Does fan-fic ruin anything for you?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Does fan-fic ruin anything for you?

Postby JimmyC » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:41 am

Hey,

I'm conflicted because part of me really wants to read all the FA fan-fic out there and part of me is afraid: #1 that things will not turn out the way I want them to or #2 that if they didn't turn out the way I want but was very convincing and I would forever have that storyline in my head, or it would affect how I viewed the characters or the original movie etc. and #3 maybe part of me is afraid some of it would be really poorly written and dissappointing. (no offense to anyone because:

... I have not (as yet) read any of the fan-fic.)

Do y'all ever have this dillemma? It's like I'm afraid some continuation of the story by someone other than Moodysson, and it didn't turn out as good as the original, that it would somehow dampen the effect of the original.

~j.
JimmyC

Postby Kolya » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:17 pm

I think the story of the film was so memorable because you liked it. If you don't like a fanfic it won't get "stuck in your head".
After all it's just how someone else imagined the story to continue and it shouldn't invalidate your own musings.
Kolya
Gold Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:36 pm

I started reading the fanfiction as quickly as I could reach a computer after watching the movie, in an attempt to stop my craving for more ... it's the thing I hate/fear most when watching/reading something I really really like : the fact that the story stops. Fanfiction (which is sometimes great sometimes abysmal - I'm happy to say that all fanfic I read for FA certainly did not belong with the second category) is the only way to read more about the characters/people we love!
Eagle

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:25 pm

I think Peter Svenssons "Fucking Åmål-Five Years Later" is really sweet, well written and ties in great with the film!

I'm glad they didn't do a sequel to this unique film, I don't think it would have worked, but this fan-fiction was a joy to read and you can easily picture the girls and the scenes in your head.

This short story is a perfect conclusion I think, and even if we don't get to know how it all really ends, the message is that they still have feelings for each other even after many years :)
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:33 am

Of course I also know that someone continued Peter Svenssons story, but I think this was unnecessary and not so well written, and it didn't have a proper ending either.

If someone were to continue his first story it should have been himself and not somebody else.

The other fan-fiction stories are so-so I think.

To me Svenssons story is by far the best that has been written, and the ending here is quite enough, we really don't need any more details.

The love between Agnes and Elin is still there and this is all that matters!

Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:39 am

I am generally positive about fan fiction ... if it's well done of course. (If it's a disgrace to the original story and characters, of course it should be ignored.) I think the reason that eagle noted here more than a year ago is right: Writing fanfics is like discussing and theorizing about the characters. It's a way of interpreting them, developing them, trying to find out what is missing in their original characterization. (And no characterization in an original film or book is ever complete.) It doesn't have to be a sequel. It can be a prequel, and it can add things and moments to the characters that we don't get to see in the film, providing background. If seen in that way, I really like it that there can be different versions and ideas (that is, different interpretations) about the characters and what they may have done or may do next. It's clear that we all have different tastes and ideas and that some may like certain stories better than others, while others' preferences are exactly the opposite. But that's okay! I only regret that there isn't more Fucking Åmål fan fiction out there, and I think none of it is unnecessary.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby andreyvit » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:16 pm

kant1781, just wanted to say hi, since this is the most recent topic. :) I still love FA, and great to know you all are still here too.

And I second your "I only regret that there isn't more Fucking Åmål fan fiction out there".
Andrey.
andreyvit

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)