Newcomer TOTALLY KNOCKED OUT

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Newcomer TOTALLY KNOCKED OUT

Postby Spain_1 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:49 pm

I've already posted this message as an answer, but afterwards I thought it would be good to have it as a topic. Sorry, at this moment I can't think properly.

Hi everybody,

I've just discovered the forum, thanks oeb, and I had a real need to comunicate with people like you.
I can't explain why, but just saw the film ten days ago and I can't think about anything else.....Is it normal?

It's complicated even to go to work.

Why have I suffered such an emotion?, It's great to know that I'm not alone.....:-). It's so frustrating to show that film to anybody else and receive a feedback like "a pretty love story....", beugh.

Maybe an explanation is that we identify with Agnes?, her character is so touching.........

Could anybody help????

When I will be able to calm down, I will try to give an explanation to all of that and comment the movie and what it means to me. At this moment, the only thing I can say is that an incredible protection instinct has grown for Agnes, maybe being a male getting in his thirty has something to do with that?.
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Postby droopy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:10 pm

It was same with me back in 1999, I was 16 and it was huge. I was three weeks like on drugs. Laying on bed, listening to whole 90min film sound (which I taped in cinema next time I was on that film) maybe every day. I didn't need to see it, I just imagined every scene with the help of just sound. I was lucky that happened to me during summer holiday. That three weeks I wasn't able to do absolutely nothing. Whole time thinking about Agnes and FÅ.

My advice is: Try to live throught it as deep as you can. Do nothing, take out holiday in your work, contemplate about it, watch it as much as you can, play the soundtrack as much as you can and ENJOY IT! IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN! It's one in a life time!

Of course you don't need to see it every day. I was on FÅ maybe three times during that three weeks, and then cinemas stops playing it, so I was left with just the taped sound. The contemplation was the main thing I was doing :)

After some time you'll be able to continue with life as before, but you'll never forget what Fucking Åmål once was for you.
Oh God, I'm still alive!
droopy

I Wish I could

Postby Spain_1 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:53 pm

Thank for your answer,
it has been a pleasure to know that other people have experienced the same feelings as me, beyond age, sex and sexual preferences.

Well, I'm pretty bad placed.......an urgent work to deliver tomorrow and It's f****#@¡¡¡¡ impossible to concentrate.

I have a regret concerning what you said,I have not been able to see the film on screens, got only the DVD. So I'm looking forwar to seeing it maybe in a future.

The question that's turning around in my head is.....what do we all have in common?, why there are people so strongly affected, while others just passe by (they may even think it's a good film, but that's all)?,
I've never seen that impact in a film or any other work of art (maybe there are a few books that have such a power), people all over the world that are touched so deep that it marks a starting point in their lives.

It's pretty complicated to share that feeling, you got it or not. I'm scared that if I try to make my wife or other friends see the only thing I'll get back is frustration and misunderstanding (I didn't mean to be dramatic, it's just they wont like the film the way I would like).

In the last week, as you....:-), I have seen the film over ten times and my favorite scenes, the dialogues that goes directly to your heart between Agnes and Elin.......well I just lost the count.
I've got the Swedish version, The Spanish, The USA, the BSO, and I'm searching for the Russian version as I have some friends there.

I identify with Agnes strongly, despite being a male, heterosexual and having some more friends at highschool, not so many either. Why?.
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Re: I Wish I could

Postby kant1781 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Spain_1 wrote:The question that's turning around in my head is.....what do we all have in common?, why there are people so strongly affected, while others just passe by (they may even think it's a good film, but that's all)? (...) It's pretty complicated to share that feeling, you got it or not. I'm scared that if I try to make my wife or other friends see the only thing I'll get back is frustration and misunderstanding (I didn't mean to be dramatic, it's just they wont like the film the way I would like).

It is not normal what you are experiencing, Spain_1. :wink: You're a headcase - like most people around here! :lol: Welcome! You have already noticed that FÅ unites a lot of different people, in this board especially. But I belong into your category, concerning gender, age, sexual orientation, situation (job, wife...). I can perfectly relate to just every single word you write, to your description of the situation at work in the first few weeks after the virus struck, the reaction you get from friends, and especially the ensuing questions: Am I weird? What is this thing doing to me? How should I ever explain this, even to the people with whom I share nearly everything else?
I do admire your will to find out answers to these questions. I tried to do the same thing last year. Please share your ideas with us here! There can't be too much debate on FÅ!
kant1781
Crew Member

thoughts #1, (uncomplete)

Postby Spain_1 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:09 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks everybody, I'm going to borrow another user’s expression because it reflects perfectly what I’m feeling now............It’s great to feel at home!!!.

I’ve read your comments about the film and they are pretty good, I’m not sure to be able to be as sharp as I would like in English, but I’ll make an effort.
I think it’s clear for everyone of us that there’s something beyond the quality of the film. No doubt it’s great, touching, real, but there’s something more.

It certainly feeds a feeling that grows from our empathy for the characters, from the possibility of recognizing ourselves into the movie. But there are other films, really good ones also, that make possible that recognition,..........maybe the explanation is that here we connect to that special stage of life?????. Is not any other film that can do that?.

Well, about the film, the first thing that amazed me, unlike other people, was music. There were groups I didn’t know but I could easily recognize the style of what I liked (and like) most, Husker Dü, Pixies,.....etc., music was not something like you see in other films that accompanies the film, it’s a part of it, is always in phase with what you’re supposed to feel, it’s natural and used with wisdom.....even that awful Foreigner’s that from now on I will not be able to look at with the same approach.
It’s certainly one of the most striking scenes I’ve ever seen, it’s as real as you could imagine, but I think that Moodysson is placed in your own half-real/half-unreal perception of the situation, raising the volume of the stereo to take up your emotion, is like if you are not seeing it, but imaging how it would have been and suddenly he brings you back to reality in a GREAT turn over opening the door. I find that way of playing with light really stunning, just the inside light who turns on and off when the door opens or closes, marking a border between real life and your emotional life, and the man who comes and goes with the light, this is the elder’s voice of reason, your conscience who brings you back to reality.

And I think this is all over the film, he takes you again and again from your inside life to the real outside world, and when it’s finished, you don’t really know where you are, leaving you the sensation that all that is real and at the same time you’ve been through it. Am I the only who wanted to take the phone after the film to call Agnes and Alexandra to go to a cinema, and realized I had not their number?......:-)

I’ve read your good comments and I found very interesting the theory of CJimy (sorry if I didn’t write the name properly) that a kind of irony underlies the film (Fellini is great), I hadn’t thought about that before and I’m not still sure about it.......what strikes me most of all is that love for his characters that underlies all over the film. Everyone of them. Johan is really touching and his love is sincere and honest, he lacks of self-security, but by his love he shows more courage than Elin, he is ready to go against the others’ perception, he doesn’t mind if the others think she is too young or a slut.

Sorry guys I have to go to work, I will continue this.
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Postby Ikeano » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:01 pm

I can so relate to you Spain1.
Last night I finally managed to download the movie. It had no English subtitles, but I watched it through anyway, and even though I couldn't understand a word, I could still relate to and understand what Agnes and Elin were going through because of Rebecca and Alexandra's simply superb acting. It brought beack the magic of this film I last saw 5 or 6 years ago when I was in a similar situation to Agnes in so far as being something of an outsider at school. Feeling totally out of place and being totally in love with a girl who didnt even notice me. Unfortunately, unlike Agnes, she never did notice me but its all good now!!
Theres something about this film that is special. Its appears to be a very rare,maybe unique quality. It gets inside your head and makes you think.
Thats what I think anyway! I never was much good at this sort of thing but its really nice to be among fellow FA lovers!
Ikeano

Postby Spain_1 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:57 am

Hi Fellows, It seems that I’m beginning to calm down....... :)

I did it too, Ikeano, I’ve seen the film in Swedish without subtitles and is even greater, the advantage is that by now, I know by memory the dialogues ...... :D . What drives me really CRAZY about their acting, are little details :T , I’m sure Moodysson has to do a lot about it.
I get mad when I see Alexandra running so awkwardly over her high heals over the bridge, so funny and delicious, or the way she looks at everybody going out of the toilet, but Rebecca, ¡Wow!, how she scratches her nose while she listens to the philosophical aspects of preparing O’boy, or her half smiles all over the film.....but the best, the stuff that could make melt a huge, huge, huge iceberg are her eyes. 8) :oops: :T :wink:
I don’t have to tell it to you, but I never saw eyes that expressive. Each time she is thinking about something, like for example if she should go to the party, she moves around her eyes in a way that a normal person can't remain untouched.
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Postby kant1781 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:27 pm

Spain_1 wrote:.....but the best, the stuff that could make melt a huge, huge, huge iceberg are her eyes. 8) :oops: :T :wink:
I don’t have to tell it to you, but I never saw eyes that expressive. Each time she is thinking about something, like for example if she should go to the party, she moves around her eyes in a way that a normal person can't remain untouched.

So true! Anyone sharing the screen with Rebecka runs the risk of appearing like a block of wood beside her (the most prominent victim being poor Sergej Bodrov jr. in "Bear's Kiss"). Less talented actors would have to roll on the floor, scream, sob and wring their hands in order to capture even a tenth of the emotions that shine from her eyes.

I think it’s clear for everyone of us that there’s something beyond the quality of the film. No doubt it’s great, touching, real, but there’s something more.

I think this is the point everybody who is in love with FÅ is asking him- or herself about. And everybody has to find his/her own answer what this "something" is. (I tried to find mine and write it down, as most people around here know too well :wink: If you've got a little time to spend, Spain, you might try out my www-link below. I'd be curious about your reaction...
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ikeano » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:42 pm

I totally agree. Rebecka is one of the finest actors I have ever seen. Its such a pity she is not doing films anymore. Fingers crossed that she may do something in the future!
I love the way Alexandra portrays Elin aswell. Her frustration and stubborn-ness and all round strong personality. She is so believable as Elin, as much as Rebecka is as Agnes. All in all, I could not think of two more perfect actors for the film.
I agree with kant1781 also. Everyone has to sort of figure out the meaning of this film for themselves. I have tried to write it down aswell but wasnt very successful. It means so much to me, but I wasnt able to put it into words. For me, that is part of the magic of FA.
Ikeano

you forgot your link kant1781

Postby Spain_1 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:49 am

:D I'm looking forward to seeing your site, but I need the link........ :wink:

I'm sorry for bear's kiss but at this moment I don't dare to see another film from Rebecca. I'm frightend of beeing disapointed......... :( , not by her of course.
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Re: you forgot your link kant1781

Postby kant1781 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:14 am

I'm sorry for bear's kiss but at this moment I don't dare to see another film from Rebecca. I'm frightend of beeing disapointed......... :( , not by her of course.

I'm afraid I have to say that you'd almost certainly be. (Not by her, of course!)

Spain_1 wrote::D I'm looking forward to seeing your site, but I need the link........ :wink:

It's listed in the bottom line of each of my posts ("www"), but no problem: http://people.freenet.de/what-its-all-about/

And I tend to agree with Ikeano... Rebecka is the actress that steals the film, but seen from a distance I think that Alexandra's performance considered as an achievement may be even an inch stronger.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ikeano » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:55 pm

Wow, Kant, I love your website!!n Hopefully I will get a chance to go through it in the next week!!

What do you guys think of Agnes's father Olof?? I dont know why, but I really like him. I think it is probably because he tries to connect with Agnes, tries to comfort her and impart his past experiences. He knows her situation of being the outsider. Their relationship reminds me of my relationship with my father when I was Agnes's age not so long, 3-4 years, ago. The way Agnes feels misunderstood and stuff.

Also it makes me think that I was probably a bit harsh on my parents when they tried to connect with me and I was not very receptive. This is just one other level on which I can relate to this movie. It is such an accurate account of teenage emotions and feelings
Ikeano

Chapeau!, mon ami.

Postby Spain_1 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:40 pm

I have to tell you two things, kant:
First, I relate to most of what you told in your site
Second, if you pass near Valencia, it would be a pleasure to sit with a couple of chocolate milkshakes and talk about life..... :D

Seriously, First of all I have to state something, as you said, this film is whatever you want but not a light hearted comedy. It’s maybe one of the deepest I’ve ever seen, the fact is that we’ve been taught that only being symbolic or serious we can be deep.

I have to admit myself being a dead romantic :oops: , a real one, someone who has always believed in the power of feelings against our own isolation.
Where I totally agree with you is in the theme of redemption by love. Agnes probably thought that old Patty Smith’s feeling “Jesus died for somebody else’s sins but not mines” but why can’t we better listen to Nick Lowe at someone’s side?. That need of redemption is what maybe gathers all us. There are two possible issues at the end of the film, “it feels great, I can also be saved” or “I have an uncomfortable sensation, have I missed something that I won’t ever get?”.

I think that I really have been redeemed by my wife, a Russian girl whom I offered a one way ticket to the south (“I kidnapped her” as my beloved revolutionary sweet heart likes to say), after having hitch hiked to my Stockholm (in fact it was called Paris) and being convinced that there we can be even more lost after six long years of uneasy living.
Books and music have been a refuge from the world for so long that I lost the view that we can’t escape, we’re condemned to live in.

This is what the film is all about, how to find your place and how it is possible only with the help of a friend.
But what it makes us be dragged by the force of the film, and get the deep feeling of our need of being redeemed, without being conscious of it (and that’s maybe the most important), is the incredibly accurate acting of the two girls. Their art is something sublime, if you want to pick up signatures to convince Rebecca and Alexandra that they should go back to work, just make me a sign.

What I would like you to develop, is what you call irony in Moodysson’s look. I only see a straight loving look to the world, like someone said about Donovan, he’s a good guy and you can see it in its work.

There is something that leaves me a little confused, and I take that as a cultural difference. Coming from a southern country, I seem not to have the same perception on the “suicide” scene. Maybe here life seems less tragic, but I cannot take seriously that attempt, most of all by the fact that Agnes is intelligent enough to realize that a razorblade is not an effective way of killing herself......that does not dismiss the misery of Agnes feelings, you know it really hurts, but I think that she’s more playing with the romantic idea of suicide than committing a real one. Other viewers coming from countries where the tax of suicides is much higher than in Spain seem to take it much more seriously than I.......anyway it steals nothing to the atmosphere of the scene.

I’ve been amazed by your quote to Thomas Mann, as in my youth years, the shock received by Mann’s Magic Mountain (one of the strongest in my life, and I think is time to give it the second complete reading it deserves) was something that is as complicated to describe as the one received by FA. And the amazing idea that both shocks are related is turning over my head, as the book talks in a certain way about the feeling of finding a refuge and lost yourself outside the world and out of time, about a quest and a travel that can either save you or destroy you.

Lkeano, I didn’t forget you, yes to me father Olof too is someone very touching. Even if my father adored me, is not at all his kind. First of all, is clear that father Olof has passed through all of it and he wants to relieve his daughter’s sufferings but the barrier settled by age is much too strong. He is sweet, nearly the embodiment of how a father should be, but Moodysson also shows us his weaknesses, knowing what he should do he is not able to stand against his wife who is incapable to understand her daughter’s position.
The communication problem at that stage is something very complicated to avoid, and it is fed of the misunderstandings and little betrayals of everyday life. How could you trust someone who thinks that what is most important in your life is not as important as his own problems?.

Well, I’ve talked too much, and in Spain we say : who too much talks, too much stupid things says.........:-) :lol:

And maybe, after all, Moodysson is thinking as Thomas Mann once said, "est-ce possible que j'aie tellement d'esprit?".
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Postby JimmyC » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:47 am

Hey! I don't log on for a couple of weeks and look what we have here? Very interesting thread, and I am glad there are more newbies like me. I wonder if there will ever stop being new converts to this film, it seems like people are discovering it all the time.

I also think that there is something special about this movie (obviously) which is really hard to pinpoint. I am glad you mentioned that fear of recommending it to someone and them not liking it quite as much as you do. I can totally relate! I loved this film so much that my natural reaction was to recommend it wholeheartedly to everybody I knew. But at the same time I didn't... I just kept it to myself and to people who I know already like it (like you guys, online)... because if they turned out not to like it as much as I did, they would think I was totally crazy. And I would be very dissappointed in them too. haha

Anyway, what is that "special something" that makes this film so good? Is it the redemptive quality? Is it the time-period that it takes us back to? The heightened emotions of being a teenager? The great acting, the lovability of the characters? I think it's a combination of all of these things as well as a certain ineffable something. Also, I think that the technical aspects of the film (thanks for mentioning the light as a sort of real world/personal world divider in that scene, very well put!) makes this one of the most absorbing films I've seen... what I mean is that most of the time when I'm watching a movie, even if I really like it, I'm still very concious that I am watching a movie. For this movie, at least the first time I watched it, I was totally THERE, INSIDE the movie. The mood was so perfect and everything was so relatable and real to me.

Anyway, I should go to bed now. Looking forward to more crazy discussions of this movie.

~j
JimmyC

Re: Muchas gracias, amigo.

Postby kant1781 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Spain_1 wrote:Where I totally agree with you is in the theme of redemption by love. Agnes probably thought that old Patty Smith’s feeling “Jesus died for somebody else’s sins but not mines” but why can’t we better listen to Nick Lowe at someone’s side?

Ha, this is amazing! I have always connected Patti with FA, but in a slightly different way! To me, GLORIA is Elin's song. (I even have the blueprint for a video in mind combining the song with images from the film.) Because there is this development in the song, like in the film. The line "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" appears twice, once in the beginning, once in the end. But to me, it has a different meaning in the two cases. Let me explain:
In the beginning, it is just an expression of frustration. Most of the lines of the first verses from GLORIA fit Elin's feelings perfectly, some are nearly quotations:
people say "beware!"
but I don't care
the words are just
rules and regulations to me

Just think of Christian's party here:
I-I walk in a room, you know I look so proud
I'm movin' in this here atmosphere, well, anything's allowed
and I go to this here party and I just get bored

but then
until I look out the window, see a sweet young thing
humpin' on the parking meter, leanin' on the parking meter
oh, she looks so good, oh, she looks so fine
and I got this crazy feeling and then I'm gonna ah-ah make her mine

And in the end, the song expresses the feelings of Elin's leap of faith, how she moves out of "Amal", away from the girls she has called her friends so far, to unite with Agnes and transform her life (think of the icehockey scene and the following scenes here, right until the last):
I was at the stadium
There were twenty thousand girls called their names out to me
Marie and Ruth but to tell you the truth
I didn't hear them I didn't see
I let my eyes rise to the big tower clock
and I heard those bells chimin' in my heart
going ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong.
ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong
counting the time,
then you came to my room
and you whispered to me,
and we took the big plunge
and oh, you were so good, oh, you were so fine
and I gotta tell the world that I make her mine make her mine

So in fact the song does end with redemption, just like the film! The tower bells have chimed, and we do sing gloria! So when the line with which the song started appears again, it is not the expression of angst, but of a very cool cheer of confidence and joy: We have found redemption, but - well, not through the church. We don't depend on somebody telling us that somebody died for us in order to know who we are.
Gloria, Gloria, Gloria, Gloria
and the tower bells chime, "ding dong" they chime,
they're singing, Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine.

A - G - N - E - S ! 8)

(Oh well, don't bother to tell me that I am crazy. I know! Headcases all over the place!) :T :wink:

(I'll be back with something on the irony...)
kant1781
Crew Member

Next

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)