AHHH!!! I love it!!! Am I crazy? (long)

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

AHHH!!! I love it!!! Am I crazy? (long)

Postby JimmyC » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi, I'm new here and I just watched this movie 2 days ago. I watched most of it again yesterday cause I just couldn't get enough. I can't believe this movie came out in 1998, which means it took me EIGHT years to discover it! I hope it's not on the "out" list like the raves are ;)

But boy am I glad that there is a forum and even a whole site dedicated to it! It certainly deserves it. I'm so thankful to everybody who has made this site and this forum and all these resources available.

I was actually going through withdrawal today cause I returned the movie yesterday to Netflix and immediately regretted it. I shoulda kept it and watched it a few hundred more times before returning it! haha. But I felt like I had totally related to and fallen in love with the two main characters so much that when the movie ended and I returned it, I felt like it was the end of something really big. And even though it's a happy and optimistic ending, it made me sad because that's the last I can know of that story... it won't continue, it's like losing 2 good friends.

Anyway, I hope I'm not being too melodramatic. It's just the teenager in me that comes out if I am, because this movie really does bring me back to that time in my life (I'm 28 now, straight male, if that matters). Some of the things I love about this film:

- the acting is superb. I have rarely seen acting this good, and never have I seen acting this good by a teenager. The subtleties and everything are so well done. I love watching Agnes during the O-boy scene, it's so real I could die! You can see so many things aside from the obvious (happiness, amusement, etc.) you can also see that she is a little bit nervous and self conscious (I love when she scratches her face, sorta... I don't know why).

- I loved how all the characters were treated as complexly as possible, even though a lot of them didn't have as much screen time. I felt for Johan even though I understood why he had to be dumped.. in a lesser movie, he would have been made out into a villain or something

- I love how the 2 main characters have flaws that the film doesn't try to hide from you

- I love the parents, who obviously care... and aren't villians either.

- I love that they ended on the O-boy scene instead of the coming out scene. It is one of my favorite scenes and it is says so much about everything (the characters, the future, etc.) without directly spelling it out for you

- I loved the use of music that the characters are actually listening to in real life. It makes it seem that much more real as opposed to a "soundtrack" that is mixed in. I also love how the music sounds so un-mixed in... Like it feels documentary like.

- this point is related to the last one... I love how the director has kind of a REALISTIC approach to the material, and yet at the same time he doesn't feel tied down to being realistic. It's not like the dogma school where the approach defines the movie. Here, if he feels like being a little bit unrealistic and if it benefits the story, he does it. What I mean is that in the kissing scene, the music swells up, when in real life it obviously won't do that since it's just coming from the car radio. This at first seems like a flaw in a movie that kind of tries to be completely honest to how things REALLY happen. But the way it is done is so OBVIOUS that it makes you feel like YES he is manipulating your emotions and it is intentional. But you allow your emotions to be manipulated because you're aware that the director is aware of it, and it's not like just something he was trying to sneak past you (like many hollylwood manipulations seem to do). Also: because the rest of the movie is so realistic, it makes these manipulations even more powerful.

- I hope that made sense

- I also love how all the dramatic scenes are immediately undercut. It's SO like real life esp. as a teenager when you want so bad to make everything dramatic and beautiful and full of self-pity. But then it's not how it ends up, it just ends up awkward and painfully real. Like in the car scene, I love how the audience is drawn into that kiss, with the music and everything, but I love just as much how short lasting it is and how quickly and abruptly it is interrupted by this kinda real-life figure. "Is this Candid Camera?" I love that! It's just how life is, you want these moments to be bigger than life, but no, life isn't there to help you dramatize things.

- I love that it ends where it ends and how short it was. At the end I was definately like I WANT TO SEE MORE but I also realize that if it went on longer it would kinda diminish the movie as a whole. It's about a very tiny thing and it does that thing well. I like how it doesn't promise us anything as in happily ever after or anything. It's very honest that this is what we have at the end, which is a happy thing, but we know very well that it may not last. But "it doesn't matter" as Elin says. That is such a good message I think.

- I love the restraint that is practiced here. It is easy for a lesbian movie to have lots of gratuitous scenes of sex and stuff. But that isn't what this movie is about. Those scenes would ruin what this movie is about. The only scene where any real physical expression of love happens is in the car, and that's perfect because it makes it better and more RARE. It makes you really kinda savor it, like a really good moment in your own life that you may try to remember every detail of. I think restraint is very important in showing love in movies, because movies these days show so much physical sex that it becomes totally meaningless. Whereas a movie like this, or a movie like "In the Mood For Love" (which is all about a love affair but has NO kind sex or even kissing) is so effective because it keeps you wanting that element and then you realize that you shouldn't want that element because that's not what love is about, but that movies have trained you to associate that with love. And that is why it is so great that it's not there!

If I had to say anything I didn't like about the movie, it would be the bathroom/out of the closet scene. I loved it in terms of the acting and everything, but I thought the physical and literal-ness of the "coming out of the closet" seemed a bit cheesy and hokey... haha. I do understand the need for it, but felt like the symbolism was a bit strong.

I think Moodysson realized this too, which is why he ended on the O-Boy scene which undercuts it in the best way possible.

Okay I have rambled way too long, I hope this is okay with you because I am obsessed right now and I'm sure you all understand because you've been through it too ;)

~j
JimmyC

Re: AHHH!!! I love it!!! Am I crazy? (long)

Postby kant1781 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:10 pm

JimmyC wrote: AHHH!!! I love it!!! Am I crazy?

Yes you are! :lol:
But as you already noticed, at least you are not alone with that! :T
Welcome onboard the nuthouse, JimmyC!
I suspect I'm notorious for adorning this forum with relatively rare, but long posts, so I liked yours very much, and I found a lot of myself and in it, up to the point that I used to put things into much the same words as you did on these pages. One year ago, reading your post would have certainly made me want to see the film again immediately. (You should think about buying the DVD because, if you're a regular case, the infection won't go away in the upcoming weeks.) My personal obsession has faded in recent months, it seems to me, but certainly not my deep admiration. So I hope to read and comment on more of your contributions here, and make them as long as possible! (Though I assume that nobodoy's gonna break my record of 132.000 characters... alright, that wasn't a forum entry... :wink: Check the www link below if you're interested.)
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby JimmyC » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:04 am

kant:

Thanks for the reassurance! I just read your very long essay and loved it... it is so great when people not only know what they like, but also spend that extra time thinking about it and figuring out WHY they like it. I tend to do this with movies I like a great deal.

I especially enjoyed the section on commitment. I found the pas de deux metaphor to be really apt. And I also felt that there was change going on in both characters, that the ending wasn't unwarranted. You definately narrowed that down well, pinpointing the exact places where the characters developed and how they developed. I love how subtle the movie is in showing these developments.

I also enjoyed your comparisons of this movie to other movies. I have seen both of the movies you mentioned, but it has been a while for Magnolia, so I may have to revisit it.

I was wondering: have you seen a movie called Minnie & Moskowitz? It was directed by Cassavettes, and I'd be interested in what you think about it as its own thing. But also as it relates to these 3 movies (Fucking Amal, Lost in Translation, Magnolia).

I have yet to see any other Moodysson movies. I have Lilja-4-ever here on my desk now from Netflix, but I'm scared to watch it tonight. I'm still in such a fever from Fucking Amal that I don't know if I'm ready for a depressing movie. Also, I want to see Together, but I'll have to find it first as Netflix doesn't carry it.

One last question. In your Fucking Amal library, there is listed an essay called How Soon is Now but I cannot find the link to it. Any help?

Thank you very much in sharing all of this with me!!!

~j.
JimmyC

Postby JimmyC » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:21 am

One more thing... in response to this:

I feel justified in this textual approach by Lukas Moodysson himself, who once said that he considered his script for Fucking Åmål to account for about »eighty percent« of his overall achievement in making the film, as compared to his direction.

I feel that the script itself is truly strong, but that the kind of subtle acting that was needed to pull off this script and actually make it believable probably accounts for another 80% (so that makes this film already at 160%, wow! It's quite a big film, I feel like I'm making O'Boy. let's mix in some more milk! haha).

It's just funny that whenever I read any review of this movie where they talk about the plot or even quote something from the movie it always sounds about 20% as good as it did in the movie (unless I'm reading it w/ the voices of the actors in mind). There's just so much in the delivery and the embodiments of these characters that made it just WORK!

Sorry I should stop writing now. haha I have to go to a dinner anyway. Bye!

~j.
JimmyC

Postby kant1781 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:43 pm

JimmyC wrote:I feel that the script itself is truly strong, but that the kind of subtle acting that was needed to pull off this script and actually make it believable probably accounts for another 80% (...). There's just so much in the delivery and the embodiments of these characters that made it just WORK!

Absolutely! Mind he was talking only about his own achievement, not about those of Alexandra and Rebecka. Who could even imagine FA without the heart-stopping performances of the two?
Whenever I'm reminded of this it comes back to me that I will never get over the fact that these two wonderful, beautiful artists seem to never have found another scriptwriter and director to match their talents. (Passing over the sad fact that Rebecka, after appearing in some less than average films, has quit altogether.)

I don't know the Cassavetes film, but I will watch out for it, thanks!
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby PackDude » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:31 am

X2 Jimmy, X2
PackDude
Faithfull Member

Postby eric » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am

JimmyC wrote:...

If I had to say anything I didn't like about the movie, it would be the bathroom/out of the closet scene. I loved it in terms of the acting and everything, but I thought the physical and literal-ness of the "coming out of the closet" seemed a bit cheesy and hokey... haha. I do understand the need for it, but felt like the symbolism was a bit strong.

You have to keep in mind that this is a swedish movie, made for a swedish audience and was likely never intended to be shown abroad. There probably is no literal translation for that expression in swedish, so Moodysson might have thought it was ok to use this english metaphor.
eric

Postby snaps » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm

eric wrote:You have to keep in mind that this is a swedish movie, made for a swedish audience and was likely never intended to be shown abroad. There probably is no literal translation for that expression in swedish, so Moodysson might have thought it was ok to use this english metaphor.

Good thinking. It was well planned and not a ''quick fix'' to finding an ending. It was the only part of the film shot on a studio set and not on location. It captured the pace, conserved the drama and the forcing of a ''past the point of no return'' resolution by the protagonists. It would have been cheesier and not really credible to have A&E banging a spoon in the school lunch hall and making a formal announcement to a hushed audience. It was never going to happen like that. It recaptured and rekindled that crazy moment for them when they set out for Stockholm. The kind of high octane experience that gets burned into your memories forever. ''Out of the closet'' is not a random expression, but a literal reflection on how some people (even now) have to live their lives. The Oboy scene is the perfect counter to this, the OMG moment of where do we go from here? mmm not sure, but lets have fun finding out! :D
snaps
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Actually this term 'coming out of the closet' exists in swedish too, and it's a direct translation as well, it's called 'komma ut ur garderoben' in swedish

However I'm not exactly sure if it was widely used in the 90s when FÅ was released, perhaps it was adopted from the english language in the last 5-10 years, I don't really know

But even if the expression was around in Sweden when FÅ premiered, and even if Moodysson was aware of it, I've never thought about this scene in this way

And I've never heard anyone talking about it and referring to this expression

But of course in retrospect it does seem a bit obvious 'coming out of the closet'-ish :lol:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby snaps » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I'm guessing it probably derives from North America. ''closet'' as in W.C. or ''water closet'' isn't a word in normal UK use it's a bit like they use the word ''bathroom'' when we say less prosaic, more anglo-saxon words like words like ''bog'', 'loo'', ''kazi'', ''sh*thouse'', ''crapper'', or even as the Aussies say ''dunny'' :lol: dunny, :lol: now that is funny :lol:
snaps
Crew Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)