrote:hm... interesting thought! you mean here it's normal to be gay so you're not? (anyway i don't like the word "normal"...)

no, meant its quite normal here to dont be homophobic...so i am :-P
normal in the sense of "most people are"

Anny wrote:why do you ask? are you from germany?

yeah i am...but i hate soaps :-)
darkleon
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:01 pm

Anny wrote:
darkleon wrote:why do you ask? are you from germany?

yeah i am...but i hate soaps :-)

me too (except that one... it's actually no "real" soap... (eher: ein minimum an intellektuellem anspruch :wink: ))
Anny
Crew Member

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:46 am

Anny wrote:ach and sandy what did you mean with your last sentence? :wink:

Well, it was just a joke.. But if there were more gay people in the world it would just be easier for me to find a girl friend.. :P

And about German soap operas. I remember one German soap opera that was shown here in Finland a couple of years ago. It was called "Marienhof" and I remember that there were gay kiss(es) in that show. I mean between two women. In Finland we also have one soap opera that has two lesbian characters. And people talk about it and say that it's not healthy for children to show it in the prime time..
Elämä on elämää varten annettu, ja se on ihanasti sanottu.
Sandy

Postby slarti » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:41 pm

The thing that's not healthy for children with regards to lesbian life shown on TV is the way it's depicted.

Every adult lesbian goes through an expensive custody battle, every teenaged lesbians storyline focusses on just the comming out part, and if that isn't enough, kill of the second best character on the show (yes Joss I AM talking to you) or just cast the most horrible actress since the invention of guest starring.

Sucks
slarti

Postby Anny » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Sandy wrote:
Anny wrote:ach and sandy what did you mean with your last sentence? :wink:

Well, it was just a joke.. But if there were more gay people in the world it would just be easier for me to find a girl friend.. :P

ah, now i understand :P did i say that it's one of my biggest dreams to move to finland? :wink:

and i saw "marienhof" a few times... not bad, but i'm no soap-fan at all... the best actors for gay roles are those who are gay themselves!
Anny
Crew Member

Postby darkleon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:04 pm

Anny wrote:the best actors for gay roles are those who are gay themselves!

well....
as far as its known
neither Alexandra Dahlströn
nor Rebecka Liljeberg
and not even the inventor of the story and director is gay

so...nice theory :-P
darkleon
Gold Member

Postby Anny » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:46 pm

it's because i think FA is not a so called "gay film"... anyway i said that FA is excluded to my thought on this topic! just to mention...
Anny
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)