Agnes&Elin today?

Discuss Lukas Moodysson's first feature film Fucking Åmål (Show me Love).

Moderator: Ian

Postby kant1781 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:57 pm

loney wrote:but maybe one day she'll want a break from her med student/mother role and give acting a chance again?? as for moodysson..his films get more and more inaccessible.. so for old times sake maybe he should write FA2 script :D

Let's pray for that day! _O_

And cody, you should watch Moodysson's other stuff too! "Lilya 4-ever" is a masterpiece, and "Tillsammans" is a beautiful film too. Both completely different than Fucking Åmål, but well worth seeing.

His last two films "A Hole in My Heart" and "Container" are indeed "inaccessible", as loney says. (Although I did in fact find "A Hole in My Heart" fascinating - as I explained in a post on this forum in the relevant thread). However, shooting for Moodysson's newest project, which will have two marvellous lead stars, Michelle Williams and Gael Garcia Bernal, has just been completed, and is supposed to be his comeback to mainstream cinema! I still believe in him.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:59 pm

codyw1 wrote:Yeah, it doesn't look like she's even been on the site since November. Hope she hasn't given it up entirely...it would seem to be the only chance to see her nowadays! :cry:

And, guys, it's probably superfluous to say that, and don't get me wrong, but be sensible with that website... :wink: If it gets flooded by people trying to get in touch with her or sending her flowers, all that will happen is that it will be taken down.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:01 am

codyw1 wrote:Anyone know if Rebecka and Alexandra are still friends, by the way?

A perennial question. :lol: The answer, very sadly, has been the same for years: They are not, and very probably have never been. (There was a time when I knew every interview Rebecka and Alexandra ever gave by heart. I do not any more, so I can't give you the sources for what I say here just now, but if you want to know absolutely, I could look it up.) If you look at what the two said, even back in 1998/1999, that really leaves no question: In a 1998 interview that was conducted with each of the two separately, both clearly stated that they did not hung out together privately and that they were not close friends. Both referred to the age difference between them as a reason for this. In a 1999 chat with fans, Rebecka answered the same question again with a very clear "No". And, apart from wishful thinking, this is what one would expect. They were 14 and 17 at the time that Fucking Åmål was shot. This tends to be forgotten, since there is just a one-year difference between their characters in the film, and furthermore, it's rather Alexandra who looks older on screen. In fact, she was three years younger than Rebecka (who was alreday living on her own then) and, in a way, really a kid. Three years is like ages in that age, as we all know.

The really interesting question is: If the answer is that clear (which, I'm afraid, it is), why does the question pop up again and again?

I think there are two reaons:

First, if you read the interviews the two gave at the very beginning of their success, both Rebecka and Alexandra somehow toyed around with the idea of meshing their film characters and their real lives. For example, they declared that they couldn't rule out that they were bisexual and, above all, that they had liked kissing each other. The result of this, of course, seems to have been a lot of sensationalist speculation in the media. The result obviously were more and more questions about their private relationship. You can witness this, for example, on the recording of the Berlin 1999 press conference. Rebecka later referred to the questions at that conference especially as "creepy". (Which isn't altogether fair, I must say, because the girls had really fuelled this kind of question with their interviews.) Maybe that was the reason why, after approximately one year (in later 1999), they changed their policy. They now stressed that they had liked working with each other, but that they were in the first place colleagues, not personal friends, let alone lovers. Later that year Rebecka (in that chat with fans) answered to the ever-same question how it was to kiss Alexandra: “Did I like it... No I didn't especially like it...I am not in love with Alexandra and it's never fun to kiss someone that you aren't in love with but it wasn't so harmful”. But maybe it was already too late then.

The second, and more obvious reason is: We just want it to be the case, in a way. It is just an ingredient of the sheer magic of Fucking Åmål that we cannot believe that this is JUST A MOVIE. Because it doesn't feel like one. It's like Morgan Miller in his wonderful review of the film said in 2000: "Having viewed the film three times on the big screen, I must confess that "Fucking Amal/Show Me Love" has a life all its own. Liljeberg and Dahlstrom give performances that are not only super realistic, but also genuine. Upon leaving the theater each time, I find it absolutely impossible to believe that Agnes and Elin are fictional characters that do not exist. It's a heartbreaking thought and I just refuse to believe it." And so do we. We yearn for the thought that it's not just over any time the credits start to roll. Unfortunately, reality is no consolation here. We have to face it...
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:38 am

No I don't think they were friends, and the age thing was probably a major factor, just like Kant says.

This doesn't mean they disliked each other, I've never heard anything about this, just that their relationship was more of a professional one.

But of course everybody wanted their on-screen love story to have some truth in real life when the film became such a hit, and you can't blame them for playing along a little bit in interviews at first, I think.

Nowadays they live completely different lives as you understand.

EDIT: Alexandra however is nowadays friends with the Moodysson family, and has also been involved with some of his films in behind-the-camera work.
Last edited by Agnes&Elin Forever! on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Agnes&Elin Forever! » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:55 am

kant1781 wrote:
Agnes&Elin Forever wrote:She attended Stockholm FilmFestival at that time with her short movie Lacrimosa which she had directed herself.

:shock: Now that is interesting! Look at this, once or twice in a year we do get a real piece of news in here after all :wink: !
Thanks a lot for this! Google says that she did receive an "honorable mention" for the film. Is there any way of getting to see it or at least clips?

Glad to be of help :)

I don't know if it will be possible to see Alexandra's film, I'll try to find some more information about this.

She also said in a Swedish newspaper at the time that she is still always associated to Fucking Åmål by media in Sweden, she said it's a beautiful film but she wants to get recognition for other things as well.

She jokingly added that on her gravestone will be printed Fucking RIP :lol:

Well, she is still young, and who knows maybe she'll become a great director in the future!
Agnes&Elin Forever!
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:09 am

kant1781 wrote:
codyw1 wrote:Anyone know if Rebecka and

The second, and more obvious reason is: We just want it to be the case, in a way. It is just an ingredient of the sheer magic of Fucking Åmål that we cannot believe that this is JUST A MOVIE. Because it doesn't feel like one. It's like Morgan Miller in his wonderful review of the film said in 2000: "Having viewed the film three times on the big screen, I must confess that "Fucking Amal/Show Me Love" has a life all its own. Liljeberg and Dahlstrom give performances that are not only super realistic, but also genuine. Upon leaving the theater each time, I find it absolutely impossible to believe that Agnes and Elin are fictional characters that do not exist. It's a heartbreaking thought and I just refuse to believe it." And so do we. We yearn for the thought that it's not just over any time the credits start to roll. Unfortunately, reality is no consolation here. We have to face it...

Aww. My little heart 'tis breaking. :cry:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby Ian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:15 am

[quote="kant1781
And, guys, it's probably superfluous to say that, and don't get me wrong, but be sensible with that website... :wink: If it gets flooded by people trying to get in touch with her or sending her flowers, all that will happen is that it will be taken down.[/quote]

Oops, too late. :oops: To be fair, I just said I thought she was a wonderful actress and I hope we see her again in something sometime.

Not too terrible, surely? No flowers were involved, I swear. :wink: :lol:
Ian
Webmaster

Postby kant1781 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am

codyw1 wrote:Not too terrible, surely? No flowers were involved, I swear. :wink: :lol:

No, sounds quite tasteful! :lol: Who knows - maybe I'm wrong and she may even reply. There surely hasn't been that much fanmail in recent years.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby kant1781 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:13 am

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:But of course everybody wanted their on-screen love story to have some truth in real life when the film became such a hit, and you can't blame them for playing along a little bit in interviews at first, I think.

No, surely not. Especially since they could not have any idea how amazingly popular the film (and they themselves) would get. And they were really very young. I'm so glad that nobody asked me to do interviews when I was between 14 and 17 years old, so that even today I would still have to read all the nonsense that I would have talked. :oops:

Agnes&Elin Forever! wrote:She also said in a Swedish newspaper at the time that she is still always associated to Fucking Åmål by media in Sweden, she said it's a beautiful film but she wants to get recognition for other things as well. She jokingly added that on her gravestone will be printed Fucking RIP :lol:

:lol: I can understand that very well. It must be like being a singer or a band who want to present their new songs and stuff, but in concerts people just call for their old mega-hit from the eighties... The problem for Alexandra (and Rebecka as well, though she doesn't care any more) is that they somehow failed to deliver the second hit single, so to speak. They did get recognition for some of the things they did afterwards, but none came even close to being in the same league as Fucking Åmål.
kant1781
Crew Member

Postby Ian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 am

I'm not holding my breath for a reply, though. She's probably fed up of us freaks.;)

On the other hand, like you said, it can't hurt to let her know there are still people who'd like to see her act again. Maybe she's still inundated, maybe she isn't... who the hell knows?!
Ian
Webmaster

Previous

Return to Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love)