GREATEST MOVIE EVER? :)

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

GREATEST MOVIE EVER? :)

Postby Jenslyn1987 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:11 am

Hey everyone,

I'm a 20 year old male from Denmark who wanted to come and say hi and disciss this movie. I hope this forum doesn't totally die :)

Isaw Fucking Åmål/Show Me Love some years ago and I remembered it as a very good movie. I rented the movie again yesterday and instantly ordered it after I finished. It's truly an amazing tale that's hard not to fall in love with. I'm finding that the characters have extreme amounts of emotinal integrity and just plain old likability which helps to make this movie stand out from the crowd. I've seen many good Swedish movies but this one takes the cake hands down.

I find myself thinking about it all the time and how I - somehow - want to be in that world instead of my own. To my surprise I've seen several like-minded people in here. On some level it actually frustrates me that it's not real, which is more than I can say about any other movie I've ever seen. It really isn't healthy for me :O

While the movie was extremely good and a joy to watch, I almost wish I hadn't in some sense. It's on my mind constantly now. I also ordered Lilja 4-ever just to see if this movie has some of the same traits to it as Fucking Åmål.

Truly I don't think any movie has touched me more emotinally and that in itself probably makes it the greatest movie I have ever seen. The identification I feel with the main character is beyond my understanding even though her problems aren't exactly the same as my own.

How do you all feel about this? Do you have the same thougts as I did?

Jenslyn1987

Postby fraks » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:56 am

Hej.

Lilja4ever - quite other cinema, than FA.
Recommend to look "Bear kiss" with Rebecka - it has more general with FA.
fraks
Silver Member

Postby Jenslyn1987 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:28 pm

fraks wrote:Hej.

Lilja4ever - quite other cinema, than FA.
Recommend to look "Bear kiss" with Rebecka - it has more general with FA.

Hej!

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definetly look it up. Take care in big Russia =)
Jenslyn1987

Postby fraks » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 am

fraks
Silver Member

Postby Jenslyn1987 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks again :)
Jenslyn1987

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Fucking Åmål is at least the greatest love story on film ever!

As one magazine wrote when the film came out in 1998, "Agnes and Elin are the cutest couple ever in the history of swedish cinema" :)

Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Jenslyn1987 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:20 am

Watched it again with a friend today. He also thought the movie was very good!

It does need some more extra material though like video interviews and stuff!
Jenslyn1987

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Jenslyn1987 wrote:
It does need some more extra material though like video interviews and stuff!

You're right there's not much extras on the DVD.

But it's a small film that nobody realized would become so successful and big.

So maybe we don't need a lot of talking about the production, maybe this little wonderful film should just speak for itself? :)
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:06 am

Hej Jenslyn and Agnes&Elin-forever!
It's nice to see some people here who have some ideas to share. This forum is not completely dead, but I think many members have gone into some kind of hibernation. At least that is the case for me. I am a regular visitor and ready to take up discussion any time. But there has to be a critical mass of people contributing. And there have to be new people coming up with new ideas and new topics. I have probably said something in most of the old threads there are, and I have the stupid feeling of repeating myself if I have to talk about the same topics again. Also, I am here to discuss Fucking Åmål (and other Moodysson films), not, for example, the Eurovision Song Contest...
It's funny how these kinds of communities work. When I came onto the scene in 2004, there were three forums all of which were very much alive. That was 6 years after the film's premiere, and still 4-5 years after the passing of the first great wave of Fucking Åmål-related webpages in 2001. So the people who were there were at least the second or third generation of FÅ-lovers. In the last two years, the old community has faded away - but why are there no new generations coming up? I wish I had an explanation for that.
I really liked your description, Jenslyn, what watching Fucking Åmål can do to you. (You know, the feeling that it's not healthy - the funny suspicion that this should not happen to you as a grown-up person.) As you may have noticed, we had a discussion about this between some members who were all around 30 years old, had a job, a career, a family - which is why I can also relate very well to you, Agnes&Elin forever! It felt good to see that this happened to other people as well, and it is good again to see that.
Sometimes, I must say, I can hardly understand it. When I look back at it, I see that there was this one year in my life (from autumn 2004 until summer 2005) when Fucking Åmål was everywhere in my life and when I spent half a year to think and write about it, and hardly about anything else. I still have no idea how this came about and why it happened just then (for, exactly like Agnes&Elin forvere, I had known the film before). Then, in the summer of 2006, it slowly faded. 2007 was a terrible year in which I had no time for anything that is dear to me, and I think I didn't watch the film at all that year. Now that I'm back here, I feel that I should like to see it and see how that feels. I don't think that it will make me that lovesick again. I imagine that it now feels like meeting the girl of your dreams from the time you were 17 now that you're both grown old and have settled for different lives, but still remember and enjoy the thought that for a while, there was no greater love than this.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 am

Hej kant, välkommen tillbaka!

Which were the three forums that existed in 2004?

Do you know if there were any people from Sweden who posted on any of these forums?

PS.
I think you could still love this film

Maybe when you least expect it you'll fall in love again with Agnes and Elin :wink:
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:54 am

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Hej kant, välkommen tillbaka!

Tack! :)

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:I think you could still love this film

I do... I do! Just in a different way than I did three years ago.

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:Which were the three forums that existed in 2004? Do you know if there were any people from Sweden who posted on any of these forums?

Well, this one of course, which is the only one that is at least minimally being used at the moment. (Back then, it used to be part of fucking-amal.com, a site that went offline but was revived by droopy last year:
http://fucking-amal.droopy.sk/
Then, the rebecka-liljeberg.com-Forum, which also went offline and was also revived by droopy:
http://rebecka.droopy.sk/
And thirdly, the alexandra-dahlstrom.com-Forum which still stands but has seen better days (and always was the smallest of the three):
http://www.alexandra-dahlstrom.com/forum/

As far as I can tell, there were fans from Sweden in all the three forums, but they never formed a considerable group, let alone the majority. (Peter Svensson, of course, was a regular contributor to rebecka-liljeberg.com, where he published the 5-years-later script. But I think he was one of only very few Swedes there.) Membership in all the three forums was/is international, with a small focus on the English and German speaking countries, and, for some reason, on the Netherlands and Belgium. But of course, people from France, Spain, Italy, South America and everywhere too.
kant1781
Crew Member

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)