Fucking Amal vs. Show Me Love

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby f5i5v5e » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:08 am

Is there any difference between the original Swedish version (Fucking Amal) or the English version (Show Me Love)?
f5i5v5e

Postby sydney » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:39 am

f5i5v5e wrote: Is there any difference between the original Swedish version (Fucking Amal) or the English version (Show Me Love)?

There are no seperate versions of fucking Åmål. The only difference is the title. Fucking Åmål is used in a lot of European countries. The title "Show me love" is used in the UK, USA and Canada for example.
sydney

Postby professionalinamal » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:35 pm

To be honest, I would have liked the movie to be released as "Love Is Love" or "Agnes & Elin" for the US/UK markets. Oh, well.
professionalinamal

Postby styvisor » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:11 pm

To be honest, I would have liked the movie to be released as "Love Is Love" or "Agnes & Elin" for the US/UK markets. Oh, well.

Hi professionalinamal,

I'd have to disagree with you on the "Love is Love" being a good movie title, but "Agnes & Elin" would've been a much better movie title than "Show Me Love"... B)

It would've been cool if they had released the movie with its original Swedish title in both America and the UK, just to see how far it could push the boundries :lol: .
styvisor
Crew Member

Postby Tsargrad » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:32 am

I certainly would have prefered the title Fucking Amal on the DVD release, but unfortunately wasn't to be.

A shame it still hasn't been released on DVD here in Australia. Asking the distributor when they will do so, really makes them reply angrily too...
Tsargrad

Postby sydney » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:31 am

Tsargrad wrote: Asking the distributor when they will do so, really makes them reply angrily too...

They replied angrily?! I guess it was just a normal question of when the DVD will be released and if not, why not! That's no reason to get angry imho. Can you say what they replied?
sydney

Postby absoluted » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:50 am

I used to prefer the title "Fucking Åmål", but over time have come to like "Show Me Love" better. I think "Show Me Love" better represents the themes and 'feel' of the movie. I still refer to it as "Fucking Åmål", though, since that is its actual title.
absoluted

Postby musicluver990 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:33 am

I think I'd prefer "Show Me Love" over "Fucking Amal" if I was buying the movie, especially if I was with my mom haha. Americans aren't so open-minded, so "Agens & Elin" wouldn't be good either. Me and my Swedish friend always use the word "fuck" with each other! I mean, we're both foreign (me beign Croatian) and we don't see the badness of "fuck." lol. Anyway, I prefer "Show Me Love"
<i>The only one I love, she was a superstar.</i>
musicluver990
Faithfull Member

Postby LOL2 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:42 pm

i saw the swedish version and i think this the best version....
the original movie is always the best
LOL2

Postby thebestomonaco » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:26 pm

Yes,the original'version is the best.
We can hear alexandra when she holws her despair.
With the french'version,these holws aren't the same,and they loose their spell
thebestomonaco

Postby LOL2 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:51 pm

In the english version its dubbed for english or there is subtitles?
LOL2

Postby Giod » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:41 pm

for me the orginal version is alwasys the best becose i can't stant it whan something is dudded so i always watch the orginal version even when it is in japanese or somthing like that
Warom wonen we dan ook in dat Fucking klote Åmål
Giod

Postby Bomberpilot » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:48 pm

I like "Fucking Amal" more, it's just such an usual title, I love it.

BTW, in Germany it's called "Raus aus Amal", which means in English: "Out of Amal".
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Life is great, without it you'd be dead!</span></span></span>
Bomberpilot
Gold Member

Postby Sphinx » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:26 pm

In this case I have to say that Poland did a great thing..simply not translating it at all.Usually the translations mean completely different things f.ex. You all know "Dirty Dancing"...it was translated to polish as "wirujacy sex" which means "swirl sex"...funny isn't it!Fucking Amal is just perfect :P
"Teach me passion for I fear it's gone. Show me love, hold the lorn. So much more I wanted to give to the ones who love me. I'm sorry. Time will tell (this bitter farewell). I live no more to shame nor me nor you. And you...I wish I didn't feel for you anymore..."
Sphinx
Crew Member

Postby Bomberpilot » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:50 pm

Sphinx wrote: In this case I have to say that Poland did a great thing..simply not translating it at all.Usually the translations mean completely different things f.ex. You all know "Dirty Dancing"...it was translated to polish as "wirujacy sex" which means "swirl sex"...funny isn't it!Fucking Amal is just perfect :P

I rembember in Poland that they literally translated EVERY filmtitle into Polish. :lol:
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Life is great, without it you'd be dead!</span></span></span>
Bomberpilot
Gold Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)