Newcomer TOTALLY KNOCKED OUT

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby andreyvit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Feb 06, 2008, wow! Something new is going on here, and I did not notice.

A nice thing is how much I feel being at home with all the people on this forum. So good to come back here. Amazing.
Andrey.
andreyvit

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:10 am

It is very nice - and very reassuring - to know You Are Not Alone, isn't it? That this movie means as much to other people as it does to you.

And - cough, for me anyway , cough - to know you're not the only one worshipping the ground Rebecka walks on.

:wink: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby andreyvit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:49 pm

It is very nice - and very reassuring - to know You Are Not Alone, isn't it? That this movie means as much to other people as it does to you.

Yep. It is a huge pleasure to talk to people who feel the same strong feeling about the same thing.
Andrey.
andreyvit

Postby kant1781 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:31 am

andreyvit wrote:Yep. It is a huge pleasure to talk to people who feel the same strong feeling about the same thing.

Oh yeah... All those people who ask themselves: what the hell are we doing here?
Vi är fan inte kloka i hovudet... :T
Men vi är så jävla coola!!! :lol: :lol:
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby hcd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:02 pm

After some time you'll be able to continue with life as before

Watch "Les diables!" (aka "The Devils") and that feeling will come back.
hcd
Faithfull Member

Postby eric » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 pm

I still haven't made up my mind about, what makes this film so special. But there is a scientific study/article that is mentioned on the english Wikipedia article. Has anybody read that yet? Is it available online?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Me_Love_(film)#_ref-9

The official website of JTD seems rather incomplete.
http://research.haifa.ac.il/~theatre/jtd08.html
eric

Postby kant1781 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Interesting! I didn't know about that article! I will order it immediately and try to make it available here if I can. Could take three weeks or so however.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby mpox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:39 pm

So I guess this is where I come in to say I just saw the film and how great it was? I'd never heard of it and just grabbed it on a lark (via a torrent, but I'll buy it soon) and then forgot about it for a bit and eventually remembered it and watched it.... so good.

Even better to find there's still a community after 10 years (!) and I can talk about it and find some of the great resources people have put together. :)
mpox
Gold Member

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:34 am

Yeah, it is pretty remarkable for a small film to still have such a passionate following a decade on.

Pretty remarkable film, though, so I guess that tracks. :D
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Maybe you can say that it has become a cult movie in recent years?

It started out as a surprise mainstream mega-hit (at least in some countries), something that probably can't last forever for a film of this kind.

But now it has found it's true place in cinematic history as a relatively unknown little gem, with a hardcore fan-following instead?
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:21 am

A cult yes, a relatively unknown gem of European independent filmmaking too, but at the same time - surprisingly - a thing that gets lots of (so to speak) "official" recognition as a film that especially young people should see. After all, Fucking Åmål is officially included in school curricula in quite a few countries - I know of Germany and Denmark. The British Film Institute - blessed this wise and gifted nation - ranked it in the Top 10 of a list of films that every young adult should have seen (along such classics as "Les 400 coups" and "The Wizard of Oz").
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:35 am

Really? I never knew that. That's really cool.

You can't beat the British for good taste.

:wink:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby kant1781 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 pm

Well, cool it... I forgot to mention that "Toy Story" and "E.T." are on the list too... :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4699393.stm
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby fraks » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Fucking Åmål is officially included in school curricula in quite a few countries - I know of Germany and Denmark.

Please give the references to the source of this information.
I can not place this fact in Wikipedia citing on this forum, need the more independent sources.

Certainly interests not only Germany and Danmark. The other country - too.
fraks
Silver Member

Postby kant1781 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:35 am

I expressed myself rather carelessly: "officially included" is wrong - "officially recommended" is the fitting way to express it. In Germany, the "Institute for Cinema and Film Culture" (Institut für Kino und Filmkultur) is assigned the task (by the Ministries of Education of various German "Länder" (states) and by the so-called Federal Agency for Political Education) of recommending films to teachers for inclusion in their courses and of preparing teaching materials for them. FÅ is on their list.
http://www.film-kultur.de/partner.html
(The same task in Denmark has been carried out by the Danish Film Institute:http://www.dfi.dk/dfi/undervisning/aamaal/index.html)
The Senator for Education of the state of Berlin has published guidelines, recommendations and material for teachers teaching on gay/lesbian rights, and FÅ is recommended on that list too:
http://www.berlin.de/imperia/md/content/lb_ads/gglw/veroeffentlichungen/lesbische_und_schwule_lebensweisen.pdf
So it's not that every German kid would have to watch FÅ, and I didn't want to make it look like that. But the film is, so to speak, officially recognized and recommended for use in school by teachers.
kant1781
Crew Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)