With what age did you see FA?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

12 and younger
No votes
13-14
5%
15-16
13%
17-18
23%
19-20
15%
21 and older
45%

Total votes : 40

Postby darkleon » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:33 pm

and did your view about FA changed since?
was it too young?
what do you think about that age?
darkleon
Gold Member

Postby Kolya » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:00 pm

I'm 28 and I saw the movie only a few weeks ago for the first time. So my view hasn't changed much and I certainly wasn't too young I think. I still can say something about what I feel about this age especially in the context of the movie.
When I saw the movie I was very impressed by it's truthfulness and the rush, the urgency that you have when you're a teen. You want things to happen now! I remembered that and then thought: Now this sucks! You're ten years too old for all of this, it will never come back this way. Look at the obligations you got. Those will only become more.
Look at how tired you are of many many things, this will only increase in future.

I didn't pity myself for too long though since I could feel what the movie had shown right now and I wanted to hold on to this feeling and to channel it into something favourably for me. I made a few changes to my life but the most important aspect still is and I hope will be that I look at life differently now, in a more curious, ingenuous and daring way.
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby kant1781 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Interesting. I was 27 when I first watched it. (And this was in 2000. Please don't calculate.) I know that if I had watched it at age 17, it would have changed my life. Or completely shattered it. Actually I'm almost glad that this film didn't come my way when I was 17 when I was constantly unhappy and would almost certainly have fallen madly in love with either one of the two leads, which wouldn't have made things easier. *:|* Even at age 27 it moved me more than I could bear. When I look at it now, sometimes I feel like Pappa Olof :wink: . If I could pop into the film and say some of the lines, it would be his: Don't stop believing, don't stop hoping, don't stop fighting, and in the end you'll see the Bengts and Camillas shipwreck to your left and to your right, and you'll find happiness (maybe even before 25 years are over). That's what the film is to me, personally: A promise that turned out to be true...
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby jaret » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:12 pm

i'm not sure if it changed my life.
i started looking for a movie about lesbian love, and i didnt really knew what to expect, i just wanted to see a alternative love story, and it's cool that i had seen FA first, i saw my summer of love later and i didnt liek it.
if i had seen msol first i'd probably had said: "lesbian movies suck" but thanks to FA i know there is at least one that is good.
there are also a couple of anime about lesbians, i specially enjiyed "kannazuki no miko" it's a 12 episode series about magic, mechas and 2 girls in love, it's cool but you might not like the fact about giant robots and magic.
jaret

Postby robinn » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:38 pm

o :lol:

i chose 17-18, but i remember now i saw it for the fist time when i was sixteen...

It sounds cheesy, but it did change my life! it made me realise all these things we can find in popmusic too. for example, personal favorite of mine, the replacements. a song like I will dare does the same thing to me: " meet me any place, any where, any time, I don't care! Meet me tonight if you will dare, I will dare!"

or Answering Machine: "how do you say I miss you to answering machine?"

lyrics about the so-called teenage angst-syndrom. Fucking Amal is the answer to teenage angst. at least, it is to me!
robinn
Silver Member

Postby Lisa Skagerstam » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:42 am

I think I was 22/23. Thing is, I had been meaning to see it for years. I read a review of it in Empire when it was released and really wanted to see it. This was before I had the internet and stuff, so it was impossible to track down. Then around 2002 I saw one of the publicity shots in another magazine and remembered the film, looked it up online, and bought the VHS. It was a revelation, and I could identify with all of it despite being a straight male. Didn't think Moodysson could eclipse it, but Lilya 4-Ever was a masterpiece....incredible filmmaker.
Lisa Skagerstam

Postby Sphinx » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:12 am

17-18...i broke up with my boyfriend, fall in love with a girl, got heartbroken ...but now it seems quite ok :lol: :lol: :lol:
...and no...movie had no influence on me 8) hehe
"Teach me passion for I fear it's gone. Show me love, hold the lorn. So much more I wanted to give to the ones who love me. I'm sorry. Time will tell (this bitter farewell). I live no more to shame nor me nor you. And you...I wish I didn't feel for you anymore..."
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby slarti » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:43 pm

18 I guess, nope, did not change my life, just screwed up another week of a realy fucked up period of time, so who cares
slarti

Postby ahlberg » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Well I first saw it when I was twenty, six ago. Before I saw the film, I heard it captured rave reviews from film critics from all over. But the film was not released in Toronto, I don't think so I had to wait until it came on television. When I saw it the first time, I thought it was good, not great, but very unique and different. But as the film came on tv, a few times over the last couple of years, I've really grown to appreciate and fell completly in LOVE with the film. After the last time it came on the television, I went out the next day to buy it and enjoyed emmensly ever since. It since went on to become my FAVORITE film of all time. Even though I'm straight, the film can appeal to anyone regardless of sexuality. Brilliant film. Ithink every teen from all over the world should watch it. Heck EVERYONE in the world should watch it.
ahlberg

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

I saw FÅ when I was 18. It was a great but somehow shocking experience because watching the film made me realize clearer than before that I am not straight. I remember that when the movie for the first time was shown in cinemas in Finland (I think it was in 1999) I didn't want to see it because that time I was afraid of my own sexual orientation or at least I wasn't ready to admit it to myself. The topic of that film was too close, it was almost hurting. But still I was thinking that it might be an interesting movie.

And then I saw it in 2003 when I was 18.. And it was something pretty amazing..
Elämä on elämää varten annettu, ja se on ihanasti sanottu.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:53 pm

And yeah, Ahlberg, you are right, everyone in the world should see FÅ!
Elämä on elämää varten annettu, ja se on ihanasti sanottu.
Sandy

Postby Anny » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:09 pm

i think it was the same with me... just the other way round (since i was 14 or so i wanted to see films with lesbians and didn't know why... it was just "interesting" for me to watch...) later i realized why it was that way... i was never afraid of being gay at this time... i didn't think about it at that age... i can only say that it was not because of these films that i "became" a lesbian (well, that's how some people think...) i guess i was that way all my life... when i watched FA the first time i was 17 and that was the time when i realized everything... so i think it changed something about my life, but it was nothing that was completly new... it was inside me all my life and then just came to the surface... :wink:
name: annika
d.o.b.: 08 sep 1987
sex: female
sexuality: lesbian
Anny
Crew Member

Postby ahlberg » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Sandy, I think it's nice that FA helped you a little discovering who you really are. :lol:
ahlberg

Postby Rebecka Fan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:10 pm

i saw it last year when i was 16. i'd seen pictures, clips, trailers and read transcrips of the film and knew i just had to find a way of seeing the whole the film. lucky for me my mum who has an account on Ebay was able to bid on the VHS and she won it for me!! i love it!!! I was already a fan of Rebecka and slowly becoming a fan of Alexandra so this just confirmed my love for the film and it's stars!!
*Kyle*
I'm a Guy Directioner.
Rebecka Fan
Crew Member

Postby Emiliano » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:48 am

i sow this movie last year, when i was 17, like most people.
"...Suelo extrañarte para volver..."
Emiliano
Faithfull Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)