Hello! I'm new in this forum :)

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby clara » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:22 pm

Welcome, bimboinhales!,

Did you watch the film in the UK or is BBC4 available in other countries too?

Sydney,

Yes I think that in general, Britain is quite liberal in it's attitudes - more so than years ago. And I think that the British people are more liberal than we come across to the rest of the world........ :)

Btw, What do you think about this subject. Do you consider yourself and the british in general as Europeans or do you think that the British lean more towards the US as it comes to culture?

Personally, I feel more European. I think that American movie makers can be hypocritical when they don't want to show nudity, but think nothing of showing characters shooting each others' brains out. I mean, which image is the most dangerous within a viewer's mind? And why didn't they want to release Fucking Amal in the US and UK under it's original title - I mean, don't we/they say the f-word every other second in their/our films anyway?! There are many great things about America (their independent films are really good), but one thing that I think British and Europeans agree on is that there is too much influence of American culture in Britain and Europe. This isn't running America down, but our countries want to keep their own identities too. I think it's important because all nationalities can learn so much from each other - no one nationality is more important than another. I don't see that there's anything wrong in Britain and America learning that there is a whole different world out there ;) I think it's great that a website like this can have members from all over the world sharing their love for a film, with no prejudices against each other. That's great. I think that Britain has more in common with European countries than it realises, though. And we do have a lot of common history...... :D

Take care,
Clara
clara
Faithfull Member

Postby sydney » Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:12 am

There are many great things about America (their independent films are really good), but one thing that I think British and Europeans agree on is that there is too much influence of American culture in Britain and Europe. This isn't running America down, but our countries want to keep their own identities too.

So, true. The one thing that disturbs me is that cinemas these days are only showing the hollywood productions. No, problem that they show it, but on the other hand the European Movie Industry must have a chance also. I feel that the cinemas these days are not trying hard enough to promote the European product. Fucking Åmål for example was shown in ordinary cinemas throughout Sweden. This was not the case in the Netherlands. If you wanted to see the film then you had to go to the "filmhouses" as we call it. Filmhouses are small cinemas which show European and cult films. But if Fucking Åmål got the chance in the large cinemas then I think that success would be as great as in Sweden. Only this film did not get the chance in the large cinema. :(
Last edited by sydney on Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sydney

Postby amy_fa » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:17 pm

Hi all,
As you see,I'm also new on this forum,and this is my first post here.I've watched Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love) about 2 years ago on TV and want to say this is the best foreign film that I've ever seen.Film kinda changed me,and still can't get it out of my head.
Btw,Sydney,I like your top 10 movie' list(unfortunately haven't seen all of them yet ,but i will )
You Sydney and Styvisor did a great job with site like this,keep up great work.I found almost everything that I wanted here ,a lot of informations and other stuff about my fave actress Rebecca Liljeberg.
As far as I know there is no Dvd release here in Serbia & Montenegro(SCg)
or maybe I'm not so well informed?
I liked very much "FÅ five years later" script by Peter and just wonder when it'll be complitely finished.And is there any other fan fictions,I cannot find it.Please excuse for my bad english
Greetings to y'all ;)
amy_fa

Postby styvisor » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:30 pm

Hi Amy FA,

Welcome to the site. :D

You Sydney and Styvisor did a great job with site like this,keep up great work.I found almost everything that I wanted here ,a lot of informations and other stuff about my fave actress Rebecca Liljeberg.

Unfortunately I cannot take any credit for the site, and everything that is on it as it is Sydney's site 100%. But I will say that this is one of the most informative sites dedicated to Fucking Amal on the net. So give yourself a pat on the back Sydney, and have beer on me B).
styvisor
Crew Member

Postby sydney » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:42 pm

amy_fa wrote: As you see,I'm also new on this forum,and this is my first post here. Btw,Sydney,I like your top 10 movie' list(unfortunately haven't seen all of them yet  ,but i will )

Welcome Amy_fa! Congrates, your the 100th member of this site. :) Thanks for the remarks on the site. At this moment I am putting a page together with several pics of Rebecka Liljeberg in the movie Bear's kiss. As far as the top 10 is concerned, which films have you seen already? Paris, Texas has always been my no. 1 till I saw Fucking Åmål of course. ;) Have you seen Paris, Texas? Maybe it's an idea to have the top 10's of members on this site somehow. I will think about this. In the meantime you can always post your top 10.

As far as I know there is no Dvd release here in Serbia & Montenegro(SCg)

Yep, You are right. No DVD yet in Serbia & Montenegro. Not that I know off. Maybe you have seen the mailings to the English distributor on this site to try to get an English DVD release. Maybe people from S & M who would like to have FÅ on DVD could write to <a href='http://www.vans.org/' target='_blank'>Vans</a>, who released the Video in Serbia and Montenegro. But I do not think they are distributing DVD's, looking at their site.

I liked very much "FÅ five years later" script by Peter and just wonder when it'll be complitely finished.And is there any other fan fictions,I cannot find it.

Yep many people liked it. There is no finish yet to this story. Peter is member of this forum, maybe he would like to give an update. :)

@Styvisor
Unfortunately I cannot take any credit for the site, and everything that is on it as it is Sydney's site 100%. But I will say that this is one of the most informative sites dedicated to Fucking Amal on the net. So give yourself a pat on the back Sydney, and have beer on me

Not 100% btw. This site is made out of the information of 2 sites (showmelove.tv and fucking-amal.com). Thomas Stok was webmaster of showmelove.tv. I integrated his site in my site a few months ago. Credit and thanks from him also! :) And I will have that beer. Cheers! B)
Last edited by sydney on Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sydney

Postby mefunx » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:55 pm

just wanted to say hi, since i'm new around here, too...

yesterday få was broadcasted on austrian tv... and it's one of the most touching movies i've ever seen, that's for sure... maybe i'll post more later on... wanted to see it ever since its release 5 years ago, it never happened, until now... better late than never.

and so i'm here, looking for some info. on the several dvd-releases, for example. those two missing scenes on the german/austrian edition are a damn drawback. so i guess i'll have to go through the list again, to find an alternative. i know y'all dislike dubbing, but thing is, i don't want to rely on subtitles only, i'm looking for a version that's dubbed in a language i understand (which basically narrows it down to german and english), so that i get the full dialogue, plus all the scenes... which i might not get, it seems... what i don't understand is this... as far as i know, those deleted scenes were part of yesterdays broadcast (dubbed). so maybe i am a bit naive here, but why the hell didn't they put it on dvd? contractual reasons? money? pure ignorance? whatever.

all of this might have been answered a thousand times already, so never mind. movie is great.

later, peace,
mefunx
Last edited by mefunx on Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mefunx

Postby sydney » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:49 pm

Hi Mefunx,

It is really a mystery why they did not put all the scenes on the German/Austrian/Swiss DVD release. I am afraid that (if you would like to have a dubbed version) you can only get the German/Austrian one, excluded these scenes. :( The US version which is region free has subtitles but they are not removable and it is not dubbed. Let alone that there is no UK DVD version of fucking Åmål.

Maybe the solution lies within the purchase of the US DVD and taping the "Raus aus Åmål" rerun tonight on ORF 1. Then you would have a version with all the scenes, as you stated they were intact in the broadcast.

hej då,
sydney

Postby mefunx » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:46 pm

Sydney wrote:Maybe the solution lies within the purchase of the US DVD and taping the "Raus aus Åmål" rerun tonight on ORF 1. Then you would have a version with all the scenes, as you stated they were intact in the broadcast.

that's what i did, i taped it. i guess i'll purchase the german dvd anyways, as it comes with some special features missing on the us version. however, thanks for your reply. i appreciate it.

mefunx
mefunx

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)