Favourite Swedish bits

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Favourite Swedish bits

Postby kant1781 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:36 am

Spain_1 wrote:Just imagine the scene, Alexandra comes to you in her red little t-shirt (not the grown Alexandra of the end of the film, the first one, the childish), she half smiles as she was ashamed, then with a tiny little voice she says, “gentle lkeano, would you be so kind to kill my mean husband...........snälla?”, I wouldn’t bet a penny for her husband.
Have you noticed the power of that snälla?, it is not a single “please”. You have to elongate the first “ä” and push on the “l”, like “snäääLLa”. You would practice a lifetime you wouldn’t reach such a power.
She uses four times in the film that snälla, the fourth time she repeats it three times (at the entrance of the toilet) because she’s grown up and she has lost some of its power. But the first three are irresistible, and in fact nobody is able to stand it. The first one is used to convince Jessica to go to Agnes’, and we can imagine how it is to be for Jessica to go there. The second time breaks Agnes’ resistance to sit at Elin’s side. The third time, the most powerful one, is used to oblige Agnes to go to the party, from where they have called her a few minutes earlier to hurt her severely......but that one, that “let’s go to the party......... “snäääLLa””, just turn off all subtitles, go to that scene and test over you its Swedish power. I think that we would have burnt the house down without any problem.

I love your science of snälla...! :D This is great. Let's collect some more of this. Here's my two favourite "No!"s from the film.

First: Elin to Jessica, on the playground, after Jessica has told Elin to step down from the "A-brunn" and started to list all her future calamities ("Acne, Abort, Arbetslös, Analsex..."). And Elin just scratches around on the drain cover with her foot and scoffs: "Abort?.... Arbetslös?... Analsex?... Neeejjjj.... jag känner inget! Inget analsex!" Now she starts this Nej harmlessly, like she was humming, but suddenly she lets it crash down two octaves before she playfully pulls it up again like a jet fighter after a nose-dive. It is impossible to inject more aggression, mockery and superior irony into a single syllable. (And if after one of her "Snälla"s you'd be ready to kill anybody she asks you to, after this "Nej" you'd be ready to kill yourself if you were its object.)

Second: Agnes, to Victoria in the latter one's room, when she tries to apologize to her and just has said that watching the "wheelchair game" ("Baskett!!!") had not been the most boring thing she ever did in her life. "Why did you say it then", asks Victoria, and Agnes answers: "I don't know" ("Jag vet inte."). "You don't know?" ("Du vet inte?"), Victoria asks back, incredulously and somehow mischievously. Whereupon Agnes, in a way that might make ice melt and which happens only in that scene, bites her lips and squeezes a soundless, helpless and exhausted little "Nejjjj...." through her teeth. All her strength and her fragility lie side by side in this one word...
kant1781
Crew Member

Go on

Postby Spain_1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:15 am

I think that, in my case, in this section, my adored "RebeCCa" ......... :D will not be highly represented as she is a miracle of introspective acting and we are talking about something elsewhere.....so I’ll talk about Alexandra...... :wink:

Who wants to talk about her roars? .... (I certainly will soon)

Or to give some opportunity to Agnes?, JimmyC, would you develop that “Hallå?” you’re in love with?.... :Y
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Elin.......

Postby Spain_1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:14 pm

I have to confess my net preference for the childish Elin from the beginning of the film. Her acting is superb all over the movie, and most of all how she transforms in front of our eyes. Maybe the second half of the film shows us a more mature and solid actress, but she can’t compete against the fresh egoism of that little blonde bomb on high heels, she could drive crazy a Buddhist monk... :-). Be sincere to you, who at her age could think about anything else apart the satisfaction of her or his own needs and desires?.

In any case, here a chosen collection from my best of Alexandra’s bits:

1rst and indisputable place:

Snälla.

2nds places all together:

At the same level of her “Nej”, are her “Jo”s, watch the scene where she wants to get high, she’s lovely. Sweet frustrated child.

Men jag vill knarka! ...... no comment

Roars................. Which is the best one?

Det är bara för att du bor i fucking Åmål! .... in fact I could put here all their conversation over the bridge.

This is meaningless, girls and guys, I’m not able to chose, I will finish writing all the script.
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Re: Elin.......

Postby kant1781 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Spain_1 wrote:Roars................. Which is the best one?

Easy for me :lol: :

[ELEVATOR]

ELIN: Jag är så jävla snygg!!!! ("I am so fucking pretty!")

JESSICA: Tror du? ("Do you think so?")

ELIN: Åååååååågggghhh!
kant1781
Crew Member

Swedish

Postby Spain_1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:54 am

Hey Kant181, have you already learned swedish.........!!!?!??? :wink:
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Sorry

Postby Spain_1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Sorry Kant, I've stolen 1600 of whatever it is form you............................ :lol:
Spain_1
Faithfull Member

Re: Swedish

Postby kant1781 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Spain_1 wrote:Hey Kant181, have you already learned swedish.........!!!?!??? :wink:

Naaaaa..... :oops: But on the other hand, well, sort of. :wink:
If you're a German speaker, and you get to watch a certain film like two dozen times and read its script like two dozen times, English, German and Swedish side by side, it's quite amazing what happens. I don't speak any Swedish, but I think I can translate simple texts now...
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Alyson » Mon May 12, 2008 2:33 am

Spain_1 wrote:
...then with a tiny little voice she says, “gentle lkeano, would you be so kind to kill my mean husband...........snälla?”, I wouldn’t bet a penny for her husband.

kkkkkkkk You´re SO right!!! :D It isn´t just a snälla, it´s THE SNÄÄÄLLA”. We get completely helpless after it :)
Alyson

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)